HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:17 AM
United States, AL, Auburn
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
Discussion
Unionville Dehavilland Beaver - 8' Turbo

Hello Everyone,
I have ~5 years of flying experience, stick built the trainer I learned on, and a profile plane but aside for those I don't have much stick build experience.

The winter if fast approaching, and there is nothing taking up the building table. The problem is I have a Saito 100 that is sitting alone on the shelf with no airplane to keep it warm. So I've decided on the Unionville 8' Turbo Beaver as the next project. http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=UVH010T

I have wanted a stable big plane for a more relaxed flying experience, plus I love the look of this airplane. So as an inexperienced builder I have some questions:

1. Is the Saito 100 going to fly this plane well? Its spec'd out for right in the middle of the range, but realistically will the plane hit those?
2. I haven't found very much information on this airplane with respect to build logs or setup tips. So i'm looking for setup tips? Can I use standard servos? Do I have to go high torque for ailerons or rudder?
3. I'm concerned that the manual will leave 'too' much to the imagination. I can build but with little experience there is probably going to be a better way to do it.
4. Although, I am pretty well stuck on this airplane does anyone have a better stick built kit airplane that would fit this engine and has about the same flying characteristics, but better instructions and support?

Thanks!

Mark
methanolmaniac is offline Find More Posts by methanolmaniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,582 Posts
Hi mark going buy the specifications listed the 100 should be fine in regard to servos good quality 4-5 Kg servos should be fine for all major surfaces. A buddy of mine uses the rule for a scale model to use half the final weight of the model as the minimum torque however if you fancy getting a little more technical jump on the us large model website for a flying surface calculator this will give you an accurate figure.

Cheers Rossco
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
Hi mark going buy the specifications listed the 100 should be fine in regard to servos good quality 4-5 Kg servos should be fine for all major surfaces. A buddy of mine uses the rule for a scale model to use half the final weight of the model as the minimum torque however if you fancy getting a little more technical jump on the us large model website for a flying surface calculator this will give you an accurate figure.

Cheers Rossco
The Saito will fly it fine, I've got a OS 91 fs in mine and fly it at less than 1/2 throttle most the time. and I sheeted and glassed mine. If you've never built a kit plane before you might find this kit to be a challenge although I'm not saying it can't be done. The instructions are good but still leave a lot to the builder. I'm not trying to put you off on building this plane. It builds into a very beautiful and enjoyable to fly aircraft.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:53 PM
United States, AL, Auburn
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
Thank you both for your reply.

I'm still going to get the kit, and will plan to use a standard servo HS-485HD - 5kg/cm servo with the control surfaces on this plane. I am looking for a challenge and think I'll be able to find answers if they arise.

Herman_Munster - do you have pictures of your finished Turbo Beaver?
methanolmaniac is offline Find More Posts by methanolmaniac
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:07 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by methanolmaniac View Post
Thank you both for your reply.

I'm still going to get the kit, and will plan to use a standard servo HS-485HD - 5kg/cm servo with the control surfaces on this plane. I am looking for a challenge and think I'll be able to find answers if they arise.

Herman_Munster - do you have pictures of your finished Turbo Beaver?
Mine is the radial version Beaver, basically the same though except for the cowl
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
Talk soft, carry a big plane.
northern colorado
Joined Jul 2007
230 Posts
Quote:

2. I haven't found very much information on this airplane with respect to build logs or setup tips. So i'm looking for setup tips? Can I use standard servos? Do I have to go high torque for ailerons or rudder?
Standard servos are fine, I used modern mini servos to save weight, I believe I have them listed in my build thread - http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52062
and one I follow on RCC: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=84030

and one other I've used as reference on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1304564/tm.htm

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but those are the ones I have bookmarked - btw, the Canadians are very helpful and many people have built the kit if you ask questions on RCC.

Quote:
3. I'm concerned that the manual will leave 'too' much to the imagination. I can build but with little experience there is probably going to be a better way to do it.
I've read several threads where the kit as been built to plans - and they fly great. A few places are vague, but just ask on the build threads if you have questions!

Quote:
4. Although, I am pretty well stuck on this airplane does anyone have a better stick built kit airplane that would fit this engine and has about the same flying characteristics, but better instructions and support?
The unionville kit really impressed me with the balsa quality and the finished product, if you want a little more 'mainstream', I can think of the following:
There is a 20CC trainer off the top of my head:
remember glow produces more power at less weight than gas, so several planes on this page: http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...=AMR&page=kits
there are a few others out there, but I always remember that one.
maxadventure is offline Find More Posts by maxadventure
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
Swampwater
oakville,Ontario
Joined May 2006
23 Posts
there is the totally designed and documented Beaver by MRaerodesign,and Martin Rousseau is a great guy to talk to.
alex5 is offline Find More Posts by alex5
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:18 PM
Talk soft, carry a big plane.
northern colorado
Joined Jul 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex5 View Post
there is the totally designed and documented Beaver by MRaerodesign,and Martin Rousseau is a great guy to talk to.
Is the Saito 100 enough for the MRAero kit? I thought it came in close to 20#s, and usually had more like a 32cc plus gasser in it. It's a pretty amazing and scale kit, but it sure takes things up a notch or so.
maxadventure is offline Find More Posts by maxadventure
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:04 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
The MR Aerodesign kit is a great kit, VERY close to scale and easy to build (mostly interlocking parts)- but it is heavy and requires a 36-45cc gas or equivalent power plant as maxadventure mentioned. Also if you are not in North America the shipping is very expensive. When I was looking for a large Beaver I too checked out the Unionville kit, but for realism it would be hard to beat the MR kit.

Good luck with your choice

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd