HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Piccys up....box of antique junker motors. Got bids rollin in...up to 200 so far.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post21643860
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,924 Posts
I'd like to hear what you all think of RCG and Turnigy gas engines....super cheap.....any positive comments.....negative comments....personal experience??
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old May 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Wayne's got lots of experience with both. Id go with what he says

I know some of the others have been moving that way also.

Im just fixxin to break over into gassers. Ive had experience with bigger ones but I like the smaller ones coming out these days. Gonna unload a bunch of my inventory (glowish)
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Well I ran into my 1st problem. My digtals don't work on channel 8 and on channel 5 it will on go one direction no matter if I go plus or minus.
I have a y servo reverser that I ened up putting on there. But I'm alittle worried how much current that servo reverser can handle and the resistance of the circuit.
I'm also going to need to put some nail polish as glip on the little pot used for matching the servo.
Like I said these servos are fast and they center really well. I can't wait to try them.

K50- watch it on that servo reversing Y. I had some trouble with digital servos and the reverser. (JR servos). They went jittery.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old May 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Well thanks to the DOG and his care package. I tried out an 8 channel futaba rx he sent me.
It works perfect. Just goes to show you about that Hitec stuff. I had problems with a remote kill on one RX swithed it out with another Hitec rx and it didn't like the digitals. Put a futaba in it and she works great.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Snowman the cheap gas engines are like the cheap nitro ones. poor quality and somtimes low on power.
nothing beats a well running engine. For your dollar go DLE.
You put a DLE 20 in that UCANDO it'll be doing it
It'd eat up and spit out an OS 108 as well as the 120.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:57 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,860 Posts
Just for the sake of being able to post a flight video I made this screwing around on RF6 tonight. I learned a new turnaround trick and decided to try to incorporate it into some fun flying. The great thing about RF is that you don't care where the pitts are... I'd have several safety violations if this were real

First the turnaround. It took me about 10 minutes to figure it out after watching a tutorial a few times.

Wamsy turnaround (0 min 14 sec)

Now something a tad more substantial. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=b4azzhmfZpE
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 18, 2012, 05:16 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,038 Posts
Quote:
Well thanks to the DOG and his care package. I tried out an 8 channel futaba rx he sent me.
It works perfect. Just goes to show you about that Hitec stuff. I had problems with a remote kill on one RX swithed it out with another Hitec rx and it didn't like the digitals. Put a futaba in it and she works great.
Make sure you range check and double check those RX's <you prolly already thought of that> since those have been in a box here for several years.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 18, 2012, 05:26 AM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Snowman -----One of the guys in our club has a U Can Do 60 with a DLE 20cc in it with wrap a round or Pitts stile muffle, 18x8 Xroar prop. Flys on a JR DX8 . That thing flys better than any one that I have ever seen
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old May 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
I finely found the problem with the throttle on my T----T150 with Dle20 . The servo arm had a lot of slack in the hole for the clevis and the screw in throttle butterfly was not seated down and tight on the shaft. Now that I have it fixed I get good idle and throttle response, before it was real erratic..
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old May 18, 2012, 05:47 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tower flyer View Post
I finely found the problem with the throttle on my T----T150 with Dle20 . The servo arm had a lot of slack in the hole for the clevis and the screw in throttle butterfly was not seated down and tight on the shaft. Now that I have it fixed I get good idle and throttle response, before it was real erratic..
That happened on a DA 50 at our field and the butterfly moved over enough and kept the throttle from closing all the way.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Yeah I was wondering about those RX's. Do you remeber any paticulars on the futaba 128
RX. It has some green heat shrink on it. Like you had replaced the ant. She looked like she was in really good shape.
I have a Futaba PCM rx but I hate pcm lockout and holds. I want to know that plane is getting hit and with pcm it's not near as noticble.
I still can't believe this Hitec rx's. They work just fine with analog servos, but with digtal stuff they wouldn't work or work right.
Even the A 9 has had problems with different electronic kill switches.
Well more work today so no play day. well just post phoned.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Jan 2005
4,924 Posts
Kerwin.....I'm just looking to hear about what other experiences folks had with other brands......I'm not buying a gasser yet. I doubt I'll put one in the UCD either.....ugly plane needs something else I think. But I got your vote down for the DLE! And thanks for your thoughts.....the package that's "out for delivery" today was purchased considering your valued opinion!

Where is Wayne these days? I forgot to tell him how much I enjoyed the pics of distant stars/galaxies! I bet he's having a blast with his new equipment....hope he's not been cursed with cloudy night skies.

Lots more covering to do today! If the rain stops I'll be able to fly 6 batteries worth at the field....and if the wind dies down......and if I can find enough deet to repel the menacing swarm of blood-sucking black sand flies!

Old May 18, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Jan 2005
4,924 Posts
Here's one way of starting out with a gasser: http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...=AMR&langue=en
Old May 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Well I ran into my 1st problem. My digtals don't work on channel 8 and on channel 5 it will on go one direction no matter if I go plus or minus.
I have a y servo reverser that I ened up putting on there. But I'm alittle worried how much current that servo reverser can handle and the resistance of the circuit.
I'm also going to need to put some nail polish as glip on the little pot used for matching the servo.
Like I said these servos are fast and they center really well. I can't wait to try them.
Sounds like programming Kerwin. Does it work correctly with analog servos they way you have it now? I would just plug some in and lay them out like the ones on the plane. If you have the same problem, you need to look at the programming some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
My 9C uses channel 2 and 8 for Ailvators. 2 is set to rev, 8 is set to normal
The channels are correct but the normal/reverse settings on the servos depend on how they are physically installed on the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I'd like to hear what you all think of RCG and Turnigy gas engines....super cheap.....any positive comments.....negative comments....personal experience??
We had a couple of the the Turnigy 50s and a 26 here. They all ran fine and no problem with power. The cases were machined and looked really nice. They turned the same size props as the DLEs. Unfortunately, the two 50cc planes were crashed and they have not been repaired so I can't tell you about long term.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia