Old Feb 03, 2016, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr View Post
A friend of mine completed installing retracts into his MM. Talk about SWEET! With the gear up, this plane is drop dead gorgeous on a flyby! He used the same methods I tried to install the mains. The nose gear installation totally befuddled me but Wayne found a truly elegant solution. He used a Dynam nose retract (from the A-10 / Grand Cruiser) and installed it on the reinforced motor mount. Genius! He has to build up a shim to level the retract. Attaching pictures of the final install. It is a tight fit under the sloping cowl but is completely hidden when retracted. He ran the steering wire on the port side through a hole in the fire wall that was already there.

The model handles the extra weight easily with no loss in performance. The whistle on high speed passes is still there. We couldn't detect a visible change in top speed but looks like it is going a million miles an hour.

Time to carve up mine.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for sharing this nice mod.

Do you have links to the specific retracts used?

Do you have pictures of the mains on the wing?

Thanks!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2016, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by jamesdr
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,554 Posts
Wayne used the Dynam DY-1024 steerable nose gear assembly. You can get it from Grayson <http://graysonhobby.com/dynam-steerable-nose-gear-retract.html> for $12. The mains were from PW-RC.cm <http://pw-rc.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=167>, $12 for the pair. The trick is to make the mains the right length so the incidence on the ground is 0 degrees. Here is another picture of the nose gear without the cowl. You can see the steering control wire going through the firewall.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Feb 04, 2016, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by jamesdr
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,554 Posts
Back on post 1445, I showed the mains installed. Really no bigh deal. Just center the retract on the bulge where the mains go and carefully remove foam with an xacto and rotary tool high speed cutter. This is a lot of fit, cut, fit, cut until you are satisfied. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1445

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Feb 04, 2016, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by tmulligan
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
1,053 Posts
I had not flown my MM for quite some time. Today, I got it out and flew it and was amazed at how well it flew despite the 10 mph winds.

This is really one terrific plane.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Feb 04, 2016, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Sammy70
JOHN 3:16 STILL APPLIES
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,480 Posts
I maidened one for someone last weekend.

All stock other than a 40a esc and APC 10x7 prop.

I wasn't expecting much (other than a boring flight) but was pleasantly surprised how well the plane flew.

Speed was respectable, knife-edge and inverted flight was outstanding and it practically lands itself.

Nice job Flyzone!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70