HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Discussion
Building a Schiada SS 20 by Fred Reese

Are there any of you on this site that is familiar with this boat? I purchased plans from a Canadian web site and am building the boat from the plans with a few structural alterations. This is an outboard drag and ski boat from the 70's, evolving from the drag boats from the 60's with a deep vee hull design. Most of these boats evolved into high speed drag boats with super modified auto engines, the big block engines from the performance days of automobiles. Many of these engines were blown and supercharged and they went 1/4 mile in unbelievable times. I have watched many videos of these boats, never have seen actual races as most of the are in CA, although Lucas Oil has sponsored some in the midwest. This boat is designed to be an outboard, specifically for the K & B 3.5 outboard engines, that's nitro power, but the brushless electric outboards should be able to be used, possibly with some mods to the boat. I have photos of the plans, there is a very detailed description of the construction process, unlike the Dumas F31 I am building. It has been an easier build than the F31, but I used plywood for the front portion of the keel rather than balsa per the instructions, and I double planked the bottom with balsa as I expect the boat to move pretty good with the K & B engines. I have 2 never used .35 K & B's I found on the internet, one is water cooled, the other air cooled. I will post photos of those engines in another post. Hope to hear from someone who is familiar with this model, has actually built and run one, or more. Hoping to get it in the water with power this year IF the lakes get wet again, ice is still very thick in Minnesota. All those lakes and none can be used yet. Thank you.

Norm
62architect is offline Find More Posts by 62architect
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:30 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
I've never seen or heard of this boat before, but I look foreward to watching the progress.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:08 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Not surprised

that it is unfamiliar to you and probably many others. I was surprised to find plans available for it as I believe it is more well known in Southern CA where they were, and I think, still are manufactured. Another similar boat was the Rayson Craft which may have been first to be on the market and more popular. I have never seen a Rayson Craft boat kit or plans offered. I did look up Schiada and they still seem to be in business making luxurious, fast boats that are very expensive I believe but they sure look good. Of course they have more styles, offer all the new technology and I believe are all inboard powered but they still may have an outboard model(s) available. I have attached photos of the engines that will work on this boat, all K & B .35, but newer versions of the same engine. The model 8383 is one of the first attempts, the model 8906 was a later engine with different carb and longer skeg for better handling at higher speeds, the gold headed one is a later version of the 8906 with more developments as time went on. All 3 engines were manufactured in the 70's, I am not sure if they are still being made as K & B is part of MECOA now. I will keep posting as I make progress with it. I am putting the finishing touches on a 1949 Chris Craft Racing Runabout that I hope to have in the water a lot this season, if the ice finally leaves our lakes. I am also into the Dumas model of the Trojan F31 which is a difficult build. I have a thread of that build going as well as this one so I am busy with model boats getting ready for the forthcoming season. Thanks for your interest.

Norm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 AM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Progress photos

Posting some photos of recent progress on this model. We caught a break with the weather so I was able to do some serious sanding, staining and varnishing of the mahogany deck and sides. Weather has turned back to winter, hoping to decide on paint color for the hull and bow area below the deck. Looks like there will be some time as we are expecting snow again tomorrow. Hope you enjoy the photos, comments are welcome. Thank you.

Norm
Old May 15, 2014, 10:18 AM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Getting hull ready for paint

After some serious sanding of the glazing putty I will attempt to get paint to adhere to the bottom and sides. Always an iffy part of the build, hope it works, wish me luck. Haven't decided on a color yet, that's why I like mahogany, stain and varnish or epoxy, much easier than paint.

Norm
Old May 15, 2014, 10:44 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,739 Posts
Kind of reminds me of Jerry Dunlap's "Ski Cruiser" from some years back---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old May 15, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Thanks for your reply

I'm not familiar with that boat. I googled Jerry Dunlap ski cruiser and nothing came up. I did find a crackerjack boat that was designed by Jerry Dunlap, must be the same person. Do you have a link to the ski cruiser, I would like to check it out. The crackerjack boats I found were all nitro inboards and looked larger than the Schiada. They look like they could be a lot fun and they move well, don't know what size motors they use in them. They also look like a flat bottom boat which is the forerunner to the deep V hulls of the drag and ski boats of the 60's and 70's. Rayson Craft was another boat builder building the deep V hulls but I have never seen any plans for models of them. Thanks for your interest.

Norm
Old May 25, 2014, 11:35 AM
Joined May 2014
11 Posts
WOW!! First off let me say sorry for such a long post but i am very excited about this build!!! I have personally never built a model boat from plans before, i bought these same ones on ebay a while back and didn't understand where to start. I am a long time fan of the schiada river cruiser which this boat is modeled after, and let me say so far this model that you are building looks absolutely amazing!! any pointers for a newbie? please keep the pictures coming
havacru is offline Find More Posts by havacru
Old May 25, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined May 2014
11 Posts
just a few more
havacru is offline Find More Posts by havacru
Old May 25, 2014, 07:13 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,156 Posts
Norm - you could contact the guys that own Rayson Craft if you're looking for info on their boats...they repaired a boat for me a few years back and are nice guys..

And you probably know that Schiada is located in Long Beach...
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old May 26, 2014, 09:27 AM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Thank you for your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by havacru View Post
WOW!! First off let me say sorry for such a long post but i am very excited about this build!!! I have personally never built a model boat from plans before, i bought these same ones on ebay a while back and didn't understand where to start. I am a long time fan of the schiada river cruiser which this boat is modeled after, and let me say so far this model that you are building looks absolutely amazing!! any pointers for a newbie? please keep the pictures coming
I have been interested in these boats since they came into existence in the 60's, the first flat bottomed boats may have started in the late 50's. When you purchased the plans did you get the description of the build? There is a fairly good description of the build available, I'm not sure what you received. I had them email all the information as I didn't need the disc. One thing that is helpful is to get the plans printed at full scale and that is a large piece of paper, approximately 36" x 50". In the instructions there are directions about printing small sections and taping individual drawings together to make the large drawing. You probably don't have a large format printer, but there should be print shops available to print a large drawing. I don't mean Kinko's but a place that does large format printing for architects, engineers, graphic designers and disciplines of a similar nature. If you can't find such a shop, send me a private message with your information, I can print the drawing on my large format plotter, and send it to you. Life will be much easier with a full size drawing which you can reproduce smaller sections of to make the bulkheads and all the other parts necessary to build the model, especially the keel and stem which is the "backbone" of the model. I really appreciate the photos you sent, my biggest dilemma to date is what color(s) should I use and seeing the photos you sent has helped that process. The photo of the model Fred Reese built that is on eBay and in the instructions is what sold me on this model as I have the exact outboard engine displayed on the model and shown in the plans. I will post more photos of the build as I continue the build. When I started building the model I knew nothing about this site and didn't take as many photos as I could have. The pictures where I have the plan cut out and pinned to the board, covered the plan with wax paper and built on top of the wax paper may help you get started. I did not use balsa for the stem per the directions , rather, I used 2 layers of 1/4" plywood glued together, I think that is visible in the photos. I did use balsa for the stem as I braced that up some. I hope to run mine and I wanted something a little sturdier than balsa up front as these boats will travel pretty fast and the bow can take quite a beating. I will help you as much as I can, I hope you will build the model as I think it's a really awesome boat which most people here in Minnesota are totally unfamiliar with. I have taken it to a popular model boat pond for water testing and I get a lot of "What kind of boat is that, I've never seen one like it before". That's what I prefer, doing something classy and different. Please keep in touch, thank you for your nice comments, and let's build another Schiada river boat!

Norm
Old May 26, 2014, 09:43 AM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Thank you for your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
Norm - you could contact the guys that own Rayson Craft if you're looking for info on their boats...they repaired a boat for me a few years back and are nice guys..

And you probably know that Schiada is located in Long Beach...
I will contact the people at Rayson Craft and see what, if any, interest they may have to develop plans for a model boat.

Yes, I know Schiada is in Long Beach, have been on their site many times looking for ideas, colors, anything to make the boat better. I was surprised to find out they are in business yet making high quality watercraft, as is Rayson Craft whose site I have also been on numerous times. Did you own a Rayson Craft that needed repairs. If you did what kind auto engine did you build to power it?

I have never lived in Cali, my daughter and family live in Santa Rosa currently. I grew up in upstate NY, have always been interested in boats, bought all the boating magazines I could find, read all about the drag & ski boats in Southern Cali in the 60's and got hooked. Have to do models now, 1:1's are a little beyond the scope of my health and age. I did spend 3 months at the Long Beach Naval shipyard aboard the USS Wilkinson, DL 3, figuring out all the revisions made on the R & D SQS-26 sonar gear so we could revise drawings to include field modifications never documented previously. We worked 10 - 12 hour days, including Saturdays, so I didn't get to see much other than the ship and the hotel. Thanks for posting your message, always nice hearing from boat people.

Norm
Old May 26, 2014, 01:36 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,156 Posts
Hi Norm,

I didn't own a Rayson Craft, I was in charge of a boat jump sequence for a TV show and we knew that we were going to need some repairs after the test jump so I contracted with Johnny at Rayson Craft for the engine and fiberglass repair.

The boat we used for the jump was from a company in San Diego called Ultra Custom...

Old May 26, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
That's spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
Hi Norm,

I didn't own a Rayson Craft, I was in charge of a boat jump sequence for a TV show and we knew that we were going to need some repairs after the test jump so I contracted with Johnny at Rayson Craft for the engine and fiberglass repair.

The boat we used for the jump was from a company in San Diego called Ultra Custom...

Who had the courage to do that stunt? That's amazing and I am sure it was researched to the hilt to make sure no one got hurt. Sounds like a great project to be involved in. Thanks for sending that.

Norm
Old May 26, 2014, 10:54 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,156 Posts
We had a fellow named Peter Nelson do the jump...here's a quick vid of the stunt;

World Record Jet Boat Jump with Peter Nelson (2000) - MTV stunt, Action Horizons (0 min 58 sec)