SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2013, 12:33 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,079 Posts
RE: The ARF BOTs. When they first came out a buddy of mine bought one. Of course he snapped the wing right off the bat. Horizontal grain orientation for the sheer webs.

He was ready to chunk it since the wing and fuse was broken. I took everything home, uncovered, repaired, strengthened, on and on. I also moved the stab servo to the nose and used CF control rods. I spent a bit of time removing "splooged on" glue. Stuff appeared to be hot melt type adhesive. Recovered in Ultracote Lite. I don't remember the exact figures but my rebuilt BOT was around one pound less than the original configuration.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined May 2006
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmardister View Post
simple, but amazing.

when i built my sophisticated lady (trashed it cuz i didnt like the build, it wa WAY too tail heavy and i didnt know what to do about it) i was wondering why the nose cone was made of really light wood.

so you just get the wood wet so the molten lead doesnt burn it, then pour the lead in?
Depending on the wood it may be a good idea to coat the inside of the hole with epoxy before doing this. I've done this for years and years without a problem but I always do it outdoors using a lot of caution (eye protection, heavy gloves etc.).
Brian Agnew is offline Find More Posts by Brian Agnew
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,732 Posts
I rebuilt my wing with a multiple taper epoxy/glass lay-up and it never broke again. I did the same thing for my Prophet4 and that made it winch proof. BTW from a hand launch Brian once specked it out.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2013, 11:37 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Nov 2012
76 Posts
BOT Flying Video

Finally mounted my camera on the plane. Thought I would share.

Brian

Bird of Time Sailplane Thermal Flight (4 min 37 sec)
bennetbr is offline Find More Posts by bennetbr
Old Jun 09, 2013, 01:20 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,306 Posts
Just wait until I finish my BoT kit. I have an ARF already, and though it is heavy, it doesn't want to come down. I can't wait to finish the kit version. I just moved, and have to move again, so it'll be a while.

Kit building isn't quite dead yet.
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot