Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
I was just thinking which is scarry What if we could fly #10 for 8 hours. How far could we get? Lot further that 90 miles.
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:34 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
Added 2 mil plastic wipers over the aileron gaps. Came out very nice. Will do the flaps tomorrow. This is the way to go for bagged wings.
Greg,
what is the purpose of the wipers on the hinge gap? if the airflow is turbulent that far aft on the wing, will the wipers achieve anything? is the airflow turbulent that far aft? just curious, not trying to challenge you. i was just thinking about this a few nights ago while laying in bed waiting to fall asleep.
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:52 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
I copied Dominic.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:10 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Impressions from Montague

Bit of a rough contest this year as I got steadily sicker by the day and also had a trip to the emergency room for some stitches, but that's another story...

Started the contest with the plane trimmed from some time on the field without a truck, and two really windy contests in Sac that were cut short for technical problems. Turns out the cruise and speed settings were a bit slow. Not sure how much that affected us but we lost by a bit on the first two days. Also Bob made some recommendations on the rudder mix to help with the tracking. More in speed and cruise and less in thermal. That plus a little more down elevator in the run modes helped the plane track better and get back on track easier when it did wander.

On the third day we took off around 3pm which is really late, and got back around 6pm for a win. I fought really hard on that one but had a lot invested in the day and did not want to give up. Low saves are definitely possible loaded up but probably not as easy as with the Supra. Pilot load is a little higher. Also top altitude is a little tougher but still usable. The high point for the week was 1305m which was the limit for the haze that day. Not sure I would want to go over 1400 even straight overhead on a perfect day.

The strong point of the plane is the interthermal speed. Trimmed correctly we are almost 10 mph faster than the MXC. I think the Supra can be in the same range once it is fully trimmed out but in an all out race #10 will still come out ahead. You have to fly it all the time but this plane was purpose designed to win races and that it does very well.

On the last day I chose to fly a kilo light due to high clouds and uncertain conditions. It turned out to be unnecessary but it was a good experiment. The plane was no easier to thermal but definitely went up faster. There were at least two instances where I was able to climb through multiple planes and come out on top. Interthermal speed was still very good though I was conservative since the sink was not very strong.

Due to a bad handoff the plane was damaged a bit. I plan to fix this one and start one more over the winter. I think it can be made out of glass skins as the one we broke held up surprisingly well. That should knock about $500 out of the cost.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:21 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
repairs

The plane went in from a couple hundred feet at least. It was fortunate enough to hit a field that was underwater so the impact was not too hard. Still it would have been a lot worse with some other type planes.

If anyone doubts the spar construction on the Supra web page, both joiners were broken and the spars and boxes were completely intact. The impact was hard enough to shear all the bolts, shave a slice off the front of the fuse, and put some sizable dents in the wings.

I like to start with the easy parts first. The back of the fuse had some crazing in the kevlar that I had to hit with CA. That's it, just some crazing in the tail boom. The rest is cosmetic. I had to make a piece of donor skin for the nose using the mold and some glass cloth. That was not so bad either. The fuse is now out for cosmetic work as I move on to the tail and wings.

The stab had to be rebagged and filled. It is also ready to go out for cosmetic work.

More to follow.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:35 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
The fuse came back from the body shop better than the original paint job. No sign of the damage. Just need to cut the hatch line with car body scissors when the wing is mounted.

One wing is rebagged, filled, and out for body work. Next step is the other wing, which is a bit more of a project.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:16 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Got my Pico back good as new, with a brand new case and rubber tube. Got two new pockets for the RDS. Center section relam is done and started laying filler on top. May need a couple rounds to get it back where it needs to be.

Started on the rt tip, which is the worst part. I elected to go in steps since the break was at a foam seam which separated and crushed a little. The pieces do not go back together quite right. First I bagged the aileron break and checked it for alignment. Then added a little wedge of foam at the seam to fill up the gap and bagged the skin back down behind the spar. If that comes out good I will evaluate whether to try the hot water trick, just force the skin back down with the mylar, or slice a pc of the LE out and replace it. 2 months left and things are looking good.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:32 AM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
Did you see the GPS data log? Day 4 at point 3933 It shows the planes GPS speed at 164mph.
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:51 AM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
139 Posts

Hmmm that's only 263.93 KPH.....

I think there is room for little more ballast and a bit more reflex........
SlopeRC is offline Find More Posts by SlopeRC
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:26 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
The important thing is it did not come apart.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Got the spar ground out and replaced. Sanded the breaks in the skin. Some areas will get carbon cloth, some will get glass depending on the stress level and how much thickness I have to play with. I'll cut the cloth and tack it in with glue stick before wetting out and bagging again.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:53 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Last bagging finished to put new cloth over the cracks. Some carbon, some glass depending on the location and how much thickness I had to play with. Filling done or very close. Almost ready to send out for body work.

Flap RDS pocket replaced.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:20 AM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
The important thing is it did not come apart.
The RDS drives are obviously tight enough to avoid flutter. Still bad luck though but you have a good performing tough bird.
Good luck with it
John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:32 AM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
Greg,
what is the purpose of the wipers on the hinge gap? if the airflow is turbulent that far aft on the wing, will the wipers achieve anything? is the airflow turbulent that far aft? just curious, not trying to challenge you. i was just thinking about this a few nights ago while laying in bed waiting to fall asleep.
paul
I have just come across this question- so here is my 2c for consideration. The aileron hinge point in some cases on the bottom will actually be very close to the transition point at close to 80% of the chord, but even the plastic strip would be enough to trip the flow in most cases, so this is rarely the reason for using the wipers.
The reason for using the seals is to reduce the surface friction drag of the hinge line as this is even higher in turbulent flow than in laminar - around 6 times higher according to Mark Drela. In severe cases it could even increase the wake dag as well.
John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:29 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Got the wings back from the body shop and I must say they look as good as new. One spot needs a little rebag and they are finished. After that it is wire harnesses, assembly, balance, and flight test.