Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Usa hk bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good hk external bec
Here is what you want. It has no known noise problems and please do not add anything (diodes, Capacitors, etc.) to the existing circuitry. It is totally unnecessary.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Indeed a separate BEC to power the servos and also an extra large capacitor to handle high current spikes might be a good thing. I don't use them on all my models but on the more expensive ones and those with many servos.

If you have intended to use the model for FPV it might be a good idea to search for a RF-quiet BEC. Some of the switching ones are very noisy.
Could you please provide more information. I am not clear on what you suggest.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 24, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:34 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheque View Post
After losing 3 planes last year to lockout situations I now have external BEC's installed on everything I own.

Unfortunately many ARTF's have ESC's fitted which really don't have that much headroom to cope with multiple servos.

I undestand that Hitec have been producing receivers now which have the facility of allowing separate power to the receiver only which in turn allows a dedicated voltage to be supplied to the servos therefore maintaining a constant supply to the receiver..
I have a Hitec radio system, and I still use external BECs as well as using the direct-to-battery power for the RX. Admittedly, this is overkill since the RX power is good down to about 4? volts. That is, a 3S battery would have to be way beyond dead and the RX would keep going. The RX is powered off the main battery, in parallel with the ESC power. This also gives automatic real-time telemetry of the main battery voltage, which allows longer flight times.

Given how well the Hitec system has been working, I am now putting BECs only on my larger planes where I expect lots of servo load.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Here is what you want. It has no known noise problems and please do not add anything (diodes, Capacitors, etc.) to the existing circuitry. It is totally unnecessary.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
AJ
He was placing an order... Why order a back ordered product? That is why i recommended the ones I did
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:26 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
He was placing an order... Why order a back ordered product? That is why i recommended the ones I did
I think he should have choices. The HK one is cheaper and has more features. Where did you post your recommendation? Did you furnish a link?
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Add question
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
SSS uses 6 servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
I have a Hitec radio system, and I still use external BECs as well as using the direct-to-battery power for the RX. Admittedly, this is overkill since the RX power is good down to about 4? volts. That is, a 3S battery would have to be way beyond dead and the RX would keep going. The RX is powered off the main battery, in parallel with the ESC power. This also gives automatic real-time telemetry of the main battery voltage, which allows longer flight times.

Given how well the Hitec system has been working, I am now putting BECs only on my larger planes where I expect lots of servo load.
On this plane the problem is that the internal BEC is not sufficient to power 6 servos (even though it is not often that all 6 are being used). Several folks (including myself) have reported how hot the stock ESC becomes after a short flight. That is why some of us use an external BEC that is designed to handle the servo load. It does not have much to do with the capacity or lack thereof by the LiPo. FWIW - Following that logic, I always use an external BEC on ALL my planes with 6 or more servos.
AJ
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:42 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post

That's cool Reegor
It was a decision between Futaba and Hitec and at the last minute I went for Futaba as the Hitec RX antenna kind of put me off. Petty I know
However. I only use 6 channel units so no major funds needed.
If the Futaba system works OK I'll hang on to it but may consider a hitec unit in the future. I really like their features even on the 6 channel TX.
It has everything there as standard for crow braking on the SSS.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:49 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
On this plane the problem is that the internal BEC is not sufficient to power 6 servos (even though it is not often that all 6 are being used). Several folks (including myself) have reported how hot the stock ESC becomes after a short flight. That is why some of us use an external BEC that is designed to handle the servo load. It does not have much to do with the capacity or lack thereof by the LiPo. FWIW - Following that logic, I always use an external BEC on ALL my planes with 6 or more servos.
AJ
That's good info AJ.

Initially I installed external BEC's to remedy the lockout / brownout issues but the overheating of the ESC's is not something I had considered was a factor due to the BEC working hard to power the servos.

Good call on that

Especially as you say on the SSS
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:50 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Silliness

Quote:
That's cool Reegor
It was a decision between Futaba and Hitec and at the last minute I went for Futaba as the Hitec RX antenna kind of put me off. Petty I know
However. I only use 6 channel units so no major funds needed.
If the Futaba system works OK I'll hang on to it but may consider a hitec unit in the future. I really like their features even on the 6 channel TX.
It has everything there as standard for crow braking on the SSS.
Thanks for your post. Years ago, I used someone else's suggestion to setup crow and never once thought about the design. I have been using 7 channels to invoke crow (which I desperately need on my SSS, crow that is). It wasn't until I read your post that I realized that only 6 channels are needed - Silly man(me). You gave me back a channel. Well, done. Thanks again.
AJ
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:51 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Awesome video! I lived in Littleton (Ken Caryl Ranch) from '77-'91. Spent a lot of time climbing around the footlhills (Hogback as we called it),saw a few concerts at Red Rocks and went to Bandimere quite a bit for the high school drag races. That scenery brings back a bunch of memories.
Cool. Glad you could reminisce with this....
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good hk external bec
I use the CC 10amp BEC in most of my planes and helis. Never had a failure.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:05 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
A brief word about using a 4S on a stock SSS

Quote:
That's good info AJ.

Initially I installed external BEC's to remedy the lockout / brownout issues but the overheating of the ESC's is not something I had considered was a factor due to the BEC working hard to power the servos.

Good call on that

Especially as you say on the SSS
Thank you for your kind words. I would also like to caution other folks that the next worst thing to do is to "upgrade" the stock SSS with a 4S LiPo. Here is basically how it works (without any technobabble). An ESC (not all) has to take ~12V and reduce it down to 5V (or 6v depending on the Rx). It does this through a "resistive" design (avoiding TB again). Well, imagine the work the BEC has to do to drop ~16v to 5v (which it will). Can you spell heat?? That is a potential fire waiting to happen with the stock ESC/BEC. So, bottom line guys - please don't just change the 3S to a 4S because it WILL work.,.... perhaps at the peril of a very fine airplane. Oh, I know the above very well because I (and I freely admit it) did something like that (another plane-NOT the SSS). See proof below.
AJ
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:14 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your post. Years ago, I used someone else's suggestion to setup crow and never once thought about the design. I have been using 7 channels to invoke crow (which I desperately need on my SSS, crow that is). It wasn't until I read your post that I realized that only 6 channels are needed - Silly man(me). You gave me back a channel. Well, done. Thanks again.
AJ
No problemo

I notice that the Optic 6 Hitec radio has the dedicated facility to induce crow built into it's mixing.
Sadly the Futaba 6EX is a little less able to do such a thing. good radio so far but not with the complexity of mixing possibilities as the Hitec.
I can do it by playing with the mixes and using flaperon but so far I've not got crow set on the SSS.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:23 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Question for all - But a little OT

I have a Hacker X-7 (actually 2). Here is my problem - I fly a 3 channel plane around and occasionally, it will lock out the motor (the controls still work fine). After having it happen many times, I try to fly in somewhat close overhead and push the throttle to zero. I hear a fairly loud "BeeP" and the motor works again. It does this with both ESC's. After swapping everything many times, it comes down to everything works great with no problems if I use a 10A ESC. I several know low amp draw servos and no change. I monitored all changes with a watt meter and I am not exceeding the 1A rating of the ESC. So, the obvious problem is the ESC's (2). Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong with the insides of the unit?
TIA
AJ
The reason I ask is because I would like to "fix/modify" the ESC's to work properly just to learn something new.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 24, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Agreed. Anything more than 4 servos and I won't use the esc bec. I have nothing to do with CC (Castle Creations) but have had very good luck with their products. Their esc bec's are very good quality but I thought I'd call their tech support just to ask a few questions. They said no more than 4 servos and 4 could push it depending on servo type and load. This was on their Ice 75amp esc. I try to abide by the KISS rule in this hobby but have found external/independant bec's to be a real plus. To my knowledge, the only real internal BEC's which "they say" can be trusted are on the Kontronic ESC's. It's actually a separate piece of hardware within the esc. It's a $400 esc, which I happen to have on a Goblin Heli, however I'm not using it either. Go figure.

Now my RTH or ARF Horizon Hobby planes use the stock internal BEC. For me, it boils down to how much $$ I have into the flying apparatus and/or how much time I have in building it. Early on, I went through this exercise enough to drive me crazy.