New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by EdSoars
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
Discussion
Breakdancer 2m

BreakDancer 2m, submitted for your inputs: Single-taper 2 meter. The cores are now skinned with 1/16th balsa plus 2 oz FG bias ply outer layer. They are stiff.

This is also intended to have a motor pod. I laid it out just now in Nur.exe with the same flap & elevon layout as the Talus 2m.

Ideas? Suggestions? Improvements? The only thing that is fixed right now is the planform and structure. Well, I guess that's almost everything except the controls, so have at it.

ed
EdSoars is offline Find More Posts by EdSoars
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:18 AM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
The BreakDancer's immediate predecessor was the "Mistral". It had a short life, being lost in the forest at the bottom of 1500 foot slope. That was part of the Great Awakening to the joys of electric-powered retrieval, BEFORE landing hard, down, and out.

There is a video available, but it's late and I just got a message that I can't upload videos in this location. ???
Old Apr 16, 2015, 06:23 AM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
The BreakDancer is now on the bench, ready to install wing joiners and servos. Even I am after too many months of cold and limited shop time.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 04:42 PM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
First off, a few cautionary illustrations:
Photo 1: block-sanding the knife-edge FG TE.
Photo 2: results of lack of caution and work glove.
Photo 3: don't hurry taking a bag job out of the bag. I hurried these BreakDancer panels because I was leaving town. When I pulled off the mylars, they pulled the gel coat off in a few places. Should have been left to cure for a few days.

Photo 4: The root section with cutouts for joiner tube and servo wires. Airfoil is a mix of the positive-Cm PW75, and the fast MH64. The polars look very good, and it has a zero Cm. Tip section is the same airfoil, -2 deg twist.

Photo 5: joiner system: 12" brass tube with EPP plug in each end goes in wing. 9" aluminum tube joiner with 1/4" x 6" steel rod glued in center.

Wing is on the bench waiting for polyurethane glue to set around the joiner rod.

Photo 6: AXI 2820-10 power system: 14 oz. The heavily scarred motor and spinner is why I will build pusher configurations on future 'wings!
Last edited by EdSoars; Apr 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:59 AM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
Today's status: white and cold. Joiner installed, ready for servos. Hoping to get EPP+EPS fuselage pod sanded and wrapped in FG today.

Snow notwithstanding, spring is here, and that means wind and thermals. Time to get this project in the air!

If there's any interest, I'll draw up and post more detailed plans.

ed
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by Knoll53
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
3,086 Posts
You're moving right along on this one Ed!
Looks like a clean wing. Do you fly your test flights over snow?
Seems like and even safer LZ than sand.

Hope to see some video of pure gliding with and without flaps. I predict a lot of "float" in your future.
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:51 AM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
Kent: I tried test gliding over snow, but it was crusty and sloping away from me. I almost never caught up to that glider! My real preference is to test glide over a steep hillside.

Which brings up a tech question:

I have a good video (pre-HD; 2006) of the BreakDancer's predecessor being test flown from a steep hillside, but I can't get it to upload on RCGroups or Youtube. I thought it was a format issue, but my laptop and PC don't have any trouble running it. Any ideas?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by Knoll53
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
3,086 Posts
I find that youtube is the easiest. I just drag and drop file to the upload page. I think older computers may have some sort of IU issues. At youtube you might try browsing to your file rather than drag and drop. Or try a free account at Vimeo wherein you'll have to limit your file size.

You could also make your files available for direct download via dropbox, as I have done here.

Also, you could email the file to me and I could try to put it on youtube just as a test. find my email at www.kentknoll.com
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
Last edited by Knoll53; Apr 18, 2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 05:36 PM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
Thanks very much Kent. I'll get'r tonight.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:10 PM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
There may be a better version of this 2006 video by Greg Luck. If we can find it, I'll get it up here. Thanks to Kent for putting it on Youtube.

This was an intermediate design between the Talus and the Breakdancer. The Talus wings were a series of designs having constant-chord wings. The BreakDancers are single-tapered planforms. Some got built, some not. At about 1:00 and 1:30 you can see the flaps go up. I was just experimenting with glide path control. Upward-moving flaps really do bring the wing down, but being stuck in the sky isn't a frequent problem! Flaps really are more versatile when used in the normal downward position.

Mistral had too little twist: less than 2 degrees I think, with an airfoil that had a pitching moment of about -.020. It flew fast very well, but at about 2:00 in the video, I stalled a tip. It did recover from the spin in one or two turns, but with only two speeds (fast and faster), it couldn't handle light, spotty lift. I lost it before I could convert the spoilers to flaps.

Mistral Maiden 6 17 07 (3 min 22 sec)
Last edited by EdSoars; Apr 19, 2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:03 PM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
small progress

A few steps in making the fuselage pod: basically just a FG wrapped foam plug. Dig out the foam for the battery, receiver and ESC.

I like long wires between the receiver and the wing. If it hits the ground hard enough that the wing and fuselage separate (and they are intended to separate) there will be less chance that the receiver pins will be bent or a wire broken.

The pod will be painted after the wing is seated accurately.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:40 AM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
993 Posts
The motor position places the prop fairly close to the TE, so I installed two screws in the spinner's base to limit the prop's forward motion. This is a 30mm spinner from ArtHobby.