HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 10:36 PM
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbco View Post
That's a beautiful model. Did you make the front end?

Steve
Thank you Steve. I got the 2mm shaft+bushing and the ball bearing from Lee Campbell, the rest is home made.

--Ates
atesus is offline Find More Posts by atesus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:36 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Kiwi P-30 by BMJR

I finished building a Kiwi P-30 kitted by BMJR last week. I put in some downthrust by shaving about 0.05 inches from the bottom of the nose before I put on the front bulkhead. I added a piece of 1/32 balsa sheet on the left side of the nose to give a couple degrees of right thrust. I replaced the Peck grey 9.5 inch with a Czech P-30 prop I bought from Peck before they shut down. Otherwise the build went well, but turned out heavier than advertised, totaling 56.3 grams without the rubber motor. After temporarily attaching the wing saddle with rubber bands, I adjusted the CG to 3.75 inches back from the wing leading edge, or 1/4 inch in front of the location marked on the plan, by sliding the saddle. This is 9 inches in front of the motor peg, roughly half the peg to hook distance, so adding the motor is not likely to shift the CG. As recommended, I put in some stab tilt to help a right turn in the glide, by shimming up the right side of the stab mount.

The Kiwi P-30 is like a bumble bee, since it is not designed according to all the latest and best practices. It has a low aspect ratio wing and is fairly draggy. It also has a fairly big lifting stab, adding to the drag. The extra area adds to the weight. The rearward CG is further evidence that the stab is doing part of the lifting.

Now for the happy/sad part. I took it to the Bong Eagles Free Flight Meet in Wisconsin yesterday for its maiden flights. The second picture shows it ready for winding. The CG position was a good choice, since it flew from a level launch right out of my hand, helped by about a 10 mph wind to launch into. On the second flight with 700 turns in the 6 strand by 1/8 inch motor ( 120 inches total FAI Tan Super Sport April 2010) it made a 39 second flight. Both the right thrust and the stab tilt did their jobs. Climb was in fairly tight right circles, and glide was also in right circles. So I wound to 875 turns and launched, without adding or lighting the D.T. Fuse. It did not take off straight up as its lighter competitors would, and it tossed about a bit before it left ground turbulence and power burst. Then it kept circling down wind toward the clouds until it became a speck at about 120 seconds, with the right stab tilt helping it follow its embracing thermal off into the distance, past the tree line.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2014, 05:49 PM
Joined May 2009
560 Posts
You don't get any more bitter-sweet than that.

CD
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:58 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
961 Posts
Typical P-30 behavior.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:13 AM
I was 1eyed But I fixed that
Central Coast NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2007
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZer1981 View Post
It's hoopskirt. Plans are kicking around on google. I'd post them up but I'm on my mobile.

I put a tee dee .010 up front, but plans called for a pee wee .020.

John.

file:///C:/Users/poole/Downloads/Clough,%20Roy%20-%20Hoopskirt,%20half-A%20gas%20powered%20annular-wing%20control%20line%20plane.pdf

http://file:///C:/Users/poole/Downlo...ne%20plane.pdf
HUMPHREY1957 is offline Find More Posts by HUMPHREY1957
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:25 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,191 Posts
thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by atesus View Post
My last two builds are at the opposite ends of the size scale. The first one is a Nostalgia Wakefield, from 1956, the XL-56 of Rado Cizek. I just maidened it last Saturday.http://youtu.be/wq8TI8i8iJU?list=UUQ...T2jJNAXrqNM7yw--Ates
beautiful model and successful trim flights, thanks for sharing.

js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain