Old Aug 07, 2013, 10:49 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Discussion
Durafly Retro Series 1100mm Junior

Okay Folks,

There's a startling new model on the not so distant horizon coming from our friends at HobbyKing. Stuart and the gang are always busy working on something nifty, and the upcoming release is no exception. Based on the classic free-flight models of the 1930's, 40's and 50's, this little gem is sure to please the person looking to relive the days gone by of modeling's yesteryear, but with the advanced technology of today....enter the newest model in the Durafly Retro Series: the Junior!

Now, admittedly, not much is known about this little model, but what I do know, I'll tell you. And trust me: my sources are very well placed....

She's electric powered (despite the faux gas motor sticking out the top of the cowl...nice touch!) spans out at 1100mm like the rest of the Durafly range, and is 4 channel. The model also comes in a very convincing color scheme, reminiscent of the 1940's and 50's.

Here's a Youtube video of the model being flown by Stuart at Joe Nall -- the model appears at roughly the 8:50 mark and onward:

Hobbyking - Joe Nall 2013 Day 7. (10 min 45 sec)

It also sneaks in (unannounced, I might add) in the Hobbyking video demonstrating their latest c/g machine/balancer:

HobbyKing Daily - HK Center of gravity machine (3 min 1 sec)

I am very excited about this release and will certainly buy at least one, maybe two...

Models like this hold a very special place in my heart. You see, my father taught me how to fly RC back in the 1970's on models very similar to this. I learned how to fly on a 48" (or thereabouts) Midwest Models Super Sniffer, controlled by a single channel pulse-proportional Ace radio system. This was built from plans by my father, who converted it from free-flight to single channel RC (rudder) during the build. He still has this model today...

From there I moved to a whopping 2 channel model, a Sal Taibi design a lot of you will be familiar with, a Power House. That was circa 1976-77. You get the picture.

This ingenious little model apparently fly's like a dream (judging from the video of Stuart flying it at Joe Nall) and looks just like the models I grew up with....absolutely perfect for cruising around the flying field on a lazy afternoon!

More to follow....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Feb 27, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:14 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,054 Posts
Sub'd

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:18 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,054 Posts
A still photo...

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Thanks RF, this is sure to be one sweet little model....those old timers were very well behaved...

Might even make the perfect trainer due to it's docile nature and stout landing gear...we'll see!

Cheers,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,730 Posts
That is a cool old timer.

The flying vid shows it with rubber bands but the wing looks like it has bolts in it too and no bands in the cg vid.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Yeah John,

I think the rubber-bands are just there for aesthetics...certainly looks cool with them on, and I'd have to put them on just for old time's sake

Countin' down the days until this one's released and I can bring it down to San Diego and fly it with my father....and then hand him the box....he'd be in RC heaven

Cheers my friend,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:08 AM
Longmont Co.
Joined Jun 2003
119 Posts
When will the Junior be released?
tometech is offline Find More Posts by tometech
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
No words yet from the folks at HK....

I'm anxiously awaiting this one myself as I look forward to flying it with my father...it's right up his alley ! I can tell you however, from a fairly reliable source, that it will fly on 3s1300's...pretty cool if you ask me as I have many batteries of this type waiting for it

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:23 PM
"World's Foremost Authority"
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
615 Posts
Yawn. If it's not available it doesn't exist, no reason to get excited. Get back to me when I can obtain one.

TP
Tepid Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Ever heard of a Coelacanth ?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Aug 26, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
Yawn. If it's not available it doesn't exist, no reason to get excited. Get back to me when I can obtain one.

TP
Now That's constructive...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,561 Posts
Junior's looking good!

Check out this video from the 1:35 mark on:
Hobbyking - NEAT Fair 2013 Day 1. (9 min 14 sec)

If anyone's there, please get photos if you can
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:55 AM
USA, NY, Shirley
Joined Sep 2007
663 Posts
This is a really nice looking plane. I've been seriously looking for an old timer type plane that I could get up and flying quickly. My toddler uses up most of my time and I hate to admit that I have no time to build but I just don't.
I'm anxious to see where this one goes and how long it takes it to get to market.
paulski is offline Find More Posts by paulski
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:37 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2012
194 Posts
any further news on when this is launching?
found this closer image of it which was taken at NEAT.

paul_mccaughey is offline Find More Posts by paul_mccaughey
Old Oct 09, 2013, 04:42 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,795 Posts
subbed.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy