Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Get the most channels you can afford, is the advice I always give people.
I was getting by for a while with a JR11x, but also ran out of channels with my giants; now I am using the 14sg. The DX18 you mention is a helluva radio for the price IMO.

What radio do you currently have?
How many channels is it, and how are they currently mapped?

Are you currently using a lot of y-harnesses, or are all your servos on separate channels?
Unfortunately a new radio wont be in the budget for a little while... right now i have a dx7. I have it setup for the following:

Aux 1 (elevator servo) mixed with ELEV (dual elevator servo)
Aux 2 (Flaps) 3 pos. switch and plugged into servo slow down/reverser module
Gear - (Ignition on/off through optical kill switch)
Ruder - Rudder Servo
Elev - Elevator Servo
Ail - Aileron servo (Y harness)
Thr - Throttle Servo
Batt/Bind - Battery 6.0v
HELI-MECH is offline Find More Posts by HELI-MECH
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:50 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELI-MECH View Post
Thanks a ton, for the water rudders i would really like them to be retractable, so i have made the extra pulleys for a scale retract system but i dont have a spare channel on my radio... everything is used up.

Any thoughts here? I thought about putting a y harness on my throttle servo so at idle they are down and anything higher than that they are up... dont know, kinda stumped on that one, its a great reason to by a new dx9... but then i will want servo for choke, and one more channel for differential ailerons... dx18!
Water rudders are retracted for take-off and landing. It is much more important that they be retracted for the landing. The reason being the relative direction of the water vs. wind. The water is not always moving in the same direction as the wind. If you land into the wind and the water is moving at 90 deg. to the wind direction the water rudders get damaged

I would "Y" channel them to the flaps and have them down when the flaps are up. That way they would be up as you land using flaps. Then the flaps get retracted and the water rudders go down. That would be the best compromise in my opinion.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:12 PM
Joined Oct 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
Water rudders are retracted for take-off and landing. It is much more important that they be retracted for the landing. The reason being the relative direction of the water vs. wind. The water is not always moving in the same direction as the wind. If you land into the wind and the water is moving at 90 deg. to the wind direction the water rudders get damaged

I would "Y" channel them to the flaps and have them down when the flaps are up. That way they would be up as you land using flaps. Then the flaps get retracted and the water rudders go down. That would be the best compromise in my opinion.
Rick
Awesome, thanks a ton, that will work out very well as my servo slowdown and reverser module has an extra port to plug into and I can adjust the speed of it separately than the flaps. This is the route I will go. Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:24 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,700 Posts
Glad to help
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
I can't wait to see how those pulleys turn out, please post more pics when you get them on
Looks like an awesome addition.
As requested, got some more pics, got the cables installed and retracts work great as well. Last pic has the steps installed.
Last edited by HELI-MECH; Aug 18, 2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added pic
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:00 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
973 Posts
Awesome job. I noticed my floats loosened up with use. Did you incorporate cable tensioners for this and flexing during takeoff and landing? Probably not really needed.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,294 Posts
Looks brilliant!

What other scale details have you added?
She shows well!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:38 PM
Australia, SA, Victor Harbor
Joined Jan 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELI-MECH View Post
As requested, got some more pics, got the cables installed and retracts work great as well. Last pic has the steps installed.
Post up your good work here, it will be appreciated.
greenfeet is offline Find More Posts by greenfeet
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
Awesome job. I noticed my floats loosened up with use. Did you incorporate cable tensioners for this and flexing during takeoff and landing? Probably not really needed.
Thanks, I put all adjustable threaded ends in 6 spots, hope it's all good for a any changes if things loosen up.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Looks brilliant!

What other scale details have you added?
She shows well!
Not tons of scale stuff but enough to make the exterior look good. The cowl has functioning hinged doors and painted interior. I plan to do a full cockpit kit eventually but I'm in the works of putting the hangar 9 pa18 wings on with the flaps as the ones I have for the plane are unfortunately scratch built wings I put the flaps in. I have added steps and some details to the floats since the pics. I just crashed this plane after an engine failure and rebuilt it and am gonna leave it on floats from now on.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:38 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,294 Posts
Work has paid off, she looks great!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:44 PM
United States, NY, Otsego
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
How do you manage in such a small messy shop?
Sorry just had to be a smart### !
Looks very nice, I really like your attention to detail with the cables and pulleys, great job!!!
iflyfloats is offline Find More Posts by iflyfloats
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyfloats View Post
How do you manage in such a small messy shop?
Sorry just had to be a smart### !
Looks very nice, I really like your attention to detail with the cables and pulleys, great job!!!
Haha i guess the "full scale" job may be the reason for the "eat off the floor" environment,
Last edited by HELI-MECH; Aug 19, 2014 at 07:23 AM.