Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:47 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
Discussion
Suggestions - The Australian For Sale thread

Hi all,

The current Australian RC For Sale thread is open to anyone who has any sort of used RC related item for sale. Pretty much anything can be advertised in there as long as it is RC related. As moderator for that thread It's been suggested to me that it might be better to have more than one thread to separate out all the FPV and multirotor items in one thread, and "conventional RC" in another. This would probably suit those of you who are not into FPV or multi's, it would save you checking the current thread that's clearly full of stuff you're not into. It might be just as helpful for those who only fly FPV multi's (weirdos)

What are our thoughts on having separate For Sale threads divided into topics stuck to the top of the Aussie forum?
What might the categories be?
Should we just leave it as it is?

I'd be happy to moderate more than one thread if you guys think it's a good idea, but I will say I've never really been a fan of forums with a long list of stickies at the top of each page. It will also take a bit more effort as I see it, because I'm sure we'll get ads posted in the wrong thread and I can't actually move stuff on behalf of the poster, I can only delete it. Whatever, still happy to do what I can if it makes it better.

It's worth noting that the RCGroups classified sections treat multirotors and FPV separately, and have a great many other sub categories besides.

Any other suggestions for the for sale thread while I'm asking?

Michael.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:23 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
98 Posts
Thanks,

Is it worth looking at a system like rctrader, ie like the forums Planes, Helis, FPV and radio in individual sub forums?
mrmick77 is offline Find More Posts by mrmick77
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:51 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
277 Posts
It's funny you should mention this Michael because I was wondering lately what's with all the fpv gear up for sale. To be honest I don't care about that stuff.

I think a separate fpv for sale section would be the go.
NOI53Y is offline Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:00 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmick77 View Post
Thanks,

Is it worth looking at a system like rctrader, ie like the forums Planes, Helis, FPV and radio in individual sub forums?
We've already asked, we aren't allowed sub forums in the regional forums, and we can't have a regional forum within the Classified section either.

That would be great though. It would allow individual threads on each item for sale, and people could discuss as much as they like without clogging up just one thread. Alas.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
161 Posts
I think a separate forum is the way to go
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:47 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMcC View Post
I think a separate forum is the way to go
It is, and you're right. But as I said above, it's been tried and failed to get any traction within RCG. They just won't give us one.

What's on the table is separate threads for different types of RC stuff.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:15 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,253 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me! Probably 2/3rds of whats in that Thread FPV/multirotor related and as you say there is lots of people into that stuff but everyone else likely have no interest at all and couldn't find the it more boring like myself.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:49 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,629 Posts
Will it really make a difference?
Why don't we also have separate threads for electric or gas or gliders or boats?
I only want to see what gliders are for-sale, so can you filter out the other weird stuff that for me?
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jul 12, 2014, 06:06 AM
Biomass processor
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Sep 2012
1,593 Posts
I like to see it stay as is, having to "laboriously wade through all that other stuff" takes about 5 minutes, 2 if I didn't stop to read.

Also what other thread is there that covers everything RC, there may be something in there one day that will catch my eye and head me off to a new adventure.

Really can't see any advantage in splitting into categories, at what point do you stop categorising.

So at present there is a plethora of FPV & multi gear up for sale, a few weeks ago it was 3D or was it slopies, might have been boats as well can't remember but it didn't bother me.
cynr100 is offline Find More Posts by cynr100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TriCopters
Old Jul 12, 2014, 05:39 PM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,102 Posts
Separate categories you want now???? What an absurd idea. How many categories do you think we'll need? Where do you want me to advertise my radio or lipo batteries?

Hey Sub, would you mind creating a thread for one-eyed morons that can't coexist with other users. These fools are only interested in themselves.

Don't get caught pandering to these people or you'll be forever chasing your tail. You'll go and make this simple for sale thing dysfunctional and unworkable.

If you find scrolling through a few Ads you aren't interested in then you should stop click-dragging the side bar and get yourselves a mouse with a scroll wheel like this one for $11.50
narcas is online now Find More Posts by narcas
Old Jul 12, 2014, 05:54 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
I find page up and page down keys the easiest
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jul 12, 2014, 06:26 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2013
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post
Separate categories you want now???? What an absurd idea. How many categories do you think we'll need? Where do you want me to advertise my radio or lipo batteries?

Hey Sub, would you mind creating a thread for one-eyed morons that can't coexist with other users. These fools are only interested in themselves.

Don't get caught pandering to these people or you'll be forever chasing your tail. You'll go and make this simple for sale thing dysfunctional and unworkable.

If you find scrolling through a few Ads you aren't interested in then you should stop click-dragging the side bar and get yourselves a mouse with a scroll wheel like this one for $11.50
+1 on that.

I don't mind wading through all the foamies, slopies and other stuff to get to the stuff I'm interested in like FPV and Multirotors.

And sometimes I like to see what others are offering, it's nice to see some quality builds making their way to new homes.

And much of the gear crosses over, and sold separately so why have multiple forums to go through?
DaZa_AU is online now Find More Posts by DaZa_AU
Old Jul 12, 2014, 06:45 PM
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post

+1, And for the seller who has multiple different items garage sale style will have to make and manage multiple posts.

As is ain't broke no need to fix it.

Good grief I'm agreeing with narcas
Kaffine is offline Find More Posts by Kaffine
Old Jul 12, 2014, 07:37 PM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,102 Posts
Everybody comes round in the end
narcas is online now Find More Posts by narcas
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2014
3 Posts
+1 for narcas.

Just tell people to harden up. No need to complicate things unnecessarily.
Evolution is offline Find More Posts by Evolution