Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by fotoreb
Paul Rebnord
Joined Mar 2015
72 Posts
Discussion
Bungee launch

Hey

Anybody got any experiance with the placment of the bungee launch hook on a wing?
fotoreb is offline Find More Posts by fotoreb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by Rolland Benson
United States, MI, Parma
Joined Aug 2006
203 Posts
Paul

Have been bungee launching Wings, Deltas and some wings that are sort of Me163 looking. In all of these I have found the launch hook placement is not super critical. I mount mine about halfway between the CG and the most forward part of the plane.

I fly foam wings and have been using the 3M Command plastic hooks you buy at places like Lowes and Home Depot. They just stick on the bottom of the plane and are reusable.

Rolland
Rolland Benson is offline Find More Posts by Rolland Benson
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by bobbyblank
Joined Sep 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoreb View Post
Hey

Anybody got any experiance with the placment of the bungee launch hook on a wing?
I used a very short bungee on the launcher I built for my father, with a higher pull strength. it's actually a yoga rubber band cut in half and split down the middle (only using one half of band). Its about 6 to 7 feet long unstretched with 2 feet of cord for launch and hook ropes. Since it is such a short bungee setup, I set the tip of my hook around 2 inches forward of my CG. Was afraid any further forward would burry nose to fast with my setup. Works good. But anywhere slightly forward of CG should be good Start. I just guessed on mine, and was so excited it worked the first shot on maiden test I clipped one of the only trees at my field doing fly by haha haha. Experiment and experiment some more lol.

Links to video of my setup
Wing bungee launcher maiden (0 min 54 sec)

Bungee launcher #2 (0 min 8 sec)
bobbyblank is offline Find More Posts by bobbyblank
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by fotoreb
Paul Rebnord
Joined Mar 2015
72 Posts
I was just out the other day testing my setup...
i put it 8% infront of cg. total cord 30cm. so around 2,5...it works perfect, has a lot of elevator athoroty during launch..
fotoreb is offline Find More Posts by fotoreb
Old Dec 18, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblank View Post
I used a very short bungee on the launcher I built for my father, with a higher pull strength. it's actually a yoga rubber band cut in half and split down the middle (only using one half of band). Its about 6 to 7 feet long unstretched with 2 feet of cord for launch and hook ropes. Since it is such a short bungee setup, I set the tip of my hook around 2 inches forward of my CG. Was afraid any further forward would burry nose to fast with my setup. Works good. But anywhere slightly forward of CG should be good Start. I just guessed on mine, and was so excited it worked the first shot on maiden test I clipped one of the only trees at my field doing fly by haha haha. Experiment and experiment some more lol.

Links to video of my setup
https://youtu.be/FuPnY8LuEn0
https://youtu.be/Q6pU__lG6Oo
Great, right into the camera operator.

Someone call the FAA on this guy!
(Just Kidding )
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel