Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:58 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,811 Posts
My favorites back in the 70's were Port City Hobbies (I think that was the name) in Columbus, GA and Lenox Toys & Hobbies in Lenox Mall in Atlanta, GA. I was into trains and C/L back then.... probably because I couldn't afford R/C. Both these shops were amazing to me because they had stuff you couldn't find in the JCPenney catalog. I live in a smallish town situated between Columbus and Atlanta and there is DEFINITELY nothing here so any time I got to make the trip an hour in either direction was like a trip to fantasy land.

Edit: And of course, both of them are gone now.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:03 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
My favorites back in the 70's were Port City Hobbies (I think that was the name) in Columbus, GA and Lenox Toys & Hobbies in Lenox Mall in Atlanta, GA. I was into trains and C/L back then.... probably because I couldn't afford R/C. Both these shops were amazing to me because they had stuff you couldn't find in the JCPenney catalog. I live in a smallish town situated between Columbus and Atlanta and there is DEFINITELY nothing here so any time I got to make the trip an hour in either direction was like a trip to fantasy land.

Edit: And of course, both of them are gone now.
You mention Lenox Toys and Hobbies in Atlanta. It was in a very large mall on the north side of Atlanta and was the new version of the Buckhead Hobby Shop located in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. Hugh Leamon, the originator and proprietor of the Buckhead Hobby Shop began the shop by selling model airplane kits and accessories in a corner of his father's lawnmower repair shop during WW-2. Soon he was making enough that the took over the lawnmower shop space and that was when I was introduced to it in 1948 when I begged my mother to buy me a gas controline kit, the Sterling "Mr. Mulligan". I was only eight years old so my dad, an ex-U.S. Navy WW-2 pilot, built it for me and I watched every bit of it. It was so nice it never flew, but it had an honored place on my bedroom wall. My next plane was a gas controline Megow "Flying Fool" profile. This one I built and learned to fly with Dad's help and I was on my way! I was churning out models one after another and my skills improved enough that Hugh Leamon asked me if I would like to work part time at the Buckhead Hobby Shop. I was sixteen (1956) and this was the "job of a lifetime"! The Buckhead Hobby Shop was one of those legendary hobby shops with wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling model kits ranging from scale and competition rubber, early RC, solid models, gliders, and the ubiquitous slip together hand launched balsa gliders. It also offered some sailing ships, power boats, tether cars, H.O. trains, and a full line of the Hudson Miniatures antique car models (I built a number of these). I worked at the hobby shop on the weekends, Christmas holidays, and during the summer all the way through college at Georgia Tech. It was during this period that Mr. Leamon opened Lenox Toys and Hobbies at Atlanta's first major mall around 1960. To my knowledge, this was the largest toy and hobby store in Atlanta at the time. Hugh Leamon was a wonderful man with a good sense of humor and I viewed him as a mentor to me. Sadly, there is no longer a Lenox Toy and Hobby and no longer a Hugh Leamon. But I do have fond memories of both.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:54 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,811 Posts
Awesome story Planeman! Yeah, we usually went around Christmas when we were shopping, or when we went to visit my brother who graduated from GT in 1980. What a great hobby shop! And how that whole area has changed.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:04 PM
Certified cat herder
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
260 Posts
B&F hobbies in Bakersfield California. Al Sandrini ran a good shop. I spent many an allowance there when I was a kid. I made the mistake of working there in the 90's. I don't think I took home many actual paychecks...
C. Alan is offline Find More Posts by C. Alan