Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:42 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipkool View Post
Not enough gaz, just bad pilot
Again, sorry to hear. Hope there's not much damage. It happens to me too once in a while.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:48 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
RG-316 eh? Okay, thanks. I'll have to look into that too then. I agree having connectors pre-installed would be the easier solution. I was looking for a price savings with customability. I plan on CP antennas for my multi-copters and a CP on my fixed wing VTx with a helical CP on the VRx for long range flights. I'm hoping/waiting for an antenna tracker system for my OSD to help eliminate the need of a diversity controller for the helical VRx antenna. In that case, I'd probably need a longer run of feed line for the helical antenna and my GS. Thanks for the insight.
RG316 is stiff and extremely heat resistant. That's why I use it. And seriously, you don't need a tracker with a helical. If you're the DIY type, you can make my antenna tracker in my blog if you really want to. However I would sooner invest in a diversity system. It's a little more reliable and requires less set up time.

I need to publish my "quick jig" for building these antennas. Nothing more than a drilled dowel rod and a rubber band. Makes building a snap. Easy

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
RG316 is stiff and extremely heat resistant. That's why I use it. And seriously, you don't need a tracker with a helical. If you're the DIY type, you can make my antenna tracker in my blog if you really want to. However I would sooner invest in a diversity system. It's a little more reliable and requires less set up time.

I need to publish my "quick jig" for building these antennas. Nothing more than a drilled dowel rod and a rubber band. Makes building a snap. Easy

-Alex
Thanks Alex. Looks like I'll be ordering some RG-316 then. In the meantime...let's see the quick jig so I don't have to figure out how to do this bending, aligning, etc. all by myself!!!
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:57 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,663 Posts
I second the no tracker recommendation. Diversity can literally cover most of the sky for just about the same money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,663 Posts
is there supposed to be a null over a cloverleaf...the only time my video really drops out is right over head? (GS has 1 cloverleaf and 2 outward pointed helicals)
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:53 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,302 Posts
^ Yes. The cloverleaf has the same radiation pattern as a dipole.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:17 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,661 Posts
You can pick up a diversity unit for $15 on BEVRC now for thoes that don't fancy buildin their own one.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:56 AM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Looking to try 5.8 Antenna's

Hey Guys,

First off I would like to offer my thanks and appreciation to IBCrazy and the rest of his supporters. This stuff is amazing and I can't believe you make it so I almost understand but more importantly can enjoy it.

I am going to build your 5.8g CL/SPW for my 200mw system from Hobby King. The whips work just fine but its the next step in learning right?

I bought 2 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nna_Cable.html hoping that I could use them on the Tx and Rx because of the connectors. Yes, unfortunately they are not SMA-RP. The cable is RG316 and the other connector side is a threaded union with female hole. Can I use any of this other than the cable?

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,661 Posts
If your gonna buy from china you may as well hop on eBay and get what you want. Straight connectors are better than angled ones for 5.8ghz and if you get a straight extension you get two Pre made ends on a cable. Easy peasy, and it's cheaper than HK.

CJ
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:44 AM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
If your gonna buy from china you may as well hop on eBay and get what you want. Straight connectors are better than angled ones for 5.8ghz and if you get a straight extension you get two Pre made ends on a cable. Easy peasy, and it's cheaper than HK.

CJ
So what I have already bought is no good other than the RG316 cable? Can't jerry rig connectors to work? Or is the RP(reverse polartity) an issue here? Can I pull the pin?

E.

E.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:50 AM
Joined Jun 2007
3,661 Posts
The pin is a solid peice. If you pull it you'll pull the middle of the active cable through the middle of the plug. You can buy adapters that will reverse the polarity and the angle connector effect the gain etc...

CJ
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:29 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
The pin is a solid peice. If you pull it you'll pull the middle of the active cable through the middle of the plug. You can buy adapters that will reverse the polarity and the angle connector effect the gain etc...

CJ
Basically... You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you just buy a new length of cable Sorry you made a bad purchase on that one, but it does happen sometimes. I do it all too often
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:47 AM
Pilot
Deutschland, RP, Winningen
Joined Oct 2010
32 Posts
A tracker makes good sense if you plan to fly across a wide angular scope. The helical has about 40 deg opening, which makes a wide field at distance, so a tracker becomes more and more inactive (and useless) with distance.
I have a diversity with a simple SPW and a helical pointed into general direction. If the plane comes closer and gets out of the helical field, the SPW has already good signal. For the simple setup i made the SPW stand on a 50cm pole over he helical, on the same tripod about 3m above gnd. Each antenna is directly attached to it's own receiver, without cable.

It gives a huge enhancement to put the antenna and the receiver on top of a high tripod pole, instead of laying on the gnd or a table! The difference is like water and fire.

My "extreme" setup is two tripods with 3m telescopic center pole. Each carries a receiver and helical antenna on top, and are placed about 15m apart. The A/V,RSSI signal and power cables come together at my toolbox that holds diversity controller and monitor.

For antenna tripod i use yellow foldable lamp tripods from the home-improvement shop and extensions, cost about 10 bucks each.

Edit: The video-line is 75 ohm, so a high-quality (multiple shielded) sat antenna cable makes a good and cheap video cable. There is no need to buy specialized expensive cables. Please do not try to use these thin black cables supplied with receivers ... they blur the picture like crap.
Ai77 is offline Find More Posts by Ai77
Last edited by Ai77; Oct 27, 2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: video cable
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Basically... You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you just buy a new length of cable Sorry you made a bad purchase on that one, but it does happen sometimes. I do it all too often
Its never a bad purchase if its for my hobby. It will get used somewhere(perhaps replacement RG316 cable for when I crash and mangle my antenna's)
As for frustration...it wouldn't be fun if it didn't piss me off a little But yes, I will take your advice and buy the RP-SMA cable and go from there.

Look forward to joining you again when I am at that point again.

Grateful for your time guys.

E.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai77 View Post
A tracker makes good sense if you plan to fly across a wide angular scope. The helical has about 40 deg opening, which makes a wide field at distance, so a tracker becomes more and more inactive (and useless) with distance.
No, No, No. That's not NEARLY as cool and techno-geeky looking as an antenna moving up, down, left, and right as you fly across the sky (out of sight of most people). If nothing else, I vote for an antenna tracker just for the 'cool' factor!!! Of course, your justification really does make more sense.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member