Old Feb 06, 2014, 03:07 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
Discussion
Mini Cessna 185st

Has anyone seen this Cessna Plane ?

http://e-domodel.com/views/?deluxe-m...85st-2493.html

I like the looks and how it is designed, tail-wheel and not a tri-wheel like most Cessna's. Also floats available .

Can not find a listing to purchase it, just this manufacturers site.

A Plane I would like to have. Nice .

Any suggestions, remarks, advice ?
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2014, 05:17 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Hi HG, I haven't seen it online anywhere except there was one guy who said he had one in a thread I did on the 182. IMO, apart from the obvious differences between the 185 and 182 like LG, tail and cowl, I believe the wing and fuse come out of the same moulds (just like the 1500mm versions) and have the same power setup. So I would presume they're very much the same with the way they behave in the air. In particular, they're heavy and need good airflow over the wings to prevent stalls, but otherwise fly really well if flown scale like.

I wanted a 185 originally purely because I thought taildraggers would behave better on my sports ground but hobbyking only sold the 182. So I bought one but had issues with the sprung nosewheel and freeplay. It could be converted to a taildragger with holes to mount the main LG forward and to attach a tailwheel but I persevered as a trike until too many nose wheel failures and crashes made it unflyable. For xmas I bought another 182, determined to have another go at making it better.. The 185 out of the box will have the same main LG which is fine and I reckon the tail gear would be more robust than the nose wheel of the 182. It looks different in the photos but I don't know. If they're using the same strut on the tail I'd still try it out because it's not going to suffer the same stress as a 182 nose strut.

On the power side of things, stock prop and motor are ok but you wont get it off water if you try out floats, (based on hobbyking reviews of the 182). My beef with the motor was a threaded shaft which is weak and will bend in crashes, plus a nose over will cause a broken stock prop and limit your choice of replacements. I swapped out the motor for a readily available smooth shaft equivalent which takes APC props and I've recently added a parkzone archer chrome spinner and prop adapter which is a brilliant add on compared to the push-on foam spinner.

In summary, if I could get the 185 I'd swap the motor, add the parkzone spinner, prop adapter and use APC props or similar. I also spread the wheels apart on the main LG to widen the stance on the 182 plus added a parkzone archer nose strut which has immensely improved the 182's ground handling at speed during takeoffs and taxiing. It removed freeplay for steering and is robust on landings. I'm not sure I'd mod the 185 gear unless I had problems but since spreading the main LG and lowering the stance on the 182 was so successful I'd probably do the same on the 185, even for a more scale look if nothing else.

My 182 link is below. The second response is of someone who had the 185 but the photo and video link doesn't seem to work now unfortunately. My last two posts show in detail the mods I did which has transformed the 182 and would apply to the 185 (except nosewheel). I've flown it a number of times since my last post without incident. I'm loving it now but it's taken some practice and two planes to be confident with taking off, flying and landing without damaging it. I don't agree with the 185 or 182 being advertised as a beginner or trainer plane, they're simply not. But a few improvements make it a nice plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695072
bellyup is offline Find More Posts by bellyup
Old Feb 07, 2014, 04:11 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
I been interested in a decent Cessna. I have been researching and looking at different ones from HK., Towers, Parkflyers Rc and Park Models Rc and a few others . When I came across the 185. I to liked the tail-dragger look .

I also came across the EPO 182 , the 185's slightly different brother.

Been debating what to purchase. I read your thread and saw the issues and why's and what for's on HK reviews . In my long years of building planes and very short span of flying them, I learned there are always issues to be dealt with and changes to be made in almost every plane in one manner or another . One person may think it is just fine, than another may believe it's junk .

I actually ordered this e-domodel EPO Cessna 182. just yesterday.

Several reasons why i chose it over the others and one basic reason and that is the EPO foam.
The others have the different material that snaps in half on impact. Most videos of crashes shows they sheer off at the fuselage where the wings mount. Newer version now has wing struts, the older ones did not. So makes me shy away some from them. Plus This EPO Cessna appears nicer and I like it's components,and set up and with Lights, a plus.

I like it's size and it's appearance over the other ones. I actually like the Parkflyers 500 class, however my flying site is small and limited and it is way to large.

So this Cessna was the one I chose..plus i got it for $ 95 bucks well plus shipping, but from the US warehouse the shipping is cheap compared to having it shipped from China.
I have my own batteries and TX-Rx already
The Batteries are the same ones in my HZ Super Cub and HK Decathlon .

Compared to almost 200 dollars for the other ones, This to me is a steal.

I will take into consideration your findings and do some Modifications prior to flight and also see if i can lighten it some and also make 100% sure the CG is perfect.

Now I also bought the Floats, although I do not fly off water I thought maybe at some point I will fly it in the snow...So i actually wanted the mounting brackets more than the floats themselves and If I can mount them the way i think, this one may turn to a Modified tail dragger and if nothing else I will mount some ski's on them for winter.So for 12 bucks the floats will come in handy.
And I see it comes with two props, one in which i am sure is designed for float flying, as is the Cub if one flies it with floats it has to have that prop change to do it right for proper lift and torque.
I am no expert flyer by no means. I have built many planes over the years, but actually only last year have I been flying, with success.
I have a multiple array of planes from 2 ch to 6 ch ones, High Wing to War Birds, Large and small ones.

I appreciate your response and your posts and review. I am glad I read it, I also think even more now I made the right choice.

Can't wait to get it in and come Spring ,fly it .

Thanks Bellyup
Old Feb 08, 2014, 12:18 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
I hope you like it HGhost. I bought it originally for similar reasons. The EdoModel 50inch 182 was just too big for my parks but it flew well and the EPO is rugged. And although I expected I'd be heavily into warbirds by now I'm a bit hooked on cessnas and I wanted to limit myself to 1m/40" wingspan. As for other brands, at the time it was the easiest one to get hold of that wasn't an ARF.

You'll be happy with the EPO and clean mould detail. I think it's one of it's best attributes and that last video I posted shows how good it stands up to crashes. Though of course, crash it hard enough, it will break as my first one did a few times. I'm enjoying the trike setup now but if HK add the 185 at a similar price I'll be sure to buy it and do similar mods.
Old Feb 08, 2014, 05:36 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
Bellyup, how large is the front wheel on the Archer ? is there room on the shaft for a larger wheel ? ( not width, but height ( roundness ?)

I wondered about possibly adding Larger wheels all the way around, for easier landings-takeoffs on grass ?
I put larger wheels on my Super Cub for that reason, that will probably be a Mod I will do with this Cessna.
They make some very light foam wheels and in all sizes....and the way you changed the LG to squat down more and have a lower profile was interesting.
I will figure a few things out before it ever gets flown, may just fly first few times without LG at all and use it's belly to land on and enforce it with some packing tape on the bottom.
My fields are grass and very rough, so i have to compensate for them.

Yeah the 185 looks more interesting, I hope HK picks it up and starts selling it as well.
Old Feb 08, 2014, 08:37 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Our SC got larger wheels too. So many people do it they should be standard I reckon.

Anyhow, there's definitely room for a larger wheel on the Archer's strut but the bend in the wire does limit you to about 1 3/4" 44mm diam. The Archer's is 1 1/2" 39mm. I'll edit with a photo soon to give a better idea. Those measurements are from middle of the tread. You may get away with 2" wheels so long as the tread is rounded back to 1 3/4" diam.

The axle is 7/8" 23mm long from inside the bend which gives another 1/8" 3mm to move the wheel collet outwards, so depending on tread width you could use wheels greater than 2" diam. Tread width on the Archer nose wheel is 9/16" 14mm.

Last week sometime we were flying off the sports oval grass rather than the cricket pitch and found occasionally I might have to give the plane a nudge to get going if the nose wheel got caught in a hole but most of the time I powered on and the wheels skipped over the top and I got some nice long takeoffs. No issues landing really. Soft touchdowns and mains first see the plane roll out nicely. Taxiing is a bit bumpy though. I'll check to see if I got footage of it performing successfully in the rough, unlike my other video showing all the flips and so forth.
Old Feb 08, 2014, 09:57 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
Thanks for the information, just what I needed

I was looking at the HK Club Trainer landing gear. It appears the front wheel and axle is larger and appears to be almost the same shape as the Archer's.

Will have to wait until I get the Cessna in and see exactly what and how to do some Modifications. But since my fields are rough, I will have to do something different with the LG either way, or just belly land , which I rather not do.

Trying to plan a little ahead. Still a few months before I will get to fly anyway .

But thank You for the help.

One other question, How is the Archer in Flight ? being low wing how does it do compared to the Cessna or SC ? Just curious.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 05:18 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
The Archer's brilliant, I'm a fan. Easier to fly probably due to it's lighter weight and it's got decent dihedral which looks scale anyway. It's advantages over the edomodel has to do with quality components and linkages. The foam is as good as the edomodel Cessna though the Cessna feels more solid IMO. There's no lights or flaps but it doesn't need them as such but would still be nice. It's ready to go out of the box and there's no need to mod it. I have epoxied the wing to the fuse though because of slight freeplay that developed after a couple of heavy crashes whilst doing stupid things. On maiden I checked servo movement but somehow didn't realise the ailerons needed reversing. Second major crash was on a windy day with a camera strapped to the left of the fuse. I had difficulty controlling it and eventually tip stalled on takeoff. But, it still flies perfectly. It's only fault is it's not a Cessna If Parkzone joined the crowded cessna market I'd buy one for sure.

Regarding the nose wheel, I was looking online at other candidates today for bigger wheels and thought maybe a PZ T28's might be suitable. It's like the Archer's but has a straight leg, so no bends in the wire are going to restrict wheel size. I just looked up the HK club trainer replacement LG set and the nose wheel does look like it would work too. The wire looks as thick as the Archer's which will mean a bit of fore and aft freeplay in the steering assembly but like I've said in the other thread, there's no twisting freeplay and that's a major complaint I have with the stock oleo setup.

I'd still try it as is perhaps but you may get one or two takeoffs and landings before needing adjustment. Then it's constant, then it becomes unflyable off ground and needs to be hand launched which is difficult without an assistant on this one. It has to go fast straight away and we've tip stalled my first one during a hand launch because it sinks straight away if not thrown hard enough. I'd be hessitant to belly land mine but, depends on the surface I suppose. Tape would be a good idea as you mentioned. You may end up taping the battery cover anyway because the magnets grip it so well that you end up bending it whilst removing it.

On a side note, I totalled my 182 today I'll put the particulars in the other thread but I wanted to get some footage of good takeoffs and landings from sports field grass which I'll upload soon to the other thread. On my third battery I got a bit too confident doing rolls, loops and spins. I powered into the ground from 40'. A better pilot would've recovered. No vid of the crash though unfortunately.
Last edited by bellyup; Feb 09, 2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 06:15 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Crash Bellyup . Have not got mine yet. Will be looking at Mods when it comes in.

I figure I will try and get large enough wheels to land-take off on heavier grass as that is the fields we have around here.

Will figure something out.

Thanks for the Post
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:45 AM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
Bellyup, I decided to order Sensei LG and nose wheel.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...listType=parts

I am going to see how that fits on the Cessna. It is much larger ( not sure of the weight difference ) but it is designed to land on grass better....I am waiting for parts to show up.
Will see if i can modify them to work.

Hope you get back in the air soon.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:14 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
It'd be good if that whole assembly fits to the cessna's firewall. If not, I reckon the strut should slide straight into the stock steering arm assembly and the larger wheel I'm guessing will help a great deal in not catching rough patches. It looks pretty solid, it should do fine.

Still no flying yet, been too busy with work however I nearly bought another 182 this morning but bought another Archer instead so my son can have my old Archer. I will get another 182 soon though. Only 6 left in the Aus HK warehouse.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:25 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
182 w/Sensei LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyup View Post
It'd be good if that whole assembly fits to the cessna's firewall. If not, I reckon the strut should slide straight into the stock steering arm assembly and the larger wheel I'm guessing will help a great deal in not catching rough patches. It looks pretty solid, it should do fine.

Still no flying yet, been too busy with work however I nearly bought another 182 this morning but bought another Archer instead so my son can have my old Archer. I will get another 182 soon though. Only 6 left in the Aus HK warehouse.
Good to hear. I started to make a deal for the 185 through edomodel company, they wrote me and gave me info and then suddenly never returned ( probably a blessing in disguise perhaps ?)

Sent e-mail to HK sellers....they said at this time they was not going to stock the 185 version, but that they would pass it on up and see if they could possibly in the future...so who knows.

Will let ya know how the LG fits when they come in.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:08 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
I realize by examining the Cessna 182, it is the exact plane as the 185 would have been . I received the LG for the Sensei...it is far larger than I thought, way to big for this Cessna.

Had I known this Cessna had the Mounts designed the way they do, all one has to do is easily turn this to a tail-dragger style, like the 185 is .
http://e-domodel.com/views/?deluxe-m...85st-2493.html

The Sensei Nose gear measures 7 inches tall and the wheel is 2 1/4 inches, not sure of the diameter of the gear wire but it is really thick.

The rear LG is way larger as well and heavier than i would have assumed. at the wheel base it measures 11 1/2 inches across and where it mounts on the fuselage is 3 3/4 inches, it is almost wider than the fuselage of the Cessna itself .

But I believe I will simply turn this Cessna into a tail-dragger like the 185 is . I will have to figure a way to set up the tail wheel .

Have not tried to put the Cessna together yet, was waiting for the LG...wish i had examined it closer when i first opened the box, maybe I could have canceled the Sensei LG order...but may be able to use the tires off of them, I like those larger Tires.

My concern at the moment is I can tell the Cessna is nose heavy as is. It has that large metal nose gear mount to put the Tri-cycle steerable wheel into . If I remove it and mount the Rear LG in the front ( as there is a place to mount it already ) I wonder how heavy it will be ?

May equal the weight out with the LG a little further back of the Nose wheel where it would mount and install a tail-wheel, it may be a little better and equal in weight front to back. Will have to adjust and figure out the CG to get it correct.

But If i make this a tri-cycle LG set up as it calls for, I can tell it will already be Nose heavy....moving the Rear LG foreword where there is already a mount for it and take that big Lug metal off where the Front wheel fits into and add a tail wheel....that may make this plane easier to fly and not be so heavy as it appears by your video's it is .
Your landings are really hard and it comes in fast, may be able to slow that down with weight balance and use of the flaps.....may even allow it to fly a little slower and not stall so easily at slower speed, as you mentioned once (already installed flaps can help there to )

Where battery mounts, may be able to move that back a little as well.....not sure yet.

Issue now is a tail wheel....not sure if i can make it steerable with the tail section made the way it is..wonder if I could mount something in the rear as the front and make it steerable from the rudder servo ? Pretty thin and narrow back there. I do see it has a hole back there for a steering rudder when one using Floats, so should be able to install a tail-wheel assembly and steer it with the rudder.
Will have to study it a bit.

I have been working on 2 small Mini Super Cubs, a 3 ch and a 4 ch as well

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...de_2_RTF_.html

I bought one from Hobby-King and the other off Amazon.com

Nice little planes, also have already fixed up a Yak 12, just need to set the CG up as i am going to install larger wheels on it as well. Larger Tail wheel was already installed. Will probably use the factory wheels of the HZ Super Cub on the Yak, seems to be a Nice size to make it land easier and look better ( the Yak Factory wheels are a little small for grass fields )
but it has STOL capabilities which makes it land really soft and take off with little roll.

To many planes, to much to do with them. I enjoy it tho.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:57 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
I've got too many crashed planes. LOL. When I bought a Dx6i as my first computer radio I thought the 10 model memory was a bit lean, but I've never managed to keep 10 airworthy airframes at any point. I haven't tried any other HK planes yet like that super cub. Been tempted but I tend to look for clear canopies and is partly why I chose the Edomodel 182 over some others. It's not a big deal but I reckon they just look better, on the ground at least. The HZ SC doesn't have them but we needed that one to learn the basics I suppose.

Shame about that Sensei wheel. It's hard to gauge how a part will fit until it arrives and like many people there's no LHS to rock up to try a part before you buy. There's a bit of luck involved guessing what will fit. With a couple of guillows conversions I did a couple of years ago I went online and bought HZ or eflite wheels and LG off their micros to try out. A lot of trial and error, I fluked the Archer nosewheel for the 182. I never really pursued the tailwheel option even though I wanted to do that a couple of times, but if I see anything online I'll mention it.

I'm glad you confirmed what I thought about the 182 fusealage being the same as the 185. The front mount I believe is there primarily for floats but is the same position for mains on a 185. Similarly, on the 185, the rear mount is for floats but in the correct position for a 182's mains. The big giveaway though is that mounting hole for a tailwheel.

Back to sorting out the tailwheel, I wonder how hard it would be to get the original part for the 185 from edomodel. Based on your previous email to them, probably wont happen. As I said I'll keep an eye out for a substitute. For steering, I don't know how the 185's part is attached to the rudder but I'd be tempted to run a linkage directly back to the servo to occupy one of the spare holes in the horn.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:30 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
875 Posts
Yeah I have a Tactic TTX650 , 20 model memory and have not loaded all my planes in it yet. Right now I have 4 in it and set up to go. I own 18 planes, ( a few way beyond my abilities ) plus 2 Heli's which have their own Tx.

I have spent so much time flying the Champ and on occasion the HZ Super Cub,( both have another TX ) I have not flown any of the others. I gave the war birds a try which always kept going inverted, scared me allot. So they will be for future flights.

Limited flying area and inabilities makes for some exciting and scary times.

Yeah these Sensei Wheels-LG is way to large
The front wheel is Huge compared to the Cessna

so is the Rear LG assembly

I bought the Floats for this Cessna as well. I have no intention of flying off water, but I thought about using them in snow at some point. They come with the complete set up and mounts.
After going through the box, i see it also comes with a "water rudder" to be able to steer in the water....at it's end it has a piece that it fits into that has a set screw on each side..the kit also came with another bent metal piece that appears to go up into the rudder some how to steer it with the Planes rudder ?

Upon looking at the tail rudder, i do not see anyway to attach it. ? I looked at a picture of the 185 version and it shows that Metal piece that is on the water rudder with the 2 set screws and a tail wheel is mounted onto it...so it is all the same set up, if I can figure out how it mounts on the Rudder for steering ? Looking at the rear stab, the rudder is pretty small and narrow foam, so not sure exactly what to do yet .

The Instructions do not show how to mount to the planes rudder just shows to attach that water rudder to the wire already there, but does not tell you how to mount that wire to the rudder on the plane .

Maybe someone reading this will step in and let us know ? ( i Hope )....lol

Appears just a normal tail wheel will work. It mounts into that piece with the set screw so I will find something. issue is how to mount it to the rudder to steer it ......that is a challenge it appears.

I also knew this plane came with Lights. I see it has 2 in the nose and one on each wing , but also has room for more. Those are tiny plug in's. Most come with an end like a servo, these are different, wish they would have installed a couple in the rear fuselage and the rear Vertical Stab assembly , that would have been nice. ( will figure that out to I guess...I would like a couple back there as well )

Yeah a Lady from edomodel was talking to me and I was going to buy that entire plane, but after she gave me a price and I told her to send me the info to use paypal which she suggested, she never came back.....? That was puzzling, but again it may have been a blessing in disguise. Never know about some of these places. I wrote HK about stocking it, they said they had no intention at this time, but they would look into it, but with already stocking this 185 version, I doubt they do anytime soon. I believe with the tail-dragger style it may sell better. They should offer it with the hardware to do either one, that would be Nicer . For a few bucks more I think it would be worth it.

I am considering using the HZ Super Cub stock Tires, they seem to be a good size, a little larger and wider, they are light. I have 3 extra sets of them. I thought about those Sensei tires , but even they are pretty large , and heavier and this plane needs lightened not more weight. I think the Super Cub stock ones will do. I have large wheels on my SC for grass field, many people use the stock ones and do it, so this Cessna should, I would think . I'll figure it out a some point

Now the issue is the rear wheel and steering...I think that bent rod will slide into the hole and maybe fit at the bottom of the rudder ? Not sure yet, but may have to do some bending.

That gap between the rear end and the rudder is pretty large,should allow that wire to lay at the bottom of the rudder with no issue when it turns.? One of those mysteries to solve.

Maybe someone else will chime in about it at some point .