Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:06 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Hi Wayne,

From your manual...

"It is possible to connect the meter in parallel with a working load (ESC + Motor) and monitor the ESR as the discharge proceeds. This will clearly demonstrate the self heating effect and consequent fall in ESR as the battery temperature rises."

Can you explain how you would do this? Would you press the button while the motor is running? Wouldn't this either put an excessive load on the pack and or confuse the meter? I'm very slow when it comes to electronics so please pardon the question.
Scot,
No problem as the pulse is so short; I have plotted the ESR of a lipo pack being discharged at constant current at max C rating and plotted the ESR of the pack by taking readings every 10 seconds. You don't need to remove the steady load, just connect the meter in parallel, as close to the pack as possible to avoid extra connector and lead losses.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,892 Posts
subscribed.

I recently took a lot of time to measure the IR of my batteries using a CellPro 10S. It took a lot of time, but it was worth it to know the IR. I then took each battery and recorded the max watts and of course there was a direct comparison of performance to IR. I then plotted the IR vs. Watts to determine what levels of IR are acceptable.

Using this meter would be a great benefit for pattern flyers to know which batteries are no longer performing.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old May 10, 2011, 03:00 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
subscribed.

I recently took a lot of time to measure the IR of my batteries using a CellPro 10S. It took a lot of time, but it was worth it to know the IR. I then took each battery and recorded the max watts and of course there was a direct comparison of performance to IR. I then plotted the IR vs. Watts to determine what levels of IR are acceptable.

Using this meter would be a great benefit for pattern flyers to know which batteries are no longer performing.
I agree totally; that's why I built the original unit - but I am prejudiced of course!

Wayne
Old May 10, 2011, 09:08 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Not only pattern flyers - everyone who uses lipos in the size range it's designed for. A truly great piece of equipment. Thanks again, Wayne!
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old May 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
792 Posts
Wayne, sent paypal and email to verify you got it ok. Please PM me or email to know we are ok, since mine is backed by credit card-if there is a fee let me know and I will send the difference by whatever method is best.

Roger
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old May 15, 2011, 04:19 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004 View Post
Wayne, sent paypal and email to verify you got it ok. Please PM me or email to know we are ok, since mine is backed by credit card-if there is a fee let me know and I will send the difference by whatever method is best.

Roger
Yes, fine Roger. Unit was posted Friday, May 13th. Usually take about 6 days to US.
Have fun with it ; PM me if any problem or questions.
Wayne
Old May 15, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,892 Posts
I have an IR question on battery capacity size. I measured two big 6S5000mah batteries that are 45C Nanotech. They came to about 1.9mohm. But the little 3S2200mah 45C Nanotechs measure 4.7mohm. Is it just because a smaller cell capacity has more resistance?
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old May 15, 2011, 02:20 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,950 Posts
Yes. With higher capacity typically comes lower internal resistance, especially if the packs are from the same manufacturer, have same 'C' rating, and similar usage history. Much in the same way that larger gauge wire has lower resistance than smaller gauge wire.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
I have an IR question on battery capacity size. I measured two big 6S5000mah batteries that are 45C Nanotech. They came to about 1.9mohm. But the little 3S2200mah 45C Nanotechs measure 4.7mohm. Is it just because a smaller cell capacity has more resistance?
If one good 2500 25C cell has a 5 milli ohm internal resistance, then two in parallel would have a resistance of 2.5 milli ohms. The combination would be a 5000 mah cell. ESR is really a measure of how much the volts drop for a given pulse of current. It is a figure derived from measuring volts and current. Two identical batteries in parallel provide twice as much current as one and hence 'measure' half the internal resistance.

Chris
cjcj is offline Find More Posts by cjcj
Old May 15, 2011, 04:17 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
850 Posts
Quote:
Tony,

I believe that the relationship is approx. linear and suggested a "Figure Of Merit" to replace "C" ratings although Mark Forsyth originated the concept by his personal criteria for judging Lipos. There is a good discussion on it at :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1392662

Wayne
Old May 22, 2011, 06:32 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,283 Posts
Wayne, I think you posted or emailed me at one time the process for calibrating the ESR meter. Do you have that handy and could post again? It's just that anything with linear circuitry in it says "calibrate me" occasionally.

Would prefer to do on both 16A and 1.6A ranges.

Thanks, John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
i think the 6 cell is to much to 3 9 it
turboprop1948 is offline Find More Posts by turboprop1948
Old May 22, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
if the compresser is facing up then the battery will run propely
turboprop1948 is offline Find More Posts by turboprop1948
Old May 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Wayne, I think you posted or emailed me at one time the process for calibrating the ESR meter. Do you have that handy and could post again? It's just that anything with linear circuitry in it says "calibrate me" occasionally.

Would prefer to do on both 16A and 1.6A ranges.

Thanks, John
Sorry John, I can't find a copy but will reconstruct it with a little circuit I use as a calibration device and post it as it may be interest to other users.
Too late tonight - give me 24 hours.

Wayne
Old May 22, 2011, 04:56 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,283 Posts
Thanks. Absolutely no rush. BTW did you ever get another batch of meters done with the proper PC board?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
Sorry John, I can't find a copy but will reconstruct it with a little circuit I use as a calibration device and post it as it may be interest to other users.
Too late tonight - give me 24 hours.

Wayne
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604