HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:12 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
I order one PNP on Saturday from Gravesrc. Just got an email saying that it was sold in there store and they refunded me. The way I look at is, This is a nice plane that people want to buy, why are they discontinued when they have other planes that suck out for years?
DMHIGHFLYER is online now Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hobbyzone sport cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:47 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,463 Posts
Most planes have a spectrum of saleability. The Hurricane is one. At MSRP it sold for crap, because many people thought it was significantly overpriced for what was actually delivered. At $109 apiece for the PNP it's sold like wildfire. Somewhere in the balance between those two extremes should be a point where they sell enough of them to justify keeping them on the market and actually make money.

Horizon's default pricing structure is a little higher than typical vendors, in part to pay for their outstanding customer service and tech support (that costs money, perhaps as much as 5-8% of each plane sold goes to pay for those guys on the phone and in the shop) and in part because they've earned the reputation that their stufff is quality, and people will pay for quality.

But I think they've been lapped by the field in this size range in foam warbirds, that price point won't be effective when competing against the increasing quality of other manufacturers like FMS in the same size range, with decent support and a stronger feature list.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
Well screw it! I bought one on ebay. It was $20 more, still worth it
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:54 PM
Altitude is everything
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
What was your total cost with shipping?
BedEvil is offline Find More Posts by BedEvil
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:54 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
But I think they've been lapped by the field in this size range in foam warbirds, that price point won't be effective when competing against the increasing quality of other manufacturers like FMS in the same size range, with decent support and a stronger feature list.
I have been saying this for 2 years and getting spit on for it. Glad to see at least 1 person in my corner!!
fnlrun is online now Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
Gravesrc was $150.05 shipped, (that was refunded) ebay is $169.99 shipped. It was worth $20 to me as this will be for spare parts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:13 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I see the store has more in stock again!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:39 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,096 Posts
FWIW - the 48" Windrider Hurricane IIC (with 20 mm cannon) is still available for $110 shipped. It is a build type ARF - you gotta glue it and paint it. It comes with e-tracts supplied.

http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?page=2&id=164

I have one in the air and one under the bench. Heck of a great flying plane.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 PM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,297 Posts
Got one at my LHS for 117$ and change out of the door.
I went there to buy a couple of wheels, but It was the last one in stock and they price matched horizon price.....I couldnt say no...even if I didn't want a Hurricane!
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:41 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
my lhs has about 10 in stock for $125
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:08 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,375 Posts
I love hurricane but buying more than 2 would be excessive. It's great yet I know I will want something larger in 3 months
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel