HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2014, 07:09 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
Wow no updates here for awhile. Just checking in. I see there were a couple of great Dag updates recently which are always nice to see. I know you will never give up on this project, and if it doesn't fly for another few years after major re engineering/re thinking, I still want to know about it
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2014, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2013
575 Posts
dag214 :

I'd sure like to see the B-36.

I use to check in every once and a while to check your progress. I even checked your blog a few days ago. The Big Beauty seems to have disappeared?

I love P-40's and B-36B's

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GoPro videos of my UMX WarBirds
Old May 17, 2014, 05:13 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Hi all,
The 36 is kinda on hold. And my C130 is moving again, but really have not been posting much here. And I will, just life has been crazy busy.

I have had a few issues with my 36 wing design. And had many MANY e-mails about how I should fix it. But the 36 needs to be a very solid and simple design in the end as I plan on flying it a lot. I don't want it to be a plane I fly and I am always worried about something going wrong. And its not a plane I want to fly once and everyone say "see it flew". So for now I am just getting my C130 done, and been playing with a fuse design on a helicopter mold. I also finished my drawings for a plug for my 200" B52.

But the real reason so much is slow for my planes is really my girl and her hobbies and life, dirt biking, and hanging out with her has become most of what I am doing when I am not working.

Rock ON!
DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old May 17, 2014, 06:18 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post

But the real reason so much is slow for my planes is really my girl and her hobbies and life, dirt biking, and hanging out with her has become most of what I am doing when I am not working.

Rock ON!
DAG
You'll never regret that
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 17, 2014, 06:55 AM
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
I can tell you from raising my daughter by myself, that is the wisest choice, DAG. When I got custody of her, I decided to get off of my dragbike, something I really loved, I miss it, but don't regret it. As you know, they are kids only for a short time. Have fun and enjoy!!
Bob
BobRickey is offline Find More Posts by BobRickey
Old May 18, 2014, 02:14 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Dag, that is a wise choice, family first.

I posted a pic that you might like. Shipping would be cost prohibitive.

BB

Answering a PM: 4 foot tall solid limestone estimated weight is 435 pounds. The period limestone is either Pennsylvanian or Mississippian. It was cut locally.

BB
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Last edited by beerbrewer; May 18, 2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: answered PM
Old May 19, 2014, 12:00 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Hi all,
The 36 is kinda on hold. And my C130 is moving again, but really have not been posting much here. And I will, just life has been crazy busy.

I have had a few issues with my 36 wing design. And had many MANY e-mails about how I should fix it. But the 36 needs to be a very solid and simple design in the end as I plan on flying it a lot. I don't want it to be a plane I fly and I am always worried about something going wrong. And its not a plane I want to fly once and everyone say "see it flew". So for now I am just getting my C130 done, and been playing with a fuse design on a helicopter mold. I also finished my drawings for a plug for my 200" B52.

Rock ON!
DAG
Being a Father. . . . .being a husband . . ..the family comes first my brother.

. . . Then comes the planes. ... then whatever your wife asks you to pick up for her at pay less shoes lol!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old May 20, 2014, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
663 Posts
Dag,
I know you know structures, yet in light of the wings issues, here is some info I wrote today that you may find of some use maybe.

I wrote it for foamies, but the principles remain valid and relevant. You probably know it all already , or at least by experience but anyway maybe it will help somewhat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post28429580
Michael V is online now Find More Posts by Michael V
Old May 23, 2014, 05:04 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
Dag,
I know you know structures, yet in light of the wings issues, here is some info I wrote today that you may find of some use maybe.

I wrote it for foamies, but the principles remain valid and relevant. You probably know it all already , or at least by experience but anyway maybe it will help somewhat.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post28429580
Great stuff. Not sure how this applies to what everyone else is doing. Most of the structures I create keep most the forces in tension or compression (truss design). Even my foam wing designs I look to my skin to carry loads in tension or compression. The foam is actually just holding the top and bottom apart to work at a truss. There is very little bending force in my designs if I can help it. If I am worried about crushing forces from bending I add a shear web type spar at the thickest part of the cord.

The only real bending force I see are on my wing joining tubes, unless I can tie in the top and bottom spars (if I have them).

About 25 years ago I worked for a hobby shop cutting foam wings out for a kit they made. I made for myself about 10-15 different wing designs. When I tested them they all failed in compression by the skin buckling in the compression (pushing together) not tension (pulling apart).

Hope this all makes sense.....

Damon
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214