Judd's new plane;
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:43 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
942 Posts
I believe there's a Soar Utah 2014 thread on RCG now.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2210931

At this point there's just a couple of whinners saying they're not coming. But I'm going. 'hope to see some of you western Colorado slopers there! It's a great event!

... Greg
Greg Hine is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hine
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:39 AM
formerly Juddkleinman
Paonia, CO
Joined Oct 2008
332 Posts
I am going to Soar Utah. I'm very exited. I hope to arrive Thursday afternoon. I registered the other day and I am getting my fleet ready. My father is coming out from Ohio as well.
Thanks for posting the link Greg.
Mountain Soarer is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Soarer
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
942 Posts
Judd:

I'll probably arrive Wed or Thurs afternoon. There's generally a bunch of guys handing out at the North Side in the afternoon(s) before the event, hoping to catch a bit of wind before it picks up enough for the paragliders to come out. Two years ago, we hung around for a couple of hours, the wind picked up and we flew for a few minutes. And within an hour I counted 40 paragliders! They show up fast. (But, by agreement, aren't around for the event.)

... Greg
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:04 AM
formerly Juddkleinman
Paonia, CO
Joined Oct 2008
332 Posts
Greg, Sounds good. I will have TD and DLG ships with me too. Are there good flying sites for these too in the area if its not blowing?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:19 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
942 Posts
Yes. The South Side of POTM has a big open area. Fine for both TD and DLG. On Friday the aerotow site (about an hour west of SLC) is a huge, open salt flat. Perfect for any type of flying. You can't miss the runway... as it's basically the whole salt flat.

A bunch of us camp on the South Side site. There's a pit toilet there, but no water. Although Cabela's is < a mile from the site, and has water. Shopping and everything else in the world is also really close by.

I'm bringing... slope, TD, DLG, electric launch gliders and a quad + probably more.

See you there.

... Greg
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:16 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,431 Posts
3.5m Explorer Video

Judd's new Explorer flying at Garvin Mesa. Yes, it's a slope--only with 2-5mph winds. Watch the gentle grace of this 11ft Explorer as it searches for the lightest lift.

Explorer 7 28 2014 (4 min 9 sec)
Mike Furcolow is online now Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:29 PM
weisenflymanheimer
Crested Butte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,191 Posts
Awesome
snakecrew is offline Find More Posts by snakecrew
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:46 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
Paonia, CO
Joined Oct 2008
332 Posts
Thanks for posting that mike. She is fun ship to fly.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,009 Posts
very nice
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,431 Posts
Another Big Day at Garvin Mesa

Rain this morning, about two-tenths, and rain predicted again this afternoon. Looks bad, right?

Suddenly, about 11AM, the sun comes out and the heat went up. There was lots of instability as the summer heat lifted the morning's moisture, building up for the thunderstorms of the afternoon. By noon, it was really hot-85 degrees. I called up Judd and we met for a session on Garvin Mesa about 10 minutes later.

Wow, it was Great!. The lift was everywhere--not booming, but just UP. I launched the Alpina and Judd put his Orion together, and up we went. I had my hard-to-see Alpina up to vanishing altiture in no time, and it stayed there. Judd circled up there, but to the left of the air that I was using. Lots of room, and we were both in consantly rising air, as long as we wanted to stay up. I did lots of huge loops and sceaming dives, just to keep it where I could see it. I could hear the Orion whistling whenever Judd would need a dive. Like stereo swooshing kamakaze's. It was something to hear. Then the thunderstorms started outflowing from the north, so we both landed at grass-catcher speeds into the " Fescue Pillow" that constitutes our LZ. Never even touched the ground.

What a great afternoon of high-speed thermal aerobatics!
Last edited by Mike Furcolow; Yesterday at 06:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM
Draper Utah(Salt Lake City area)
Joined Jan 2008
62 Posts
Soar Utah

We are happy to see interest in Soar Utah is building. We unfortantly got off to a late start this year, sorry for that. We will do our best to be good host. Francis Peak is a bit questionable due to winter damage to the small road leading to the Peak. We will try to investigate to see if this is repaired yet. Antelope Island is another option for Monday. Please do not forget the aerotow on Friday. This year we would like to open this up not just to Aerotow. But Discus launch, electrics, ALES, Thermal duration, etc. This is a very large area with plenty of room for all of this at the same time. Friday, we will suggest areas on the flats where you can fly other than aerotow if you wish. We will be having a good breakfast at the aerotow Friday Morning, some of us will be camping our as well at the flats on Thursday night. Please let us know if you are planing on breakfast friday at the flats so we can prepare accordingly. The Soar Utah 2014 site has finally been updated with the correct 2014 registration form. If you have registered using the old 2012 form that is sufficent. Also on the site under accomodations are links to several Hotels who have agreed to provide discounted rates to Soar Utah attendee's. Looking forward to seeing you at Soar Utah.
LEE CHAPLIN is offline Find More Posts by LEE CHAPLIN
Old Today, 08:46 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,009 Posts
Can I register on site? This will be a last minute decision if I can go or not.
Old Today, 09:09 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
942 Posts
Rich:

I believe you can register on the site. I'm surprised you haven't been to Soar Utah before. It's a awesome flying site (several slopes actually), easy camping right at the main slope (closer than at Big Mesa) and a fun weekend. I just go out and fun fly the whole weekend. Tho' this year it appears they'll have some ODR racing, so I'll bring my two ODR ships. Come on out. Plan to camp. Bring your big ships. You'll have a ball!

... Greg
Old Today, 09:34 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,431 Posts
Alpina again

I flew the Alpina twice today, for the third or fourth day in a row--no hangar queen, this one. It's nice to have a great slope like Garvin Mesa almost next to my house.

I'm learning to fly that airfoil better and better each day. It's not the usual flat-bottom thermal wing which finds lift at high angles of attack and low airspeed, like most pure thermal airfoils. If you fly the Alpina that way, it will reward you by falling off one wing or the other in a rather abrupt stall. It must be flown a little faster through the sky.

How to deal with it? I put in just a little camber (2mm) for "thermal mode", and it slows down perceptibly and grabs lift. Stall speeds are much lower, allowing gentle circling and stable control. Once up high in the air, I revert to "cruise" settings (no camber or reflex), and it accelerates right away. Once the speed is up and the angle of attack is lowered, it rips around and finds lots of lift, even if there isn't much in the air. Do pumps and loops, whatever, and it just stays up on nothing but the lift generated by the wing. As long as you can keep it moving, it will maintain altitude and fly all the aerobatics, just like on the slope. That's how alpine sloping really works. It's not slow, but gets better and better as the speed and momentum builds up. The thinner, less dense air at altitude lets the perceptible airspeeds seem greater, and seems to have plenty of lift without much air movement.

It's kind of a cool thing to see and feel as it starts to happen. You can hear it in the swoosh and whistle as it screams by.......