Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:36 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Computers and RC

Being in the computing field, but a clear rookie here, I canít help but think that there has to be some products that link PCs to RC. For example, flight control software that allows the computer to control the model in flight.

Thinking this through it seems to me that the problem to solve is getting data back from the model to the computer so it can react. However, Iím sure there are other obstacles.

Iím sure Iím not the first to try to create this link. Any products out there that support flight control with a computer?
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2002, 02:50 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
I've heard plenty of people talking about such things but never heard of anyone getting it working. There's not really much call for having a computer fly your models for you. Most of us enjoy the flying. It's our hobby

Good luck - Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Feb 25, 2002, 03:40 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
sounds kinda like you're talking about UAV's, computer-controlled gps surveillance drones and the sort. great. but are you going to be standing in the sun with your laptop to control your rc plane? you can't even READ most laptop screens outdoors. what's the fun if you don't control it?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Feb 25, 2002, 06:47 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Completely self-contained computers integrated with GPS capability have been used for certain tasks, but as stated already, we're in this hobby to fly ourselves. I'm sure you could find plenty on the web..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 25, 2002, 06:55 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Good point. However, computing is a hobby for me as well. It would be a kick putting them together.
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
Old Feb 25, 2002, 02:29 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Gee sitting back and watching a computer fly the plane for you. What fun would that be? Lets Dehumanize this hobby and let computers rule the world. Im in the computer business also. Flying my airplanes is an escape from the stress of my computer job. I don't think putting the two together would be a good idea.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Feb 25, 2002, 03:45 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,070 Posts
Actually doing both would be fun. I program real time computers and this would be a very interesting project given the time. In my younger days I would work on the computer at work, then go home and program some more (still do, just not as often). A relaxing hobby if you will....

Real-time computers are small enough now that they could easily be fitted in a plane. Might have to be a little bigger plane than a park flyer to fit all the sensors.....

To get the plane to do rolls, loops and then land on its own -- that would be cool. However there are 'several' (only?) gotcha's that have to be addressed. Inputs such as airspeed, origintation, GPS position, height above ground, elevator position, aileron position, rudder position, throttle position are just a few that the program would have to have real time access to to do this properly. Not a trivial project by far....

Course you could start 'simple' by doing away with most of the sensors and just give commands from the ground with just the basic throttle, rudder, elevator, aileron to control -- you still would need some way of getting origintation feedback back to the computer (the 3 axis). Hit the 'L' key and watch the plane do a loop under computer control.... Hit the 'R' key and watch it roll.... Hit the left arrow key to turn. Hit it again to tighten the turn. hit the '-' key to level the plane.... This could be fun!!!

Hmmm... I bet we could use the trainer port on a TX to the computer to control the plane so a real pilot could take over it the computer goofs.... Now to figure out the origintation telemetry problem......obviously would have to be wireless....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Feb 25, 2002 at 03:52 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 05:43 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I'd rather have a computer (robot?) build the plane so I could have more time to fly it.

How long will it be before I can teach one of these guys to do my building for me?

Robots
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Feb 26, 2002, 11:04 AM
SE England
Joined Sep 2001
36 Posts
I seem to remember some one in a modeling magazine creating an auto pilot for a model helicopter. I think it just hovered and landed if a switch was flicked.

I wouldn't mind something to stop the trees at my patch grabbing planes.

if direction == trees then
turn_away;
end if;

Simon
SimonC is offline Find More Posts by SimonC
Old Feb 26, 2002, 01:15 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I think for beginner planes it'd be cool if there was a receive signal strength monitor in the plane to automatically start circling back towards you if you get it more than XXX feet away from you... losing orientation by getting it too far away was one of the first problems I had as a raw beginner (I'm a partially cooked beginner now
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Feb 26, 2002, 03:49 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
When my dad and I first started playing around with IR for indoor rc planes our first tx was a laptop computer that used the rs232 port and a program I wrote in VB to drive the ir transmitter. It was hard to control and wasn't very successful. We've graduated since then.

Dan
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd
Old Feb 26, 2002, 06:33 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Check out this site at MIT that was mentioned in the Heli forum by Phoenix-IT:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/nr/2002/robochopper.html

It's a computer controlled helicopter that they have a pilot take off and land because others have already proven that part.

quote from MIT It is also easy to operate. While a pilot on the ground manually directs the machine through basic maneuvers like takeoff and landing (autonomous takeoff and landing have already been demonstrated by other researchers, including those at Draper Laboratories), the rest can be done by a person without any training. "Anyone can fly it. I can fly it. You can fly it,"

Here's the other thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=28265

Sounds like an interesting project, best of luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase