HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:16 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
On the 9x you can use the telemetryEZ as a solderless option.
This is still not available for the 9XR. Only S_Mack can tell if will ever be.
A user from this thread already modded his 9XR to have on screen telemetry. He did the mod without the level converter (MAX232 thingy )
I personaly did it on both my 9x radios using the level converter. The level converter is needed because the frsky module talks RS232 and the 9XR processor talks TTL. I also prefer the mod with the level converter as we don't have to be messing about with the RF module's PCB and hence not violating the FCC and CE certificates.
I used this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...interface.html

Here explains how to do the mod on the 9x. It should be similar on the 9XR. Please note that going this route involves fine soldering to 2 of the processor pins. Also the pins needed for the telemetry mod, on the 9XR, are connected to the multiplexer IC on the right side of the processor. I don't know if it can cause any problems. But I think in case it does would be possible to just cut the connections between the pins ans this IC. I'm not sure if this could bring any other problems though..

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/H...mmunity_Guides

The best option for the 9XR IMO, also due to the lack of space inside the radio, would be the TelemetryEZ board as it would allow more features to be added. A rotary encoder, and a little eeprom (in the future) to store more models for example. The board is small and could probably be easily installed inside the radio..
They could have really left a bit more space inside that damn thing

Anyway, this is all I can remember at the moment. I hope it helps
yep that helps....
but just a clarification. the traces on the PCB of the 9x/9xr
where it says to cut both sides, obviously I need to leave the pins in (right?) so that I connect to the djt module. now from those two pins what does it mean clear both sides, to cut any wires and scratch the pcb so that there is no connection to that pin anymore because it will be rerouted via the FrSky Upgrade Lite. what about the other pin? where the guide says to cut on the solder side, cut what? then connect the FrSky Upgrade Lite in the solder side.

is there any pictures with stupid proof arrows that say. cut this, cut that, solder this, do that....
god I feel stupid... electronics was never my forte..
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Dec 2012
49 Posts
I have the FlySky B module on my 9XR and it binds with all my old Turnigy 9X 8 ch, FlySky TH9X 6 and 8ch, and HK turnigy 6 ch V2 receivers.
I had to modify the module to move the pins closer to the case wall to make it fit, but after that there was no problem. Do you have any other rx's to try? Perhaps the rx is bad. Also, I ran into problems trying to bind my Orange module and recievers when I was too close to my home wifi router. Other than that I don't know anything else to suggest.

The receiver I am trying is one I just flew 4 days ago with the old 9, wanted to give it a go with the 9XR to compare the feel and handling. Something else is going on, haven't opened it yet to see if wires are loose, bad joints and so on.
Charliechan is offline Find More Posts by Charliechan
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:44 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
yep that helps....
but just a clarification. the traces on the PCB of the 9x/9xr
where it says to cut both sides, obviously I need to leave the pins in (right?) so that I connect to the djt module. now from those two pins what does it mean clear both sides, to cut any wires and scratch the pcb so that there is no connection to that pin anymore because it will be rerouted via the FrSky Upgrade Lite. what about the other pin? where the guide says to cut on the solder side, cut what? then connect the FrSky Upgrade Lite in the solder side.

is there any pictures with stupid proof arrows that say. cut this, cut that, solder this, do that....
god I feel stupid... electronics was never my forte..
On the 9x, both pins must be completely isolated, so tracks must be cut on both sides of the back board.. under the black coat there are tracks. Please have a look here as there are also good pictures..

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/9..._Mod_Telemetry

I think I've read that the 9XR is different and there aren't many or even no track to be cut? But I'm not sure. I don't own one so I can't look..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:51 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,598 Posts
calibrating the sticks

i followed the instructions in the vid. it tells me throttle not idle, reset throttle. when calibrating i noticed on the screen that the spot corresponding to the throttle does not go beyond the center, even if i move the stick to the lowest position. all the others go to the ends but this.
what is happening, and what i have to do?
please bring only instructions on how to fix this.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:53 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
LOL! Funny guy.
xxxcellarator is online now Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Soft rubberized clear coat...done!!
Change "Ready" light to white...done!!
Install tact switches, including trims......done!!
Telemetry mod......done!!!
DHT module in JR case w/ internal antenna connection, and direct Telemetry connection (no wires)........done!!!
JST battery lead.....done!!!
Open9X.......done!!!

I'm not done!!!

I'm working on the rear stand adapters.
Working on speaker mod. Wasnt going to do it, but I changed my mind.
I need a cover label for the module.
Change backlight LED's to white? When I get the LED's in!!!!

What else is there?

Voice mod....probably not.
Encoder mod.....naaah.

What am I missing?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
885 Posts
Quote:

I'm not done!!!

What else is there?

Encoder mod.....naaah.

What am I missing?
Curious, why do speaker mod, if not doing voice?

Haptic mod?
If you do either of these, please do a detailed 'how to' for us challenged folks.
OldDmbThms is online now Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:02 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
i followed the instructions in the vid. it tells me throttle not idle, reset throttle. when calibrating i noticed on the screen that the spot corresponding to the throttle does not go beyond the center, even if i move the stick to the lowest position. all the others go to the ends but this.
what is happening, and what i have to do?
please bring only instructions on how to fix this.
thanks
Phil, are you putting the throttle stick to it's mid travel point before starting calibration? It sounds like you are starting the calibration with the throttle stick all the way down.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:05 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
So if I buy the 9XR I will need to order the JR Frsky module then. While I don't mind telemetry I'm more interested in just a good 2.4 system.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms View Post
Curious, why do speaker mod, if not doing voice?

Haptic mod?
If you do either of these, please do a detailed 'how to' for us challenged folks.

So I can have different tones other than the standard "beep".

Its the same as the 9X. The guides for it apply, things are just in slightly different spots.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:29 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,500 Posts
what are folk setting their low voltage alarm to go off at? I noticed on marhar' s 9XR setup video he set it to 9.6v for a 3S lipo which seems low. I've got mine set to 11.1.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
So if I buy the 9XR I will need to order the JR Frsky module then. While I don't mind telemetry I'm more interested in just a good 2.4 system.
You can use any JR module you want. It doesn't have to be FrSky. Can be Orange for DSMX/2, can be FlySky...etc. Any Jr type module will work.
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:42 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
what are folk setting their low voltage alarm to go off at? I noticed on marhar' s 9XR setup video he set it to 9.6v for a 3S lipo which seems low. I've got mine set to 11.1.
At 7v for my nice 2s that's not wasting any energy into heat

For 3s though, I absolutely wouldn't go lower than 10v. A better number would be 10.5v. That's 3.5v per cell, which is basically what I have mine at. But even then I charge it at 3.6v, unless I'm out at the field for a really long time and get past that. All of what I'm telling you is because this is safest for the battery. Anything below 3.5v/cell (10.5v) is really going to kill the battery over time.
xxxcellarator is online now Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:06 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Soft rubberized clear coat...done!!
Change "Ready" light to white...done!!
Install tact switches, including trims......done!!
Telemetry mod......done!!!
DHT module in JR case w/ internal antenna connection, and direct Telemetry connection (no wires)........done!!!
JST battery lead.....done!!!
Open9X.......done!!!

I'm not done!!!

I'm working on the rear stand adapters.

What else is there?

Encoder mod.....naaah.

What am I missing?
If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig...

I've fallen out with my 9XR. The aileron Gimbal doesn't have a regular centre. Useless for any precision acrobatics. A HXT900 has far better and more accurate centring that my gimbals!

Si
SimonChambers is online now Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member