Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:07 AM
MELBOURNE,FL
Joined Jul 2004
167 Posts
Alert
RECIEVER ANTENNA PROBLEM>>>>HELP ME<<<<

MY ANTENNA ON MY RECIEVER BROKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WIRE.....I KNOW YOU CANT SOLDER IT BUT CANT I JUST TWiST THE WIRES TOGETHER AND PUT HEAT SHRINK ON IT until i have my replacment antenna?? i know its not recommended but will it work?
Zachary is offline Find More Posts by Zachary
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:15 AM
RB
Buford GA
Joined Jul 2001
480 Posts
Airplanes do not reward stupidity. You should learn now to do things right or you may find this hobby less than rewarding. There is an old saying --

"Some people never have enough time to do it right but they always have enough time to do it over ".

RB
RB is offline Find More Posts by RB
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:53 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Geez RB - lighten up. This is a support forum, not a place to rag on people. I guess you never made a mistake - must be nice.

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:40 AM
MELBOURNE,FL
Joined Jul 2004
167 Posts
(Post removed for a personal attack-mw)
Zachary is offline Find More Posts by Zachary
Last edited by Mark Wood; Aug 15, 2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:45 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Zachary - I didn't answer because I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area. But here's what makes sense to me. Try twisting it together trying to keep the length as similar as possible, then do a range test, if it works shrink wrap it and see how it all does. I personally can't think of why soldering it would be a problem as the impedance of the antenna isn't really the issue as much as the length to match the Tx/Rx frequency.

Again, definitely not my strong suit.

Good luck and let us know so we can use the info too.

Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:48 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
I am not sure why you can't wrap the wires and shrinkwrap it. Do it and try a range test and see what happens. Question though, why can it not be soldered? If done correctly you will not get any heat into the reciever and it would offer a better less resistant connection. But then I am new to the world of RC flight so it could be a problem but having been a mechanic for many number of years and fixed alot of fine wiring I still do not see the problem.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:04 PM
RB
Buford GA
Joined Jul 2001
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary
.....I KNOW YOU CANT SOLDER IT .........
I didn't see this part. You can and should solder it. I read it as " I know you CAN solder it " . Unalpologetic about my first post. If you twist the wires and crash your plane and endanger bystanders then you are stupid. If you solder the wires and cover the joint with heat shrink then you are not stupid. Your choice, as in most decisions whether to be stupid or not.

As far as the " I KNOW " you should always question yourself, " Do I REALLY know ????? "

Twisted wire joints are for houses.

RB
RB is offline Find More Posts by RB
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:57 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,207 Posts
Ok, you guys.
This is a message to the participants:

1: If you haven't read the RCGroups Forum Rules do it now lest further infraction annoy this moderator.

2: Avoid all the "OMG, HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M HAVING TOOOOOOO MANY TROUBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" types of thread titles and the use of all capital letters in your posts.
It's considered shouting, isannoying to many established members and many times gets your thread ignored.

3: We all strive to be courteous especially here in Beginner Training and the use of the word "stupid" or similar is to be restrained. We are here to help new pilots become experienced pilots.

4: Users that are unapologetic about breaking these rules should be.

Further problemns here will get threads closed and a warning issued from the moderators.
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood