Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
1,009 Posts
Discussion
Kirkland's Beachcomer

You never know what is out there. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246251
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2015, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,558 Posts
Hi,
That red and dark blue plane is very likely the Beachcomber that Jim Kirkland flew in Detroit Invitational 1965 Sept 11-12.
Below is screenshots from video of "Detroit Invitationals 1963, 64, 65" made by Charles Winter.

In Detroit Invitational 1964 Sept 12-13 Jim Kirkland had a white Beachcomber with red and dark blue decoration, see screenshot below from the video.
Veco kitted Beachcomber and had this 1964 white colorscheme on the kit box.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jan 27, 2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2015, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
20,588 Posts
I had a Beachcomber many years ago. Unfortunately I was just learning and it didn't last long. I have often thought about building another one.

I need an opinion from someone who has flown one. Was it a good design and is it worth building one? I am just an old sport flyer so I don't need a perfect Pattern aircraft.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 01, 2015, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by RTLIKES RC
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Hi RC Man,

I was given one many years ago after I learned how to fly. It was my third low winger after I planted my Goldberg Sky lark trying to do a low pass....ops...lol Anyway, it flew great for me once I got it trimmed out. It floated really well when coming in for a landing. The club member who gave it to me was a pattern flier who built it and finished it with silk and dope. It was a little heavy by today's standards looking back, but I was thankful to get it. Maybe one of these days I might try and get plans to build one.

Ron
RTLIKES RC is offline Find More Posts by RTLIKES RC
Old Dec 01, 2015, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I had a Beachcomber many years ago. Unfortunately I was just learning and it didn't last long. I have often thought about building another one.

I need an opinion from someone who has flown one. Was it a good design and is it worth building one? I am just an old sport flyer so I don't need a perfect Pattern aircraft.

I had one and it flew quite well, after I got it set up right. I was getting aileron flutter and once I cured that and got it trimmed, it flew fine. I used it as a pattern trainer to learn to fly the basic,
Class A pattern. I then built a Bridi Kaos to compete in Class A pattern.

So, for what you intend to use it for, it would work fine.

The fuselage hanging on the wall in the left of this photo is a beachcomber. The other plane in the photo is a Sweet Tater.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Dec 01, 2015, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by Star7
Ca. USA
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
The photo of the kit box says "multichannel RC trainer and" Trainer??
I love the size of the transmitters back in the day. Sort of like cradling a mailbox in one arm. No wonder single stick was popular.
Star7 is offline Find More Posts by Star7