HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
The hobby shop will most likely not have large enough sheets of 1/8 ply to do you any good. Go to the lumber yard and get a sheet of Luan ply, cheap and you will have wood left over. Using balsa without glass will not hold up to the vibration and pounding on the water. Motor mounts and all other hardware you will need can be found a Warehouse Hobbies. I gave you the link in post #2 and thier banner ad is at the top of this page. Tony has been building large gas boats for 30 years and knows his stuff.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
sweet i didn't know you could get it that thin! here are some pics. the engine is sorta rounded sorta boxy. i have three Zama carbs not a single Walbro. thanks for telling me about Warehouse Hobbies pmpjohn, they've got alot of parts.
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:43 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
The epoxy doesn't have to be thinned although it can be. Make up a big batch as you're going to need it when coating the hull. Brush it on then use a squeegee, old credit card, playing card or whatever you have handy that is close and remove the excess. Afterwards before it sets, you can also remove the excess with paper towels. Yes, I typed that correctly as I didn't believe that it would work until I tried it! I was afraid of the paper sticking but use the good stuff and do it well before setup begins. Sand if neccessary and you probably will then put on another thin coat.
I have used denatured alcohol to thin epoxy but it appeared as though it wanted to eat through the cellulose fibers in the wood.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Ok, I thought that it needed to be thinned after reading another thread about this boat in which one persons said they thined the epoxy to apply it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
The hobby shop will most likely not have large enough sheets of 1/8 ply to do you any good. Go to the lumber yard and get a sheet of Luan ply, cheap and you will have wood left over. Using balsa without glass will not hold up to the vibration and pounding on the water. Motor mounts and all other hardware you will need can be found a Warehouse Hobbies. I gave you the link in post #2 and thier banner ad is at the top of this page. Tony has been building large gas boats for 30 years and knows his stuff.

John
Warehouse hobbies has alot of parts but nothing for what you need for motor mounts. They only stock for Zenoah.engines. So you better of making your own motor mounts. Both engines in your pic are not the style Homelites to use. So you got you work cut out to make them work. II the engine had a cutch then it would be a breeze for the 4 point mount. You will have to stick with the 3 point mount. A good homelite to start with is a SX135 Bandit motor. The short block is the plat form for all the motors in that series and most comon to find and fix. You don't need RPM to make a fast boat . HP is what you need.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Last edited by txt killer; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Their was only one engine in the pic. What shud I do about my engine? I glued up most all of the boat's frame and I shud be getting more wood today. I made an awesome new air filter.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Killer is right about your engine. You have a new emission controlled 25cc engine. The old 30cc engine is what Warehouse Hobbies modified for model use for almost`20 years before going to the Zenoah when Homelite switched and 30cc parts dryed up. For sport boating you really want something with a clutch. A clutchless boat can be a handfull to launch without killing the engine and normally requires a second person.

John
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
here's the new filter but i can't find one of those engines.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Apr 2008
515 Posts
You should have no problem finding a model Homelite engine like I posted. They are a dime a dozen. look at yard sales and on Ebay repair shops. They are real cheap. I have piked up a complete triummers for $10 just for the engine parts. I have lots most are the 30cc models with clutches. Your pic showed a homelite in the front so I figured you had one. Here's are some mounting pics. Homelites are easy to find parts for. As for the 3 point mount you can get these parts at a hardware store in the plumming department. You will need. a 1" pvc adapter and a 1" to 3/8" brass reducer and a 3/8" compression washer with a nut and a 3/8' semi flexable pipe. The pvc adapter will need to be turned dow to7/8" to fit the front housing and you need to get a teflon tube at the hobby store. Brand Octura 3/8" teflon tube liner. If you have the flex shaft from the trimmer you can use that as the flex cable. Otherwise you will have to get that too.

I do all my own modifying to the engines I have. So making parts is no problem for me. I have Zenoah engines too but not for boats. I don't trust them yet. I have lots of tuning problems with them. The manual says 25:1 oil mix but I can't get them to run. I am now at 40:1 with synthetic oil and they run better.

Homelites are so easy to run and bullet proof. I have sunk them several times and they start right back up.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Last edited by txt killer; Jul 26, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
The only engine that worked was a homelight which is what I was going to use was what I had in the pic but u said both so I didn't understand u. I still can not find One oF those engines online and the one I was working on won't run any more:. I still wasn't able to get wood today
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
i found two but not working ones which are in new york. can sombody help?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Check a local small engine/lawnmower shop. I pick up some that need some tlc to run for $5.00.
Dave
idocdave01 is offline Find More Posts by idocdave01
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
If you can get a 30cc Hommy WH may still have the parts to do the marine conversion. The 30cc will also have a clutch and be a stronger runner than the 25.

John
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
I can not find 1/8" ply anywhere. I think that I may be able to get some Baltic birch at a place an hour away but it is not cheap. Can I use wood I reasaw?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
it's also to small! arrg!