New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2016, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by lu4414
Padawan
Brazil, SP, São Paulo
Joined Jan 2015
124 Posts
Help!
How far i can discharge a battery safely?

Hi
I`m going to build my first tricopter (also my fisrt eletric model) so i want know whats the mimimum voltage per cell in my battery that still safe and will not short my battery life too much, but also will let me fly for a reasonble time?
Any recomendations will be apreciate!
lu4414 is offline Find More Posts by lu4414
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2016, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
12,677 Posts
3.7V/cell. I shoot for 3.8V/cell.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 08, 2016, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by kamcoman
Douglasville, GA
Joined Sep 2004
489 Posts
Lots of Tri-copter info in the Multirotor Forums here on RC Groups. To know how to answer your minimum voltage question we would need to know what kind of battery you are talking about. Lithium Polymer battery packs typically should not be discharged lower than a resting voltage of 3.7V per cell. This usually means you can run them down to about 3.3V under load. When I built my multirotor, I got a lot of info from the Scratchbuilt MultirotorForum.
kamcoman is online now Find More Posts by kamcoman
Old Jan 08, 2016, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by losi man
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Oct 2015
1,315 Posts
110% agree....3.3/2.4 ubder load.. let stand a few min cells rat 3.7..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcoman View Post
Lots of Tri-copter info in the Multirotor Forums here on RC Groups. To know how to answer your minimum voltage question we would need to know what kind of battery you are talking about. Lithium Polymer battery packs typically should not be discharged lower than a resting voltage of 3.7V per cell. This usually means you can run them down to about 3.3V under load. When I built my multirotor, I got a lot of info from the Scratchbuilt MultirotorForum.
losi man is online now Find More Posts by losi man
Old Jan 08, 2016, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
3.7V/cell. I shoot for 3.8V/cell.
That's about 50% discharged at that level. You can safely fly them lower than that, but I try to store them around 3.7V/cell to maximize life.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jan 08, 2016, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by FiftySlicks
United Kingdom, Scotland, Livingston
Joined Jun 2014
281 Posts
3.7v unloaded/resting voltage is about 20% capacity remaining, this is what you want to aim for to maximise the lifetime of the pack. Discharging below 20% once or twice won't cause much harm but you don't want to make a habit of it (though if the choice is between going below 20% or crashing...definitely sacrifice the pack for the sake of the craft).

In order to get 3.7v resting voltage you'll have to go somewhere below that in flight. Depending on the current draw and condition of the battery that might be anything from 3.6v down to 3.3v. Below 3v/cell you begin damaging the cells so avoid that.
FiftySlicks is offline Find More Posts by FiftySlicks
Old Jan 08, 2016, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
12,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
That's about 50% discharged at that level. You can safely fly them lower than that, but I try to store them around 3.7V/cell to maximize life.
More like 40%. But yes, I can fly them lower. I prefer to get them close to storage charge instead.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 09, 2016, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by lu4414
Padawan
Brazil, SP, São Paulo
Joined Jan 2015
124 Posts
Thanks by all inputs...any other trough of lipo will be aprecciate!
lu4414 is offline Find More Posts by lu4414
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
More like 40%. But yes, I can fly them lower. I prefer to get them close to storage charge instead.
It depends what I'm flying, but I often run mine a bit lower, and then the last flight of the day I only go down to storage charge. It's just a matter of preference.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S