HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
Help!
RC control

Ok, I am a complete novice when it comes to RC anything. I need some help!

I have a CopterX CX-CT6B and a CopterX CX-CR6B that I want to use to control my motorized Pan/Tilt Dolly that I built with parts from ServoCity.com.

The Motorized Pan/Tilt is basically just 3 12 volt motors.

I want to use the CopterX RC transmitter/Receiver to control three of these Precision digital speed controllers, that hook up to the three 12v motors.

Eventually I would like to do some kind of control servos/motors for focus an iris control as well. but that is not in this first build.

Anyway, What will I need to make these things work? I will have to have a 12v battery to run the motors, what about powering the Receiver? Will I be able to just hook up the Motor controllers to the receiver? anything else I am missing?

Thanks!
StudioEnFuego is offline Find More Posts by StudioEnFuego
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2013, 07:52 PM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
132 Posts
your receiver will be powered through the BEC off the speed controller. You really only need one of the "red" wires (from the 3 pin terminals) to be hooked up to power the receiver (of the 3 speed controllers), but it should be ok to leave all 3 into the receiver. Some people remove the other power wires from multiple ESC's to prevent issues with sensitive controller systems like on flight control board of multirotors etc. If you are powering all 3 motors/speed controllers from 1 battery pack, just make a 3 way harness off of the main battery line to each speed controller. For those motors you will need to either solder wires onto the tabs on the end, or get some small clips to plug on, as the connector for the motor wires coming off of the speed controller will likely not fit onto the motor tabs. The correct connector to plug into the speed controller wires would also be needed.

have fun
ArltTech is offline Find More Posts by ArltTech
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
Ok, Cool, so the speed controller will power the receiver? How will that physically hook up? I see that the speed controller has one 3 pin terminal, and I assume that goes to whatever channel I want to use, but what about the battery spot on the receiver?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
Ok, so I got everything hooked up, and it's not working.

I am not sure that my transmitter is talking to my receiver.. I did not get the binding cable with the receiver, would that be why I'm not having any luck?

When I plug the motor controller into the receiver, I see the light on the receiver flash once. Is that normal?

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:50 AM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioEnFuego View Post
Ok, Cool, so the speed controller will power the receiver? How will that physically hook up? I see that the speed controller has one 3 pin terminal, and I assume that goes to whatever channel I want to use, but what about the battery spot on the receiver?
The speed controller 3 pin terminal plugs directly into the channel you want to use is correct. The battery spot on the receiver is for using a separate battery pack to power the receiver if desired. In your case not needed as power is supplied from the speed controller via the 3 pin terminal.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:52 AM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioEnFuego View Post
Ok, so I got everything hooked up, and it's not working.

I am not sure that my transmitter is talking to my receiver.. I did not get the binding cable with the receiver, would that be why I'm not having any luck?

When I plug the motor controller into the receiver, I see the light on the receiver flash once. Is that normal?

Thanks!
You need to bind the receiver to transmitter, so yes this is why your system is not working. You will need a bind plug or need to fashion one yourself. Usually they are just a jumper wire for the terminals on the batt/bind port on the reciever.