HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Discussion
big sig kavalier

well im going to attempt a big sig kavailer. its going to be light. not as light as the attached lancer (2.5lbs auw 82 inch wing span) but hopefully not much more than twice that at 5 lbs. i want to use a 40 size electric. i need a sport plane for the club field and big bird fly ins. anyone try a similar light plane of this size? ill have to triple the control surface sizes to get a good flight response. not sure how to make the ailerons without a cheese slice cut out. pretty big one i imagine. balsa and light covering as materials. thanks for any advice you might have!
paulatgis is offline Find More Posts by paulatgis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:11 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,092 Posts
Always had a soft spot for the Sig Kavalier. it was one of the first RC models I attempted to build back in the day... Good luck with your upscale! How big are you planning on going?

Matt
M.Putnam is offline Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
I have a sig Kavalier drawn up for a friend of mine. I need to finish it on up for him at some point.

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:54 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Paulatgis,
Best wishes for your project. I'm not sure that you will need to up size the control surfaces all that much. Lighter weight means less inertia to overcome, and slower flying speed will result in less aerodynamic force to overcome. I've built several smaller, lightweight models, and they flew well with normal sized control surfaces.

Of course if you want to do more aggressive flying than the original Kavalier was designed for, then it's a different ball game.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
wing

wing came to 80.5 inches. I joined the wing like the guillows lancer instead of gluing two two wing halves together. basically each wing has half a spar extending into the other wing, then clamped and glued together. weight is about under one pound so far. still need leading edge. maybe lead with a balsa strip 3/8 x 1 inch then with foam block in front to shave down to curve - not sure on this yet. may go with thicker balsa instead.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
yeah. ill double the ailerons, maybe more. my smaller kav flies nice and scale like without super oversized ailerons.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
oh i like that cad drawing. if you get the cockpit drawn i wonder if someone can make it enlarge to the size of my plane. I cant figure out how to make other than carve it out of foam.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:40 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
Joined Jan 2002
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulatgis View Post
oh i like that cad drawing. if you get the cockpit drawn i wonder if someone can make it enlarge to the size of my plane. I cant figure out how to make other than carve it out of foam.
You could make a foam (or wood) plug of the canopy and have a clear plastic canopy vacuum formed. Of course, that sounds a whole lot easier than it really is...But it is possible.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
canopy. correct not cockpit. thanks. i might just make it in layers front to back then carve in the curves. same with the cowl i suppose. flow slow flyer, should the wing leading edge be fat and round or skinny and pointy? im not sure what works best with big planes..
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
fuse and wing semi test fit while making fuselage
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
got some flimsy wire landing gear on. may need to beef it up a bit. color scheme and stab covered. i think the red and blue are reversed on the stab in the original picture from sig, but I could not confirm - too late! should look fine though.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
wing covered. making progress slowly. need to drop those servos in and contect up control rods so I can begin covering fuse. so far balances out right at the cg with battery where it typically is.

couldnt solder the landing gear, so wrapped in thin wire and epoxied. pretty well good and tight even when i had to rebend where the wheels slide on.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
all done. should fly fine. i might upgrade my servos, but first have to figure out how to get it to the field. 6lbs with battery and motor. 16 x 10 prop - ill see how the combo works. might fly it tomorrow.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:07 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
Joined Jan 2002
1,092 Posts
Good Luck with the maiden!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts