Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
Build Log
Start Of Micro Fokker D.VIII (Using Rise of Flight Skin)

Well, since I've overloaded Pete (mtflyr) with tissue covered Depron airframes, I'll have to get this one flying on my own. I've really enjoyed preparing the parts, then sending them to Pete do the hard work of putting them all together and flying them as a unit. In that regard, we've recently collaborated on these Little Fokkers (in historical order):

Fokker E.III

Fokker DR.1

and most recently, the Fokker D.VII.

So it's fitting that I do the next Fokker in the line, the E.5/D.VIII. For those wanting some interesting historical background on the development of the airplane, go here.

The scheme I'll be doing is shown below, and the general processes I use for tissue-covered Depron models are those shown in this thread: Nieuport 11.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Sorry, but I can't resist saying "this forum is full of little fokkers"
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
References

Shown below are some of the references I used when researching Theo Osterkamp's airplane.

I also referenced graphics from the excellent WWI computer simulation Rise of Flight (http://riseofflight.com/en) --- which I'll explain in a subsequent post:

Gene K
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Oh, Yeah!

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,232 Posts
How do you glue the tissue to depron?
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:30 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo Rubio View Post
How do you glue the tissue to depron?
Hello Alfredo,

I use spray adhesive. Take a look at the underlined NP-11 thread I referenced in the first post above - it will take you through the entire process - from printing on tissue, to mounting on foam, to forming the pieces, to assembling the airplane: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?t=1654543; text and video courtesy of me and Pete.

Gene
Last edited by speedy01; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,232 Posts
Thanks a lot!!!!!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
"Drawing" The Plans - Source

I usually find a suitable paper model and then transfer the appropriate graphics to tissue, but decided to try something different for this model - that is, I'm experimenting with using graphics from the Rise of Flight (ROF) simulation. In that regard, I had an interesting couple of days this week exploring ROF skins - those are the texture files that are used to wrap different schemes around blank airframes. The weathering and shading on these skins is excellent, as you can see:

Those pictures are screen captures showing another great aspect of ROF that is valuable in exploring various aspects of a particular airframe/scheme - the included UserViewer. This is an excellent utility that allows you to closely inspect each ROF aircraft /scheme - you can view the plane from any angle, and also zoom in and out, even to the extent of going into the fuselage, for example, to see the cockpit, control wires, tubes, etc. This viewer also has an Automation feature that shows the prop spinning, guns firing, wheels turning, suspension working, and flight controls moving. Pretty darn neat...and a great reference resource.

My next post will discuss how I manipulated the Osterkamp skin to produce a workable plan.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Aug 19, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I explored the Skin angle and it's pretty cool. They apear to be 2048X2048 resolution, that would make pretty detailed planes.

I downloaded a free .dds viewer and can cut/paste to mspaint / photo editing software.

Since its all about the game playing, Everything is free to us plane builders.

I predict Video games will surpass card models as the next great source of easy scale RC models.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Last edited by UNGN; Aug 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Sorry, but I can't resist saying "this forum is full of little fokkers"
You go wash your mouth out with Depron scraps!!!!
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,232 Posts
I recall I saw in another thread some paterns or a plane like this one, but I do not remember if it was an Dr.1... are you the same designer?

Nice job, thanks for share.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:27 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
"Drawing" the Plans" - Scaling

(Note: this little section may be too detailed for some, yet too sparse for graphics types)

I found two challenges with ROF skins: First, when printed out, the skins are too dark; and second, the individual parts are not necessarily to the same scale (the ROF program puts it all together perfectly though during game play). I think the darkness is related to the Alpha channel (which controls reflectivity and transparency), and I merely bypassed the technicalities of working the Alpha Channel by adjusting the graphic using my graphics program. I need to get smarter...obviously...about the Alpha Channel (among other things).

The first attachment shows the dark original, and the second is the adjusted.

So the challenge was to get the skin (.dds file) into my graphics program (Paint Shop Pro) and then manipulate the resulting image to produce a working plan. I used a terrific little free program called DXTBmp (http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm) to import the .dds file into my graphics editor (Paint Shop Pro (PSP)) and adjusted the darkness, contrast, etc, . I then imported a three view from Windsock into PSP, and cut and pasted all the main .dds components onto it, placing each piece (wings, fuselage, tail group, etc) on a separate layer and sizing each to fit the 3 view. Finally, I scaled this composite for a 15" wingspan, which is 1/20 scale (Pete has a beautiful pilot figure which is 1/20 scale that I want to use).

Here is the general layout that shows the process - the ROF colored parts are semi-transparent in this picture (to facilitate positioning and sizing) -- I rearrange them and make them opaque before printing.

SHAZAM... I now have a paper plan! Well almost - I still have to do some adjusting, but the heavy work is done. I learned a lot, and can now make a paper plan of any airplane/scheme in ROF...with a little effort (flat surfaces like those on WWI aircraft are simple, but not so for rounded).

The last attachment shows a paper mock up of the fuselage.

Gene K
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I explored the Skin angle and it's pretty cool.
Great for getting markings and lozenge patterns (among other things), huh?

Quote:
Since its all about the game playing, Everything is free to us plane builders.

I've seen ROF on sale for an unbelievable low $10 at http://www.flightsimdealoftheday.com. Added to the skins that come with the game, there are many, many others available for the ROF aircraft. And of course there are literally thousands of skins available for other games and simulations like Flight Simulator.

Quote:
I predict Video games will surpass card models as the next great source of easy scale RC models.
Well, not sure about that -- yet. Some texture files have bits and pieces of major components "all over the place", so it'll take some time to piece them all together and get them to the same scale.

Most card designers spend a lot of effort to properly unwrap 3D surfaces, especially the many pieces that make up round fuselages. Fortunately there are paper model artists who do repaints of basic models by applying realistic weathering and shading - those are definitely worth their small price.

Gene K
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:22 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Excellent stuff guys....Very cool but lots of work too. Hang inthere Gene looks like you almost have this bird ready

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I have to go to Japan this week, but in a few weeks when I get back, I'm going to try to scale one up for AS3X Beast gear (20" WS or so), and give it a symmetrical airfoil, 3D throws with a weathered Losenge skin.... I'll call it the "3-D8".
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN