HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:47 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Mini-Review
Suppo 2212

This 2212/13 is advertised as pulling 13.4A with a 10X6HD which is 1.4A above the 12A spec. That being said, at an advertised 47g it sounded like a good replacement for my 57g AXi2212/26 that is pulling 12A on 3S spinning 10X3.8 SF. Two reasons for wanting a different motor than the AXi, 1) I wanted a lower weight motor to move the CG back. 2) the frame is a 3D trainer and I didn't want to wipe out my AXi on a throw away frame. Well I managed to wack the AXi directly into the ground before I had a chance to swap out the motors. I took it apart and luckily no magnets were broken or bent shaft but the front bearing is history. So a trip to Boca Bearing is in order.
The Suppo has a fine finish on the out side especially for the money. So I set it on the scale and low and behold my 47g motor weighs 57g, exact weight of the AXi. Hmmm. So I soldered up a new 12A RCPB ESC (nice ESC) to it, mounted a 10X3.8SF ( I figured it should be in spec with a 10X3.8 vs the 10X6 shown in the spec sheet) on it, on hooked up my watt meter... I never hit WOT before seeing 15A on the meter. Hmmmm. So I mounted a 9X3.8 SF and it spun it at a little over 12A. I took the motor apart to give the guts a look. The winding is pretty neat and looks like a good fill , again especially for the price. A look at the magnets and they didn't look to beefy. They have that super cheap finish and they "look" thin. I suspect a set of N50 from Dan would wake this thing up, if he has 12mm's that fit. At first I was disappointed, but for the price it's still good. Just use a watt meter when you prop it.
It will work fine with a 9" prop on the ZoomZoom as the Axi with the 10" prop was more than I can use/need/handle for power at this point.
When I get the Axi back together I'll do some bench test on both as they are a pretty close comparison.
All in all I think the Suppo is an OK deal but they need to correct the figures, I wish this motor weighed 47g and could spin a 10X3.8.
One more note that in the spec sheet also shows that the 10X6 is recommended on 2S
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Last edited by zeroback; May 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
I generally take listed prop data with a couple grains of salt just because the actual loaded test voltage is almost never provided. We only get a lipo cell count, a prop, and a figure for current. Suppo motors have been around awhile; if the test was done with an actual lipo (versus a stable power supply) from a few years back, the numbers might be quite a bit lower than what we see with newer packs.

The 2212/13 is quoted as having a Kv of 1000 RPM/V, which is 80Kv higher than your AXi. Allowing for a few percent variation in each, the Kv difference alone could easily explain the difference in numbers (though I suspect the AXi has a bit of an contributing edge in performance and efficiency as well). The 2212/15, listed at 930Kv, might be a more direct replacement.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
This site didn't carry a 930 otherwise that would have been the choice. Now that I know I will look around for one for sale. The test data provided at the POS may not be Suppo data. I also don't expect a $75.00 motor for $15.00. Just observation... I agree about most data although I have run across a few that are spot on from economy based web sites. I intend to run some better tests when I get the Axi bearinged up again and look for the 930 in the mean time. I'll bet it will spin a a 10" prop. I thought it was to good to be true a $15.00 motor weighing 47g spinning a 10" prop on 3S
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
Here it is

Here are some solid numbers for it.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Sweet, thanks but I don't think this one will way 47g (according to the site) either. Oh so sorry that's a 2215 it definitely won't weigh 47g I'm guessing maybe 67g.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:30 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
This site didn't carry a 930 otherwise that would have been the choice. Now that I know I will look around for one for sale.

I have the very motor which generated the test data in Post #4 above. Yours for $15 to Paypal if you want it.

Cheers, Phil

P.S. it is typo on that table.. it is a 2212/15 motor weighing 51g.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Feb 01, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
ZB, it's the same exact motor as the other one (2212/13) but with a 15-turn wind for the slightly lower Kv. Its weight will be identical.

For a 47g motor swinging a 10" prop, you'll either need to give up a significant amount of power (worth the weight savings?) or else run a high-Kv inrunner of excellent quality in a light gearbox (higher possible power/weight ratio). Personally I'd eat the couple grams and go with the 2212/15 from Altitude
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I'll take it. I'll send a PM
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
ZB, it's the same exact motor as the other one (2212/13) but with a 15-turn wind for the slightly lower Kv. Its weight will be identical.

For a 47g motor swinging a 10" prop, you'll either need to give up a significant amount of power (worth the weight savings?) or else run a high-Kv inrunner of excellent quality in a light gearbox (higher possible power/weight ratio). Personally I'd eat the couple grams and go with the 2212/15 from Altitude
All is good the 47g is not critical ,it's just wishful thinking. I can cut the battery compartment back some more. I prefer to avoid the gearbox and the noise, I like the idea of one moving part. Thank you for all your input it's been helpful.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Had a chance to fly this motor in the ZoomZoom this is a nice running motor has a good sound to it, similar to the AXi, plenty of power with the 9" prop, but that missing inch of prop is noticeable in the throttle position when hovering (or in my wavering) and low speed maneuvers. Flight time remained the same. But all in all a good value.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
It's Suppo time again, been while since I had a chance to get back to these motors. Apparently there was something wrong with my scale (or me) as I had concluded this motor weighed 57g. This will set that straight. What brought this up is I have a request for two 50ish gram motors wound the same. It's for the worlds most unique flying object (so deemed by me). Any way in the mean time I rewound the 15T motor to dial it in for my application, winding it 9T dLRK Star. But the motor as stock worked fine and I find these motors to be a good value. I didn't document the tear down of the 15T motor but if I remember it is just like this one. This is an interesting motor as described as a 2212, but look at the dimensions of the stator, it's fat. I see now what led to my thin magnet comment. Interesting approach.
Last edited by zeroback; May 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
9T dLRK Star

23AWG tech Fixx
I was in a hurry to get it in the air, I skipped extensive bench tests and installed it on the plane with a brief watt meter test and a 10X4.7 APC SF. Just the windy part of the year and the usual luck that when it does calm down I have to do something else besides fly. But it's ready
Last edited by zeroback; May 15, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:07 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,075 Posts
Zeroback.

If 13 turn delta is true 1000Kv, then 9turn star is 834 Kv.
Very fine for APC sf 10x4.7 and 3slipo.

Check my data for rewind Hacker A20 to 839 Kv.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067152
Manuel v.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v