HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,292 Posts
Question
Primer for foam

Can anyone suggest a good spray can primer which won't melt foam? I know the Testors primer is safe for foam, but those small cans go fast and are really expensive. Also, I've heard people use automotive primer in spray guns. Is that safe for foam?

Thanks,
Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,694 Posts
Cover it first with a 2 coats of Polycrylic varnish and then you can spray it with anything. The Polycrylic adds very little weight.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:27 PM
BOTHELL,WA. NORTHEAST OF SEATTLE
Joined Jun 2005
286 Posts
Yeah, and a 25 square inch area will suck up 2 ounces of WBPC! Don't ask how I know.

Overweight George
faststick is offline Find More Posts by faststick
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
261 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I have a F6F Hellcat I want to paint or modify but I was wondering what paints are good. I used to make model aircraft so I also wanted to weather the plane. Whats a good sealer to seal weathering effects?
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Home Depot sells a milky white latex bonding agent in their ceramic tile section. It dries clear and thin with a light blue tint and a semi-gloss'ish finish and can be applied with a brush, roller, or wiped on with a rag.

It's sold as an adhesion enhancer/sealer for putting ceramic tile over plywood/OSB subfloor using tile thinset. Its water based and won't attack foam. Its also very cheap and goes a long way. A quart is only a few bucks.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
This stuff is supposed to be pretty good. I just got some in and plan on using it on balsa and foam. Pretty pricey, but 8oz will do 5 or 6 or more fuses depending on how large they are and how much strength you want, so that amortizes the price a great deal.

You can also get the stuff direct from the manufacturer for quite a bit less.

SpadCat

Here is the URL: http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
261 Posts
I'm surprised that the large model paint manufacturers like Testors, Tamiya, and others havent come out with a Foam Freindly line of paints. I don't see the foam going out of style anytime soon.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:01 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Pva

Hi,

We have been looking for a Foam safe primer too, I wonder if a PVA glue layer would act sufficiently? A very cheap option.
mightybird is offline Find More Posts by mightybird
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:41 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Latex primer used for wall paint. color can be any of the craft store acrylic paints. they have a million colors to chose from. there may even be a primer for the craft paint. check out a Hobby Lobby or Michale's type store.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:12 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour View Post
I'm surprised that the large model paint manufacturers like Testors, Tamiya, and others havent come out with a Foam Freindly line of paints. I don't see the foam going out of style anytime soon.
The Tamiya range of acrylics is foam safe- both the TS (spray can) series, and the small XF series (jars) meant for brushing or airbrushing. I use these on Depron, MPF and Elapor/EPO without issues of the paint attacking foam.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jan 04, 2014, 10:08 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
The Tamiya range of acrylics is foam safe- both the TS (spray can) series, and the small XF series (jars) meant for brushing or airbrushing. I use these on Depron, MPF and Elapor/EPO without issues of the paint attacking foam.
Thanks bro.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:04 PM
United States, KY, Vine Grove
Joined Jun 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Cover it first with a 2 coats of Polycrylic varnish and then you can spray it with anything. The Polycrylic adds very little weight.
Can anyone confirm the above claim being true for EPO foam, or is this true for pretty much any type of foam? And yes, I'm clear on the idea of still trying to always test on either a small spot or better, a spare piece of the foam I'm working with.

Have a cheapy "3D-Hawk" ARF from HobbyKing that I finally just started and I'm currently using Testers for the color scheme on this model, which is also my first build of any type. And Testers has worked just fine on this models EPO foam but those little cans are a little pricey given the quantity in those little cans.

I guess I'm really seeking the answer to this question now to prepare for the custom color-scheme I want to do on one of my PZ T-28's in the spring.

Thanks for any feedback.
vg33 is offline Find More Posts by vg33