SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:14 PM
Do it AGAIN! This time BETTER!
WA
Joined Jan 2005
494 Posts
Build Log
9x2 Carbon Prop

Trying my hand at making a custom prop with the goal of making a 9x2 to replace the GWS 8x4's on my models.

This entire process is new to me so I'm learning as I go and comments are appreciated

Here is my progress so far.
ThermalThief is offline Find More Posts by ThermalThief
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2015, 01:38 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Oct 2006
24 Posts
I can't wait to see more of this project/process. Thanks for posting!
sps3172 is offline Find More Posts by sps3172
Old Jan 21, 2015, 08:35 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,401 Posts
This is great. Keep the photos coming. I'm looking forward to seeing the carbon being applied. A video would be awesome also.

thanks for posting.
aerolite is online now Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:39 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
544 Posts
PT CFK in all sizes from 7 to 10.5" in diameter and with lot of different pitch.
using less Amps and have best trust and been lightweight.
second pic first prototype of our own propeller series, this is an 8x2.8 also too less amps to a gws with best trust and real lightweight. more sizes follow ...
Name: PTNew.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 371.2 KB
Description:

Name: LS.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 212.6 KB
Description:
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:36 AM
WA
Joined Jan 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf D. View Post
PT CFK in all sizes from 7 to 10.5" in diameter and with lot of different pitch.
using less Amps and have best trust and been lightweight.
second pic first prototype of our own propeller series, this is an 8x2.8 also too less amps to a gws with best trust and real lightweight. more sizes follow ...
Attachment 7491656

Attachment 7491658
I see you moved away from the center hub on your latest props.
I'm thinking I made a mistake in the CAD and should have used a flat surface for the mounting location instead of the cylinder. While I wait for the ultracal to cure I may tweek the design. It would simplify the layup.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:42 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
544 Posts
The hub by our prop was a bit tricky because it is something we test at moment . Propeller has a V who looks to the front. have had them running at around 100 watts and 10000 rpm and works fine on the bench, so stiff enough for "normal" F3P and shockflyers. next step is to do some test by flying.
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:21 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,235 Posts
Hey Ken,

This is interesting, Adam and I have been talking about making props for indoor!

I'm curious why you chose to CNC cut the positive and then cast the negative instead of machining the negative?

Thanks for sharing this, will likely have a lot more questions!

Rick
rdjay is online now Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:59 PM
WA
Joined Jan 2005
494 Posts
Rick,

The positive seems easier for me to sand and polish. In addition, I can splash a bunch of molds to do multiple layups at once.

I'm working on a downsized Bandit. Downsized to fit my cnc bed .
What are you guys flying?

Ken
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:27 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,235 Posts
Makes sense. I'm still wrapping my head around the drawing/modeling portion of a prop and hadn't thought much about the mold. Will be following your progress here for sure.

So far for indoor I've mostly flown things like Yaks and Edges but picked up a EPP f3p kit at a swap meet last year (Spirit IIRC) and have had a lot of fun with that. Adam has built a scratch f3p plane using carbon/mylar and one epp/mylar kit called a Vision I think. The Bandit caught our eye too.

We've also been following the DIY coax thread which has re-kindled my interested in the carbon props.

We'll have to have show-n-tell at a contest this summer.

Rj
rdjay is online now Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jan 25, 2015, 01:13 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
1,046 Posts
This is cool Ken! I gotta sub ;^)

Also +1 on the ath filled molds. You can even poloish the.

Lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando