Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:22 PM
Du doch nicht!
United States, CO, Elizabeth
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
A bug is eating my Addi X wing!

So I wonder where I picked this little devil up? I suppose it could be the last time I flew or perhaps it came all the way from the factory in China. Anyway, I checked all my other planes and the Addi X is the only one that is getting EATEN.
co_gts is offline Find More Posts by co_gts
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:30 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,294 Posts
Whoa that could be disastrous, I'd blast that fuse and wings out with some Raid before they do more damage... could Raid compromise the structural integrity?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,310 Posts
Wow, this is the first encident I've seen of a plane being eaten. How long have you had that ADX? Have you identified the pest? I'm going to have to guess if you recently purchased it came from the factory already infested.
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:53 PM
The flying snake
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Sep 2013
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_gts View Post
So I wonder where I picked this little devil up? I suppose it could be the last time I flew or perhaps it came all the way from the factory in China. Anyway, I checked all my other planes and the Addi X is the only one that is getting EATEN.
WOAH!!! I live in thornton. Hope that is not a colorado bug. How did you even notice that?
Grandpa strap is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:57 PM
Du doch nicht!
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Whoa that could be disastrous, I'd blast that fuse and wings out with some Raid before they do more damage... could Raid compromise the structural integrity?
There was only one of these little bastards and the damage was restricted to two rib bays. But your right, left unchecked he could of chewed out a spar or something critical.

Quote:
How long have you had that ADX? Have you identified the pest?
I cartwheeled my purple ADX about 3 weeks ago and was just stripping down the wings when I noticed the damage. I had my purple ADX for about 9 months prior. What's weird is I seem to remember seeing some damage a few months ago when cleaning the wing but never thought twice about it. I just assumed it was a slight flaw from the factory. When I had the wing on my bench to pull the servo I actually saw the thing chewing on the balsa!
I have no idea what it is, kinda looks like some kind of larva state. I have never seen a bug like that in CO before.

Quote:
WOAH!!! I live in thornton. Hope that is not a colorado bug.
When I assemble/disassemble my PA planes I sometimes do it sitting on the grass. I think it's possible it crawled in or went into a wing bag while they were laying on the field. I think I might spray the inside of the those bags with a repellent!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:24 AM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,310 Posts
Is that photo of actual pest? If so I'm going to show it to some who can identify it. I'm curious if it's native or something imported with your ADX
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:35 AM
Du doch nicht!
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Is that photo of actual pest? If so I'm going to show it to some who can identify it. I'm curious if it's native or something imported with your ADX
Yes the very one I saw chewing on my wing. It must have been in there for a little bit as there was also a slightly smaller skeleton it had shed. It was only a little over a 1/4" in size.
Very curious to see if it can be identified! Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:05 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,966 Posts
Looks like it could be the larvae of some or other beetle. Nasty little devil isn't he!!
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:58 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,471 Posts
Wow thats pretty amazing!!! now that you say it.... when flying at the grass fields sometimes scary bugs enter my car.... so definately they could enter any of the planes easily, that idea of spraying the wing bags with a repellent doesnt sound like a bad idea!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:06 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,310 Posts
I showed the picture to a CBP Agriculture inspector that works on the Border and he couldn't identify it by the photo, he would of needed to see the underside and, for lack of better word, face. He does believe it to not be indigenous to North America. He suggested you contact USDA. As some may know, if a wood boring species relocates, via trade, without having a natural preditor it can destroy our forestry.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:57 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,357 Posts
Just need some Mortein!

Mortein (Australian ad) 1950s/60s (1 min 3 sec)
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
subscribed
MicroFPV is offline Find More Posts by MicroFPV