HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:41 PM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
Build Log
A Warbirdkit.com Defiant

Lately, I enjoyed reading the excellent warbird design and building thread from Longhorn and son and as his Hayate was not available then, I opted for a rarely seen Defiant from warbirdkits.com, picking it up during a business trip to the US lately.
I used to build and design using hot wire CNC, but having moved from a large house with a separate workshop to Montreal now and a cramped apartment, fumes from the hot wire and space are 2 new issues cramping my style...if there was any.
Back a couple of years, I witnessed clubmate Rob McKellar going through hoops getting the details sorted out of excellent balsa design. So, with the limited space and barely any house chores to do in this apartment, it's time to play with balsa and see what good can come out of that.
I opened the box yesterday and had a slow start.
http://warbirdkits.com/Defiant/Defiant.html
dionnel is offline Find More Posts by dionnel
Last edited by dionnel; Jan 03, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:21 PM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
Onto a slow start

The wood and cutting is of excellent quality; good job Viki!

The included instructions are more recent than the instructions that can be downloaded from the Warbirdkits website; the turret design and parts have been updated. The plan in the last sheet was updated as well, with an instrument panel now showing, but sadly loosing the scale reference.

I'll probably follow fairly closely the instructions...we'll see. Since I haven't done much r/c in the past 2-3 years, I just want to move at an enjoyable pace. Reconnect basically. Wild white water kayaking has taken a big part of my free time now - along with a life long of competitive volleyball, but during the winter time, there isn't much kayaking to do and stay warm, up here in Montreal.

One thing I want to do is add a rudder and have a moving turret connected to the rudder movement.

I'd like to put retracts in, but the wing is pretty thin and most of my r/c stuff is in storage...along with a lot of furniture, tools, etc. Finding an item is often more painful than buying a new part or just forgetting about it.

Well, the cramped apartment is temporary...until the kids (university level) move out of the nest for good...So, if it is too comfortable, it will take a lot more time. In the mean time, a reduced building space, indoor beach VBall and kayaking outside...

On to my slow start...
Joining the wing bottom sheeting and assembling the ribs and spars. Hit the first minor cut disparity; the middle rib slot for the spar has the same width as the other ribs, but W5 is wider. (I plan to note these disparities, maybe the designer/manufacturer will opt to resolve them for future buyers and an even better product.)
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:43 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Off to a great start here ! I hadn't checked out Toms site in a while and was surprised at some of the new designs along with the Defiant ( That Typhoon is looking very good ! )

I like the building board too ! I'm in need of a new one and something like that would be perfect .

Looking forward to more of your build .

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:45 PM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Now that's a very clever use of a cork message board. Nice work!

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:53 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,478 Posts
Never built a WBK kit that did not fly very well. Good luck!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:43 AM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind word of encouragements.

The 23in cork message board is a nice handy size for this type of work - so far - and space available. I can rotate the board to work on either end. The store I went to didn't have the 46in bigger brother, so I settled for that smaller one figuring a daughter would claim it if it turned out to be too small...certainly attracted a lot of attention from them quickly after I arrived home with it.

A bit of progress after watching a movie with the wife and one of the daughters; the wing panels are assembled.
I used remaining wood from the included material to make the 1/4x3/8 leading edges.
The center rib trailing edge doublers were also cut from the extra 1/8 sheets. The leading edge ones (W5A) were included.

This thing is moving quicker than I expected.

Louis in Montreal
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:56 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,580 Posts
I'm looking forward to this one too.
Good luck, though as Fuzz says it will fly fine no doubt.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:25 PM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Another Defiant! Great! I was tempted by that kit too, I opted for a Stahl conversion but i'll be interested to see how this one comes out. I'm sure it will be a great flyer!

Will.
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:33 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,356 Posts
Hi Louis,

Thanks very much for the kind words for Drew and me at the opening of your thread!

The Defiant is a great subject and your build looks like its off to a great start. Good luck with it!

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:47 AM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
The wings are moving along.
I find that my eye sight has degraded since I last built with balsa. Also sport a new pair of gradual bifocals that I am still getting used to.

On my good start...
Just about the first I did was to glue the LE sticks to the wrong end, then realized the screw hole was in the wrong place...heummm, promising.

Wing panels have the trailing edges beveled and glued together, a piece of extra 1/16 ply glued on as dihedral brace. You have to slot the ribs yourself for that brace. Some may argue that the rib slot should be already cut, but then again, you have flimsy end panels until the braces are glued in.

I plan to build/design a Buffalo brother after that, will likely use that same wing building technique, but I think I will fancy a half slot for ply braces at the ribs on the panel joints and include the braces in the cut file for good measure.

Louis in Montreal
Last edited by dionnel; Jan 05, 2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: adding text
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:15 AM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
The battery box has an inside dimension of 120x38x23mm. This means that your typical 2200mAh Lipo pack will not fit.
I think I will opt for a 1500mAh pack measuring 100x34x21mm, this way there is a bit of differentiation between my regular 2200 and the pack for this plane and some wiggle room to adjust the CG by moving back and forth the pack.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:22 PM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
Put aside the wing last night and I assembled the battery box, see previous post for battery space. Also started on the fuselage.

I would have liked to have the length of the bevel to make on the triangular material on the rear bottom of each fuselage sides. This would make a for a quick process. Without that dimension, we have to dry assemble the fuselage to see how far to sand.

Louis in Mtl
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:17 AM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
Made progress - a bit - during the weekend.
I used inner rod leftovers from pushrod material instead of aluminum tubing; I think Alu tubing would be better as the plastic tube is much bigger and forces to groove the sheeting and enlarge the holes in the ribs.

Louis in Mtl
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:22 PM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
Been working on the fuselage.
Pretty straightforward.

Glued F2 and F4 to one side making sure they are at 90deg. Beveled the fuselage tail end (the triangular stock glued to the bottom of the fuselage sides) with the other side temporarily put in place.

Then glued the other side to F2 and F4.

I think I just hit the first real cut error.
Not a big issue, but it should be fixed for the following kits.

F6 is not as wide as the fuselage. It is missing 8mm to match the width of the F2 and F4 formers.
Easy to fix, but surprising.

Louis in Mtl
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
Montreal, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2001
338 Posts
A few comments on the documentation/instruction.

The webpage still show the old set of instructions (version 1.0). But the kit was provided with a new one (version 1.1).

Some changes regarding the turret.
The 1.1 version has a couple of comments showing on the wrong page and the plan at the end as lost some valuable information; the ribs are not labeled anymore, W5 is simply not showing and we lost the Text box on the bottom right with the useful scale ruler.
I also noted that the doublers for W5 at the trailing edge are not explained in the text, nor the plan. But a good thing to have to reinforce the wing attachment point.

Nothing major, but I check the version 1 from time to time.

Louis in Mtl