Old Dec 21, 2015, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
580 Posts
Question
55 or 56mm EDF Setup?

Hi,

I am trying to find a good EDF setup for my new scratch-built plane. It needs two 55 or 56 mm fan units and motor (for 3S) that doesn't draw a bunch of current (no more than 20-22A.)

I have looked at several possibilities: the Hyperflow 56mm fans would be perfect, but the motor is ridiculously overpriced ($55/motor!?) Anyone know of a cheaper motor that would work with no modifications?

I also looked at the GWS 55mm EDF. These are good units, but they are somewhat hard to find. I don't know which size motor would work with them (20mm? 24mm? Other?)

I also looked at the AEOs, which are super cheap, but they look junky. I also cannot get over the stupid blue casing.

Any help with this would be appreciated. I don't need a crazy powerful setup - only looking for 400-500g thrust per fan. Also, 50mm units are too small/inefficient and 64mm won't fit.

Thanks!

Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2015, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,667 Posts
If you are looking at 4-500g thrust you'll better spend some money as above. You got no hope on 3S @22A to get that thrust buying cheap junk.
jofro is online now Find More Posts by jofro
Old Dec 28, 2015, 01:10 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
If you are looking at 4-500g thrust you'll better spend some money as above. You got no hope on 3S @22A to get that thrust buying cheap junk.
Are you saying that 22A on 3S cannot be done? Or are you saying that it cannot be done with cheap junk? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
8,372 Posts
Price itself isn't neccessarily the issue.. Matching of bits is.
A haoye 51mm fan has proven to hit 1kg of thrust using a large (but cheapish motor ) and a Lot of amps.
Hyperflow fans read as popular but MY example is a shoddy piece of work.. each to his own
Amp draw is the crux of the problem.. gotta burn Heavy Fuel to get Big power.
22 amps is imo too low unless you have an exceptionally light airframe or willing to fly 'less fast'
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 29, 2015, 02:32 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Are you saying that 22A on 3S cannot be done? Or are you saying that it cannot be done with cheap junk? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
All I meat, with those figures 22 on 3S you probably get lousy 250-300g. max. thrust. Sorry, no recommendations, it's not my calibre these days but there are plenty of guys who could help you, good luck.
jofro is online now Find More Posts by jofro
Old Jan 02, 2016, 07:29 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
580 Posts
Ok, thanks for the help. I think I know what I need to do but could still use some help.

Even though some people have issues with Hyperflow, I ordered 2 of their 56mm fans since 56mm is a perfect fit. Now I need motors (for 3S.) My plane is a scratch-built scale airliner that will weigh 45-50 oz. It will have 2 fans and does not need to fly fast.

So which of the following motors is my best option?

24-33-3180kv
24-33-4040kv
24-33-4875kv

24-45-3790kv

The first 3 motors are the same size but different kv. Lower kv is more torque, higher kv is more RPM. Which is better for a scale, twin-fan airliner?

The last motor seems a bit overkill for a 45-55 oz scale plane. The motors alone will add over 7 oz of weight to this plane.

Any help/ideas are appreciated!
Old Jan 04, 2016, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by SergeyK
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
949 Posts
For my airliner I use Tomazo DF55 fans. I like them because of the low pitch of the blades, thus giving more thrust at the lower plane speed.
These fans are hard to find nowadays and they may cone under different names. But googling might help.
As for motors, I use cheap 20mm 4100kV inrunners from Nitroplanes. that setup produces about 500g of thrust per fan at 25A per motor.

And for your Hyperflow fans, for the same motor size, higher kV will produce more thrust consuming more amps. So you would need to pick up the smallest kV that produces enough thrust at your voltage. And if the current is too high for that motor, go up the motor size.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
Last edited by SergeyK; Jan 04, 2016 at 03:43 PM.