New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,241 Posts
Thank you, Pat. I'm sorry my curiosity about a red knob got us way off track on your beautiful build in progress on the Anson. The good part is that it got a lot of people into your thread and we'll be eagerly awaiting to see you back on it when you can. Your explanation of the type of mixture control the Anson used answered my question very well and I thank you for that. The oldest airplane that I have flown was built in 1944, a TBM Avenger, and, of course, it used the convenentioal system that we still use today. So, I learned something and that was all that I was looking for.

I hope that your wife is doing well and we all look forward to seeing you back on your threads when you are able to.

Jim
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2015, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
7,456 Posts
"..I'm Back.."

Yes, Annie is back! While waiting for some bits to begin a Peter Rake prototype, I succumbed to the accusing stare Annie was giving me from her shelf and decided to do a bit more.

The rather difficult wing fillets needed some work before painting and so they, and the remaining fabric covered areas around the nose were given some attention.

One of the challenging aspects of the build was how to finish areas that had plywood, fabric and metal areas all adjoining! My solutions are being decided 'on the fly' and involve masking off areas to get the desired level of finish. The wing fillets are typical. The leading edge of the wing fillet is metal and will be given an extra coat of spray putty and wet sanded to a higher finish than the rest of the fillet which is fabric-covered plywood. What look like poorly-executed rivets around the fillet edge are blobs of white glue - the fabric of the actual aircraft is doped on over the fixing screws leaving a rough bump. The tear-drop fairing is over the rear bomb bays to give added room for the bomb fins. The fairings were pressed from thin styrene sheet.

Most of the remainder of the nose is metal panels with round-head rivets - that should be fun!

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Nov 27, 2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,290 Posts
Good to see you back on the job..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Nov 28, 2015, 08:01 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
7,456 Posts
...But I digress.....

Everyone approaches a build differently, many (most?) builders will doggedly continue one build from start to finish, AND do it all in a clear, logical and tidy manner. Sadly, I am not one of them
For me, any build that will take months, or even years to complete will have many start - stops, changes of direction and enthusiasm, plus frequent jumps to deal with a more interesting aspect of the build.
I have often been asked why I have many aspects of the Anson 'finished' and detailed while other bits are not only unpainted, but un-covered or even un-built! A hobby has to appeal on many levels and being bored, or disinterested doesn't seem part of the deal. So, here I am with and unfinished wing/engine subassembly and I'm painting roundels and serials on an unfinished fuselage
The answer is ' because I can'. The major remaining part of the fuselage to ponder is the metal nose area and I'm cogitating that. (I do a lot of cogitating) Meanwhile, I wanted to finish some of the rear painting and that involved the roundels etc and so here I am.
Like much of the rest, I am hand-painting the markings and most of the camouflage - I find it challenging, satisfying, has a slightly 'arty' look and just may contribute to the slightly grotty look I eventually want.
Paint is a mix of standard acrylic house paint (green, brown, yellow) and Tamiya acrylic (red/white/blue). The pale colours were added first, then the surrounding background and the second and maybe, third coats used to tidy up the edges. All good fun!

Now it's back the cricket....

Pat
Old Nov 29, 2015, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,241 Posts
Pat, I find your approach to building very similar to mine. It took me about five years to finally see my Rapide take to the air, from start to finish. In that period, there were at least two other big builds of aircraft. I finally, like you, got tired of seeing an unfinished aircraft looking at me and got back on it to completion. It's great to see you once again demonstrating your skill as a model builder.

Jim
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Nov 29, 2015, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by Clancy
Clancy
Davis,CA US
Joined Jun 2005
662 Posts
The "I can make a mess too" photo is a thing of beauty.
Clancy is online now Find More Posts by Clancy
Old Nov 30, 2015, 05:22 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
The "I can make a mess too" photo is a thing of beauty.
Methinks you are a romantic Clancy
Amid this mess, Annie is being used as a hand-painting exercise. I'm slowly getting the hang of it - even the feathering of the green into brown. Brush selection, paint consistency and a steady hand are all important. I'll just continue along one side before tackling the other.....
Pat
Old Nov 30, 2015, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by Robert R
It's a fine fiddly business.
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,811 Posts
Pat,
I really like the hand painted markings and fuselage.
The glazing looks quite spectacular alongside the paint.
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mustang Sally Sea Trials
Old Nov 30, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by mistairjoe
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,547 Posts
I don't know whether you are aware but the Anson was the only plane in an air force designed for sight seeing. Just imagine the thrill of flying over the front with puffs of AA all around you while you are sipping on some Claret, snacking on cucumber sandwiches.Its slow cruising speed and the view was simply to die for (and many did). With all that perspex around you it was an experience that one did not forget for a long time.
Cheers, Joe
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Last edited by mistairjoe; Dec 01, 2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2015, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by gupi
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
I like it when the originals look as rough as your example. Same applies to all WWI types that I like so much. I find it pretty hard to get this kind of roughness in a model though. It's surprisingly easy to get it much cleaner than the real planes.

Superb work as always, good to have you back on the build.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi