HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2014, 10:15 AM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
402 Posts
Discussion
Fenix 120 Builders and Flyers Thread

First of all, I did do a search for the Fenix 120 and the only hits I got were for an old thread dating back at least to 2011. Thought I might start a new thread but if I am duplicating someone else's efforts (or stepping on toes) I will be happy to move over to another thread...

Picked up this plane at NEF 2014 on a whim, saw a couple flying (indoors) and thought it was "interesting".

Sat around for awhile but finally made it to the build table, needed a plane that could handle moderate winds, take off and land on regular grass field, and able to fly a variety of props and batts.

Fenix 120 meets all of these requirements and more, will have some pics up later but a very solid plane... Super stable... My build was on the heavy side (on purpose) I have the recommended CF 2822 motor, but am under propping (8 X 4) and way over ESC (40 Amp, had a bunch of these laying around, works well for CG balancing, and don't have to worry about over driving ESC...)

Looking for other fans of the Fenix to start sharing notes and pics...

Mark R.
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined Sep 2013
55 Posts
Hey Mark I'm building one now, added a tail wheel assembly (non-steerable) from a crashed plane. I like it better than the skid piece lazertoyz used in their build video. Also added a carbon fiber rod on the underside of the rear fuse, it just seemed like it had a lot of flex in the tail area. I will also be using the recommended CF 2822, is your 8x4 a good match? I'm just looking for a cruiser, nothing crazy. Did you angle the motor down at all? the nose on this plane has a strange shape and I want to square it off, wondering if I should cut some down angle into it while i'm there. Also do you have a good CG?
- Adam
lavagt is offline Find More Posts by lavagt
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:09 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
523 Posts
Hi, Mark and Adam,

Just completed a Fenix 120 build. I tend to go light as possible. Using a Suppo 2204/14, GWS 7x6 for now, 2 cell 1300. AUW without landing gear is only 12.5 z, yielding a loading of only 4.8. Haven't really wrung it out yet as we are experiencing 10+ winds today.

Curious what weights you guys are seeing.

BTW, plane came badly damaged. Whoever put the fuse in the plastic bag snagged the control rod on one side. Pulled it out of the fuse and bent like a pretzel. Have sent two emails and two phone calls to LazerToyz with zero response. Have spent hours trying to straighten things out and make it presentable. At this point ,not a happy camper! Sure hope it flies well, like its Fenix 80 little brother.

John
jhark37 is online now Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:28 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
523 Posts
Meant to ask, too, what CG you've found that works well.

Thanks, John
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:33 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Joined Jul 2013
402 Posts
Sorry for the delay

Don't know how I missed the activity on this thread... My apologies

Will try and answer questions, or at least give my opinion

+1 on adding tail wheel, I think helps with CG, I did exactly same thing, mine is a caster style i.e. non-steerable will post pics later this evening

Adding CF Rod can't hurt, this plane can carry a huge load and still stay floaty, but keeping it light means better glider performance, take your pick, or stick everything on with Velcro and set up for whatever you want.... Gotta love that...

Have several CF rods stuck crosswise thru fuse that allows me to rubber band on diff batts and camera (pics later)

CF2822 really good (and cheap) motor for this air frame, but fully understand jhark going with lighter motor, once again this plane has incredible ability to accept wide range of power options... CF2822 with 3S I go with 8X4 most times, have even gone to 9X6 in 3S, careful here, yeah you can loop, but with this setup it would be possible to fly the wings right off this plane in a high G maneuver.

More recently have been flying 2S with a 10 X 4.7, this is my fav for most flying, she can't buck a strong wind with this setup, and loops are much harder from level flight (but no prob with the ol' dive and slap the elev method ) Here's the real kicker, have flown everything from 500 mah to 2200 mah 2S batt on this thing, just move the batt until I hit the CG and off you go....

Speaking of CG, for me... (CG can be real personal) right on the wing spar, don't even put it on balancer, just index fingers on wing spars and maybe just a nudge of nose heavy....

Flight time other day with moderate cross wind, multiple touch and goes, and some high flying and min even no throttle flying, 22 mins on 2200 mah, charger says I put 1400 mah back in so roughly 30% capacity remaining...

I did tack on about 15 mm of additional rudder which helped with ground handling and slow speed bank/turn authority especially if you give it a short burst of throttle to "kick the tail around"

This is my precision touch and go trainer, I know sounds kinda silly to use the word precision in connection with this plane, but in low winds or even moderate winds if down the runway (even grass) this plane will teach you how to fly approaches and touch and go's... without having to worry about "the cost of failure"

Pretty sure I have zero thrust angle adjustment, but will double check that tonite....

Feel absolutely confident that I can fly this bird indoors without any prob whatsoever (but not in a basketball court, not me anyway)

Potential mods...

Wondering what ailerons out on the dihedral tips would do???

Add a servo for tail wheel steering

This thing is a natural for a whole lot of LED's which I will have in place before Watts Over Owatonna

Dude sorry to hear about the bad packaging... and even sorrier to hear about poor customer service, did my dealings in person at NEF and people were nice enough, have even ordered a few things online with them with no issues....

Hope they find this post....

Havn't weighed the bird in awhile so will get back to you guys tonite with info..

All in all, not my all time favorite plane, but then I have quite a few, but glad I got it, would definitely purchase again, and would definitely recommend to others if they were interested in this kind of plane...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:43 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Joined Jul 2013
402 Posts
Time Slips By

Hope nobody was holding their breath...

Anyway made myself a note to remind myself to remember not to forget... what the heck was I talking about.... Oh Yeah....

Anyway (again) Here are the pics and some info:

AUW with 1000 mah 2S batt (includes recent steerable tail wheel assm.) is 485 grams not great but not bad....

Without batt 422 grams

To answer a earlier question, no thrust adjustment on this setup, or at least I didn't try and add any, might have just the slightest down thrust though...

Added extension to rudder, it's a keeper...
Added separate servo for tail wheel, it's a keeper...

And yes that big pile of LED's does mean something...

One last thing, had this thing out last night, zippy do-dah as far as wind went.. Did some really stupid stuff (but no crashes, this time...) Had this thing prop hanging for a few seconds at a time, and even got it inverted (more by accident I assure you but what the heck I "went" with it... for a few seconds anyway..) Ground handling in moderate grass height was very good, ground handling on pavement was excellent, still wouldn't have a chance in a moderate cross wind but way better than before....

As always YMMV

Mark R.

old_coastie
Last edited by old_coastie; Jul 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:22 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
523 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Mark. One question, how did you insert the main landing gear? If heated, as suggested in their video, what heat source did you use?

Thanks, John
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:42 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Joined Jul 2013
402 Posts
Main Landing Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post
Thanks for the pics, Mark. One question, how did you insert the main landing gear? If heated, as suggested in their video, what heat source did you use?

Thanks, John
Heated up the landing gear, I happened to have a mini-butane torch, don't think a regular bic would do the trick, but some of those butane lighters they sell in convenience stores and gas stations would probably do the trick.

One suggestion, if you have any other EPP type foam laying around, practice on it first to get the right temp, too hot and to easy to push thru the foam and hard to make it line up right, too cool and just hard to get thru the foam, i think i did mine in like two or three steps, re-heating in between. I have a pretty aggressive forward angle on mine, makes grass handling easier....

Then like the guy said, go nuts with the hot glue, mine havn't budged yet.

If I was building this again (which I hope to do, complete opposite of this build i.e. as light as possible), anyway, if you have the materials i would use the stock landing gear as a template and add at least an inch of length, maybe more, would help a lot with prop clearance...

Just a thought...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Last edited by old_coastie; Jul 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Couple of other thoughts...