SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 03:07 AM
Joined May 2013
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epquilloy View Post
I see, so if my quad has 1kg payload, that capacity would depend on my average flight time, say, 10mins? Meaning, it can safely lift 1kg in addition to its weight and hold it at an altitude for 10mins. Am I correct?
thanks again for the clarification!
Yes, that should be your consideration. Just like your ability to hold a gopro in your outstretched hand for a long time vs. holding a heavy dslr. I'm sure you can hold either of them with your hand, but I am also sure that you can hold the gopro for a lot longer time before you get really tired. And even with a good rest, I doubt that your outstretched hand can lift a sack of rice even for a second. That's your payload over time analogy.

So assess your needs, identify your absolute minimum flight time requirement, then find out how long your quad can fly with and without your intended payload and adjust / decide from there.
Stringer is offline Find More Posts by Stringer
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:28 PM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
701 Posts
Philippine RC Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by epquilloy View Post
pano nga po pala uli quick computation ng payload/lifting cap?

payload = # of motors x thrust (in grams, with props) x 80%

tama po ba?

In a perfect world you would want 2:1 thrust to weight ratio.

Meaning if your multi weighs 1kg total - including battery and payload (camera, gimbal, etc), your total thrust should be 2kg.

If you load up to 80% of your maximum thrust, you will only have 20% thrust left for FC stabilization and control input. That would normally suffice but your efficiency will suffer as what @stringer said. Also, you put more wear on your motors and battery.

Having enough excess thrust is especially important if you have a multi with 6 or more motors with an FC that can compensate on motor/prop failure.
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape