Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
Discussion
NEW CMP EP Katana SR 38~42 Remote Control RC Aerobatic Airplane Receiver-Ready

Nitro planes just sent me an e-mail to a link fpr this plane:

CMP EP Katana SR 38~42 Remote Control RC Aerobatic Airplane Receiver-Ready

http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-ep-katana-sr.html

Is this a new plane or is there already one out anyone know anything about it?
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:33 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,434 Posts
This is the first CMP kit that i've seen that is Rx ready. They have had Katanas before for nitro and some kits that went both ways. I expect they made this even lighter so it should fly better on electric. I hope it's a new trend because that can save alot of time. I've had a few CMP kits over the years and have a couple that are EP only like the piper L4 cub.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
Reallly tempted to pull the trigger on this...
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:28 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,952 Posts
I will have a review on this plane up soon. The first part with the overview should be on Nitroplanes Youtube channel by the end of today. All I can say is that I am impressed with the power on the stock power setup. The servos on the other hand is not that great but it should be fine for sports flying. Can't wait to take it out to the field and see how it flies

Tony
-Nitroplanes
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:31 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,557 Posts
Sure wish they would offer free shipping on this one. $35 for shipping alone.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,952 Posts
Dang I just realized that a 4s 3000mah is too small for this plane. Plane will not balance unless I use a 4s 4500mah and up. Hmm the plane will now weight 5.2lbs. Hope it's not too heavy for a 59" plane.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:43 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
In-Flight Video

In-Flight Video:

CMP EP Katana SR (4 min 58 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:45 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
I will have a review on this plane up soon. The first part with the overview should be on Nitroplanes Youtube channel by the end of today. All I can say is that I am impressed with the power on the stock power setup. The servos on the other hand is not that great but it should be fine for sports flying. Can't wait to take it out to the field and see how it flies

Tony
-Nitroplanes
Here!

New CMP EP Katana SR RC Aerobatic Airplane (11 min 45 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:26 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,434 Posts
It looks like it builds so fast. I'm attending a flea market in Pa this weekend. I'm gonna see if I can sell some old stuff to make room for one. The wing loading is Much better than my old Nitro 40 sized Katana I had once. (RIP)
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:49 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
463 Posts
Mine was just delivered yesterday. Nice plane, it was packaged well and the first thing I noticed was that on the pre-installed servos not all the mounting screws were seated all the way. I then noticed that the servo mounting holes had not been hardened. It'll be a good idea for anyone getting this plane to pull the servos out and harden the mounting holes with a couple drops of thin CA.

*EDIT*

Also, there were no grommets or eyelets on the servos.
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Last edited by bicyclemonkey; Mar 27, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,434 Posts
Can you tell what brand of servos they are?
If you can take any pictures up close, that would be good.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:53 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
463 Posts
PingZheng PZ-15138 Servo

Last edited by bicyclemonkey; Apr 01, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:36 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kola View Post
Reallly tempted to pull the trigger on this...
Here's my two cents.

It depends on EXACTLY what you want.

Are you looking for a 3D plane? I'd be really surprised if this plane harriers well...CMP is not really known at all for well-flying aerobatic planes.

(however it MIGHT...until we see some video of it doing anything cool, we'll never know)

If you're looking for a cool looking plane to fly cuban 8's, loops, KE's (prepare to do some mixing), etc etc...and you don't mind ultra cheap electronics...then this is for you. (and I'm not taking anything away from anyone who would want those things...)

Bottom line, if you want a high performing plane tand maybe eventrually learn to 3D on...this plane is NOT for you.

(anyone who is really into 3D flying wouldn't even look at this plane twice...just so you know)

Also, I don't see any spare parts listed for this plane yet.

All that being said, I have like 5 CMPro models...I really like them for what they are...but I'd never ever ever consider getting a 3D/Aerobat CMPro model.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:53 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
463 Posts
I got this plane as simply my first "aerobatic" type plane. I'm mainly into warbirds/scale stuff and wanted to give this a shot. I've been flying a Great Planes Escapade which is more just a sport plane (small control surfaces), so this was a good inexpensive next step.

With the 5s battery and around 1000 watts for this 5lb plane, it should be able to do anything I ask of it.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:37 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Dang I just realized that a 4s 3000mah is too small for this plane. Plane will not balance unless I use a 4s 4500mah and up. Hmm the plane will now weight 5.2lbs. Hope it's not too heavy for a 59" plane.
What measurement did you use for the CG? The manual says 94-100mm, but even with a 4s 5000mah, this seems tail heavy. I tried balancing both inverted and normal...please advise.