New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by RickAvery
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,160 Posts
Discussion
Well, it's finally happened!!

After close to a decade of buying and selling RC stuff, I've finally been hosed. It appears that someone has stolen my shipment from my mailbox. The seller, a known hobby outlet, and the USPS both have the same info as far as the delivery of my package, (Hyperion P-51). I live in a rural area and the USPS usually just leaves moderate sized packages on the top of the mailboxes. I contacted the local USPS office and they say that the package was delivered on Dec. 26th. Now, it is very unusual for them to leave a box the size of the P-51 and there is usually a pink slip stating that the package can be picked up at the post office. But this time they say they left it under the mailboxes. Is there really any recourse for stolen packages once they have arrived to there destination? I don't believe the hobby store is at fault, and although I have my doubts with the postal service as leaving a box that size is unprecidented until now, I really have no hard proof that they are not being truthful. I payed with payPal, but starting a dispute case with them I'm thinking will only stop, or delay payment to the hobby shop who has no fault in the matter. I can and will report it to the local police, but mostly as a move of protocol as I don't really believe that the package will be recovered. Any ideas??

Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by Hmerly
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
1,487 Posts
Nothing much you can really do. I get my shipments sent to my neighbors all the time. I'll check tracking and it shows delivered, yet I get home and there is nothing there. I always drive around my street and try to spot boxes on porches and by doorways. I;ve found 2 packages this way. I just go and pick it up and head home.
Hmerly is offline Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by porcia83
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,329 Posts
This stinks. I don't think you can do much about this, any general idea who might have done this?

Check your local Craigslist postings, Backpage, and even Ebay for the item. You might get lucky there, but even then it's iffy. For future purchases like this have them do signature required if possible.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,614 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Another good reason to ask that items be shipped "signature required".
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by Bigster
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
6,551 Posts
Post a sign on the mailboxes "asking" if anyone "accidentally" picked up your box. Some parent may have an explanation for their child's new toy...
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
615 Posts
The postal service should be somewhat responsible. They can bring it to your door and leave a slip for redelivery or pickup.I would go to your local office and find out why it was left like that. They can research it where it went if it was delivered elsewhere. I wouldn't let them off the hook.

I had a expensive item that I sent with signature conformation and insured priority mail. The carrier left it.
I had to go 3 weeks back and forth. It was a ebay sale and they wouldn't release the money because it never showed delivered. Hence, I don't sell on ebay.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Last edited by Beardiedrg; Jan 04, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,330 Posts
If paid with a CC file with them and see where it goes. Bottom line, you didn't get it.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:12 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,160 Posts
Thank you all for your time to respond. I will check craigslist and ebay. In the rural area where I live, we have a bank of 4 mailboxes all on one stand. 4 of us live between 1/4 and 1 mile down the dirt road and we all have large boxes where most smaller packages can be put inside. Larger deliveries are usually left on the top of or between the boxes. Something as large as a model plane would certainly need to be left on the ground. As for a neighbor being suspect, we've all known each other for years and many for decades. Not what I'd consider a possibility. I'm afraid that I don't really trust the USPS. I've had two weeks off of work, and the mail has been picked up each day. This means that someone would have had to have taken it in broad daylight. The road I live off of is a dead end road which means that the overwhelming majority of traffic is from my neighbors. I don't think the USPS has stolen the package, My guess is that they just don't want to be bothered trying to locate it or write up reports for lost packages. I'm bummin!!

Rick
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by sagomon
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
1,249 Posts
Still file a police report you never know what they can find out
sagomon is offline Find More Posts by sagomon
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:25 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagomon View Post
Still file a police report you never know what they can find out
Will do! Thanks

Rick
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
615 Posts
They were paid to deliver it to you. I would go see them. I can't believe that would of been left. Have you talked to the carrier.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:38 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiedrg View Post
They were paid to deliver it to you. I would go see them. I can't believe that would of been left. Have you talked to the carrier.
I talked to someone at the local post office who said they looked around the office for the package, and did not find it. he also said he just talked to the carrier who says he remembers the 'Large' package and left it under the mailboxes. Where I live I'm told is known as 'Rural route #1' by the post office. It's not unusual for the carrier to leave packages at the mailboxes as they will not drive down the dirt road to our homes, it is however unusual to leave such a large box. Just not looking good.

Rick
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2006
615 Posts
Wow, they drive down dirt, mud, snow, ice roads here in Mi. I hope you get this rectified somehow. I would be smoking over this. I think you can sign a form for them to make pickups only on your packages larger than your mailbox. Signature conformation they would have to drive to your door.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by porcia83
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiedrg View Post
They will say that they did deliver it, and did the same they have done all along with other packages, which was leaving it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAvery View Post
I talked to someone at the local post office who said they looked around the office for the package, and did not find it. he also said he just talked to the carrier who says he remembers the 'Large' package and left it under the mailboxes. Where I live I'm told is known as 'Rural route #1' by the post office. It's not unusual for the carrier to leave packages at the mailboxes as they will not drive down the dirt road to our homes, it is however unusual to leave such a large box. Just not looking good.

Rick
About a year ago I bought something here and it wasn't as described. Seller was ticked off after he refused to try to work something out and I opened a PP complaint. He said "this will never make it back to me". So I sent it with tracking and signature required. One state over too in a sleepy little town. So I'm able to track the package right down to the time it got on the letter carriers truck. Guess what...it never showed as delivered, or could be found. Calls to the local post office are useless, even to higher ups in the post office. They couldn't explain what happened. Not that they would ever say "ya, our carrier did this guy a favor", but that is exactly what happened. I showed the tracking info to PP, that was enough for me to get my money back, and shipping charges. Chances are you will not get the PO to admit any error.

I think the police option might be your best one at this point. I hope you get some satisfaction out of this.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Scale Aerobatic Pilot
Joined Jun 2011
3,718 Posts
So was this package insured?

I agree it is not the hobby shops fault.

I would not let the USPS off the hook. I would be steaming over this.

A few years ago, some items for our wedding were delivered by Fedex, we flipped out when it showed delivered yet we were home and nothing was delivered here. A few phone calls and found out he had delivered over $350 of stuff to the wrong house. I went walking the streets, seen the package, went and grabbed it and went home. I was still furious that FedeX did this, but had I not found it, I certainly would not have just let it lay... was not our fault it was not actually delivered.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings