HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, IN, Elkhart
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
Discussion
Hatfield "Little Bird" Arup type flying wing

I have just completed the build of a scale Hatfield Little Bird. This is a 52" inch .60 size flying wing is designed for glow or electric. I am waiting on clearance from the EAA, so I can publish the original Sport Aviation article from March of 1987.

A complete writeup on the Arup, Little Bird, and my build can be found on my website @ http://www.fancyflying.150m.com/Little%20Bird.htm
patrnflier is offline Find More Posts by patrnflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:56 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,153 Posts
That is one nice looking model.

--Norm
nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, we had a great time building the full size "Little Birds" and this one was a labor of love.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:08 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,153 Posts
Full size? I know a bunch of guys who would love to see an article about that. PM me if you're willing to write a little bit for publication in a newsletter.

--Norm Long time member of T.W.I.T.T.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
full size

Here is a picture of the full size one flying. This is prototype number 3 of 5

Marty
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:21 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,153 Posts
Great picture. It's a shame he didn't live long enough to refine the design to a final form.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
That now has passed to Kevin Golden who lives in Missouri. He purchased the rights, plans and the prototypes. Number 5 was pretty well ready to clean up and put into production. The fuselage mold was finished and several were pulled off it. Kevin has disassembled number 4 and 5 and is in the process of rebuilding several areas to be more of a production plane than a prototype. This is so he can fly them and not worry about how lightly or crudely they were built.
Last edited by patrnflier; Nov 12, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
It Flies!

The test flight has taken place and went without any mishap.

I am using a Turnigy G60 300KV with a Castle Ice 80II and a 7S 5000mah battery. I thought it was going to need a healthy bit of thrust. The airplane came in at just under 7lbs with battery. So, I set it up with a 15.5x13n standard prop. According to the calculator it would yield 40 amps and 80 mph. What I did not think of was SCALE speed......

It got off ok and did not need trim, however, when I leveled out and the speed increased it started pitching both up and down without input. When I reduced throttle to less than half it settled down and flew perfect. Increased power and it started the pitch up, pitch down cycle. Reduce power, equaled stable flight. So, I slowed it down where it wanted to be, and all was well.

After I landed I thought about it. I am at 1/4 scale and the full size Little Bird was a 70 mph airplane. If the 1/4 scale was doing 80 mph that would be three times greater than the scale speed should should have been. So, I changed props to a 15x10 electric. It reduced the amps to 29 from 40, which is still on the high side, but I still want some power for takeoffs in grass.

I also need to change the nose gear. I went to a trailing link and a soft tire. It proved to need more positive angle on the ground and the tire kept rolling to it's side. So I need to lengthen the strut and use a solid nose tire.

Other than that I think I will be ready for another flight. I just need to remember low and slow........

Marty
Last edited by patrnflier; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add pioctures
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,153 Posts
That may be the first time I've seen someone on this forum acknowledge that an airplane can be over powered

-- Norm
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:58 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters View Post
That may be the first time I've seen someone on this forum acknowledge that an airplane can be over powered

-- Norm

Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46