HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2014, 11:23 PM
Joined Aug 2007
145 Posts
Discussion
Its been a long time! mini rigger.

Hey guys.
As the title says its been a while since I have been on these forums and built a boat but im finally getting back into it! I've always wanted to build a mini rigger and moving close to a lake has provided the perfect opportunity to do so. I have running gear from a hobbyking 4WD monster beetle ( 2040 4800kv inrunner and 25amp esc).

My question for you guys is how big a rigger would suit this setup, is 4800kv to high and what size prop would be the best? Looking at running a 2cell and possibly a 3cell li-po.

Cheers guys.
dylan gregory is offline Find More Posts by dylan gregory
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2014, 04:04 AM
Joined Jul 2007
264 Posts
Hi
Mini –rigger for me means the rigger into limits for the hull lenght less then 450 mm
So if you have different then my definition you may disregard my opinion.
I have
Mini hydro Tenshock

Mini Hydro (I do notknow the name)Rafael design

Both are mini rigger type.

For the motor 4800 I would use 30mm propeller on 2 S but the current is 65-80A during acceleration. You may need bigger ESC (Seaking 60 or better.) It is depend of your setup experiance.
ivaylo goranov is offline Find More Posts by ivaylo goranov
Old May 18, 2014, 04:40 AM
Joined Aug 2007
145 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes thinking under 450mm length. Would a motor with lower KV lower the amperage? I have very limited setup experience (mainly with rc planes not boats). Wanting something fast but not uncontrollable. Im not fussed if i have to buy a new motor.
Old May 18, 2014, 05:48 AM
Joined Jul 2007
264 Posts
lower Kv motor will lower the current but will be much more difficult to adjust the boat.
On my tenshock miny -hydro
I have Kv 4200 I use 30mm propeller and 3S 2400
Lifepo battery
As per data from the data logger and it further calculations into mathcad is visible that
The average current is 26A the max current is 45-50
But this boat is very well adjusted

So my suggestion is that it is better to use bigger ESC 60 or more. The motor is OK
Old May 20, 2014, 12:27 AM
Joined Aug 2007
145 Posts
Thanks for the help. Do you think something around the size of the Tenshock would suit this motor and a bigger esc? What size is the motor in your Tenshock?

Cheers
Old May 20, 2014, 01:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
264 Posts
I do not Know about your motor only the Kv.
As a volt constant it is ok (what is the weight, what is the resistance and no load current)
On my tenshock Mini- hydro at the moment is with TP 1920 Kv 4200
But tenshock motor TS 1515 or TS 1520 is OK
My first choice is Hivolt Motor if not possible Neu 1107 then TP or Tenshock
As a hull tenshock is an universal boat. As a quality of the laminate technology is far from the recent achievements