HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
United States, KS, Manhattan
Joined Jan 2014
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone Whisperer View Post
...If you don't want to use DJI's updated software, don't use it. If you don't like the fact that their products are evolving, jump off the train and stop using them. Take another path, and use the much less reliable, for more labor and time-intensive systems made by other companies - you can become a tinkerer instead of someone who gets his camera in the air to get things done. If you don't want to become someone who's on the bench trying to make things work more than you are someone who simply flies when he wants to, then consider that all of the technology being offered to you by DJI comes with huge costs and behind the scenes complexities (including, these days, legal and political pressures from countries all around the globe) that would make your head spin....
Well stated.
Flint Hills Dude is offline Find More Posts by Flint Hills Dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
United States, NV, Dayton
Joined Mar 2014
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennongville View Post
JUST FYI ON AMAZON

DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter V2.0 Bundle with 3-Axis Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal for GoPro

$759.00 BRAND NEW, NOT BAD!

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Qu...ords=phantom+2

What happen they up their price to $959.00 and now it looks like everyone else did too. Amazon is the only one selling it for $859.00 now
Tonyray is online now Find More Posts by Tonyray
Last edited by Tonyray; Yesterday at 11:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Usual whisper: "Pull up!"
Joined Oct 2014
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyray View Post
What happen they up their price to $959.00 and now it looks like everyone else did too.
I got email from several vendors showing a promo with aggressive pricing on some DJI products. I presume that promo has now ended, and the prices have returned to normal. They didn't "up" their price, they lowered it as part of a now ended promotion.
Drone Whisperer is online now Find More Posts by Drone Whisperer
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2015
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyray View Post
What happen they up their price to $959.00 and now it looks like everyone else did too. Amazon is the only one selling it for $859.00 now
Yes, it appears the prices have gone back up. I posted it as soon as I saw it just in case people were looking to purchase. I'm sure the prices will dip again so keep an eye out if you are wanting to buy. You could also try contacting the companies directly and offering to purchase at the promo price. If they are good business men/women then they should want the sale. Good luck. I'm holding off on any purchases until I see what the rest of the companies offerings are looking like. The Phantom 2 is looking quite dated now.
lennongville is offline Find More Posts by lennongville
Last edited by lennongville; Yesterday at 01:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Jul 2014
146 Posts
so you really think this is about safety??? I think it is about control.
Now I want to say , that I will not say anything more. I put it to rest.
olderthendirt is offline Find More Posts by olderthendirt
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Jul 2014
146 Posts
Dp.
olderthendirt is offline Find More Posts by olderthendirt
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
Joined Dec 2013
197 Posts
[QUOTE=Drone Whisperer;30628478

(Clip)

If you think you could run a better technology company making products that are emerging and evolving as blazingly fast as DJI's, then you must really have some special insight and talents. But if you can't do better than to compare them to Nazis, then you need to work on your perspective. Take a deep breath and look at the big picture in which DJI has to operate.[/QUOTE]

All good points and as I posted before, if I was CEO of DJI I would be taking even more draconian measures (I'm sure my corporate lawyers could be scaring the #%^*! out of me). Ditto hearing DJI service management frustration with newbie accidents, service and warranty issues.

On the other hand, it puts a different perspective on rights, responsibilities and controls. We have seen others leave our DJI clubs due to prior unannounced flight controls and restrictions (especially copter speed, angle of attack and Low battery control overrides).

It will only be a matter of time before the fear mongering conspiracy types claim "Special instructions" could be activated by the DJI mothership similar to what the Stuxnet virus did to thousands of the Iranian Siemens PLA chip controllers that spin their nuclear centrifuges at the correct speed (or not). So all is well as long as China and other governments are on friendly relations. Certainly it is in DJIs best interest to responsibly sell and service its copters in accordance to jurisdictional laws and reasonable safety management issues. Yet again, we regularly read newspaper articles that have claimed malfeasance and hacking by the Chinese military and organizations.

Bottom line, DJI reserves the right to modify the performance and controls of equipment it sells, particularly in light of media incidents and alarms that drive public FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) and lead to reactionary government laws and restrictions.

Happy trails and skyways, Michael
moonlitnite is online now Find More Posts by moonlitnite
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2013
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
With the Inspire you will need to update within three days or you can not arm you motors. With the Phantom series, we cannot force you to upgrade. However, you will not have the benefit of the new features as they become available. Your choice.
Wait a minute... I am considering an inspire 1 but what? DJI can remotely brick the Inspire if you don't update the firmware within 3 days if release? What if I am not at a place with internet access? What if the new firmware contains unwanted changes? What if it changes the product such that it is no longer what I originally paid for?

Can you elaborate on the Inspire mandatory update part or refer me to a post on the inspire thread.

Thanks.
snowstorm is online now Find More Posts by snowstorm
Old Today, 12:25 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
11,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
Wait a minute... I am considering an inspire 1 but what? DJI can remotely brick the Inspire if you don't update the firmware within 3 days if release? What if I am not at a place with internet access? What if the new firmware contains unwanted changes? What if it changes the product such that it is no longer what I originally paid for?

Can you elaborate on the Inspire mandatory update part or refer me to a post on the inspire thread.

Thanks.
You get the notification in the App. Some updates are mandatory and others are voluntary.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Today, 02:22 AM
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
540 Posts
does anybody know how to install (if it's possible) the phantom firmware in a NAZA V2 ?
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Today, 04:19 AM
Joined Jul 2011
700 Posts
DJI has released the new firmware v3.10 for Phantom 2 series quadcopter

New firmware (v3.10) and VISION apps (iOS v1.046 and Android v1.0.56) for the Phantom 2 series have just been released. Please update your Phantom’s firmware and mobile apps to enjoy all of the new features.

Major New Features:
a) No-Fly Zones updated to include a 25km radius in Washington, DC.

b) GPS Signal Notice added to the VISION app. The VISION app will display a pop-up tip when attempting to takeoff without a sufficient GPS signal.

c) The iOS VISION app is compatible with iOS 8.0. The Android VISION app is compatible with Android 5.0.

d) Rear LED flight indicator display added to the VISION app to show the aircraft’s current flight status.

e) Upgraded Range Extender function added to the VISION app (iOS). When upgraded, it is possible to use a mobile device’s data network to access internet functions while connected to the Phantom.

f) Ability to view and download manuals and new manual notices added to the VISION app.

g) “Upgrade All” function added to the DJI Phantom Assistant.

h) When the aircraft is landing automatically, users can control the aircraft’s position and altitude. During this period, the max ascent speed is 1 m/s.

i) Users can start the motors to take off immediately after the motors have stopped following auto landing.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Old Today, 04:42 AM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
I fly my Phantom 2 and Vulcan hex from some pretty hostile locations such as boggy hillsides, gravel tracks and beaches which can cause debris to get thrown through the props and the risk of tipping over landing on uneven ground. I've used various ways to avoid these risks, but recently bought a custom made multirotor landing pad from UAV Graphics. It's made of high quality heavy duty vinyl and can be printed with your own logo and colour scheme. I'm not keen on hand catching (which is not even an option on my 900 hex), so like to land on a decent surface.

I was out yesterday with the P2 flying from a marshy, mossy hillside and the landing pad was perfect in these conditions. The wind was 15-20mph and it only needed my walking stick to hold the pad down on the moss. Here's a short fun video of the P2 landing on the pad

UAV Landing Pad Demo (1 min 0 sec)

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is offline Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:17 AM
Joined Jun 2011
579 Posts
hey guys, bought a new battery pack today. it says i will need to update my phantom 2 firmware before using it. Do i really need to? whats with the new smart cell thing?
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Today, 09:22 AM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI INNOVATIONS View Post
New firmware (v3.10) and VISION apps (iOS v1.046 and Android v1.0.56) for the Phantom 2 series have just been released. Please update your Phantom’s firmware and mobile apps to enjoy all of the new features.

Major New Features:
a) No-Fly Zones updated to include a 25km radius in Washington, DC.

b) GPS Signal Notice added to the VISION app. The VISION app will display a pop-up tip when attempting to takeoff without a sufficient GPS signal.

c) The iOS VISION app is compatible with iOS 8.0. The Android VISION app is compatible with Android 5.0.

d) Rear LED flight indicator display added to the VISION app to show the aircraft’s current flight status.

e) Upgraded Range Extender function added to the VISION app (iOS). When upgraded, it is possible to use a mobile device’s data network to access internet functions while connected to the Phantom.

f) Ability to view and download manuals and new manual notices added to the VISION app.

g) “Upgrade All” function added to the DJI Phantom Assistant.

h) When the aircraft is landing automatically, users can control the aircraft’s position and altitude. During this period, the max ascent speed is 1 m/s.

i) Users can start the motors to take off immediately after the motors have stopped following auto landing.
Good to see that DJI is taking action... Unfortunately as long as "Drone" as the media like to call them keep making news...(unfortunate) Just a quick question, is this map is update at the moment for airport and point of interest with the latest update? http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc
choopi is online now Find More Posts by choopi