SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
im still confused. so you more or less force the canopy apart at the sides by the posts and it will unclip ? i really appreciate the help
hawkfiend37 is offline Find More Posts by hawkfiend37
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:25 AM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfiend37 View Post
im still confused. so you more or less force the canopy apart at the sides by the posts and it will unclip ? i really appreciate the help
When the canopy is new, it is quite normal that it is very hard to remove. Thereafter it is much better.
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,479 Posts
File it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfiend37 View Post
What I do with new canopies is open the holes up with a small rat-tailed file. Just don't overdo it.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool View Post
I am saddened to read that stormforce is no longer with us. Although i am ten years older than he. When ever i post a question, i was like the younger brother waiting to hear valuable information from a older brother. I remember reading awhile back someone asking had anyone heard from stormforce.It was in june that he gave me valuable information on how to setup my walkera 4f180. That was the last time i heard from him.I will miss you fellow pilot. If it is true that you find all the things you love in heaven . Than brother you are in a place where your batteries will never run low.Until we meet again, spoolup and fly high. - James, Henderson - aka ( oldspool ).
Hi James,

Yes it was me asking if anyone had any knowledge about Mick, I tried emailing him many times and I ended up sending him a letter which I got no reply from so I sent another one and then his partner rang me to let me know that Mick had passed away. I was in shock at first as I was talking to him that night that he passed, I just could not and did not want to believe it this was my best mate and we talked every day and worked out and discussed how to fix our Heli's and how we could help all of the people here on this thread.

Even today I keep looking at Steam to see if he is online and then I have to correct myself that he is not here anymore, I think about the heli's and in my mind I am thinking of talking to Mick about it and what would be his thoughts on it.
In time I will eventually get out of thinking that way but for me he was as you say like a younger brother and it's like a part of me is missing in my life.

I would like to thank everyone on behalf of Mick's family for your condolences and I would also like to thank each and everyone of you that has created this thread with your questions and input that has helped Mick and myself help you all to enjoy this heli and has given you insight to go on and achieve your goals which Mick was wanting his baby to do and he has achieved that and more.

Thank You.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
Wow

Howdy people. A snowy day here in Boston.

So, after quite a lot of research I have ordered the DH 9116 off amazon. The price was rest $68 (free shipping) and Its a step up from my last experiences. (micro and a three channel). I still am very new to the hobby because with my earlier experiences I never really did any research, but just flew away, into the trees. So, Now I'll go over my interests. #1 is just to learn to fly RC's. #2 is to get some great ariel shots. I know most of this has already been discussed. But I just can't find it. BTW I do all my online shopping off amazon just because I have respect and trust for them.

Questions
1) I keep hearing about how the included battery is terrible. Should i consider getting a new one? even before my heli arrives.

2) This is my big question. What is the range like with this helicopter. Im hearing 100m... Is that realistic? could it be improved? (what happens if it goes out of range, also is there a way to tell if its getting close?) I don't want it to fly away to mexico!

3) I really want to get some nice arial shots/videos of the boston area. (don't worry Im far enough away and will fly over a big EMPTY field). I have a kodak zi8 (138Grams) Which i would love to attach to it, but i believe its probably like 50grams too heavy. I was trying to make it lighter, but it doesn't seem ilke it would work. Whats the best recording device? (a live stream would be awesome, but I'm not millionaire.)

Thank you in advance, I hope not to get slammed too much from the experienced people...
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,478 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade, but as an owner of 2 9116's I have to say this is a terrible candidate for Arial Video purposes. Without extensive modification I think this helicopter is way to heavy, too underpowered, and not very good with even a small wind. I've found very poor results as far as range - I have a few times gone about 50-70m but quite a few times I've had the signal drop and had to run to regain signal and land or return. In colder weather I can't even get my 9116's to fly for more than a minute.

I also own the MJX F45 and I have done a lot of video flying with this helicopter. Even the stock version is sufficient for carrying keychain cameras like 808 #16. With an upgraded battery (2000mah Nanotech) and EH200 Brushless Motor + 18A ESC you can get more power and better flight times. I have easily flown the F45 well over 100m and I don't think I've ever had signal issues. The F45 is a little bigger, very hardy, and easy to maintain. Here are some of the videos I've done with it:

Flying in the Valley (Fixed Pitch F45 Helicopter) (5 min 31 sec)

MJX F45 RC Helicopter Collage of flights, views & stunts (4 min 24 sec)

Winter Flying take 1 (5 min 37 sec)
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
sadly I have already ordered my 9116 so theres no going back. I would be prepared to make whatever mods are necessary, but as I have said, It has already been ordered. I don't understand why you are unable to get it to go past 55M, there are many videos of the plane going over 55m on youtube. But I do understand that it does not provide much "strength."
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,478 Posts
Don't get me wrong, when the 9116 works it is a nice little helicopter to fly. I have had some very fun, very smooth flights with it. Thanks to Stormforce's instructions I have learned a ton about how to setup and maintain this helicopter and used the skills on others. I still consider myself a n00b - I haven't even been flying for a year yet. But honestly my 9116's sit on the bench more often than they fly.

I've had to replace the PCB on both of mine - one twice. They seem to have quality control issues. The PCB is not designed for upgrades whereas the F45 has a built-in spot to hook the ESC for a brushless motor - making this upgrade quite easy even for a n00b! I fly my F45 many times a week. I fly very aggressively at times, and do stupid things like fly between obstacles, fly through tunnels, skim trees, etc. Out of all the heli's I own the F45 is my favourite*

Anyway, since you have the 9116 coming you'll want to read through this forum and see what others are doing to try and get the performance up. You'll need to drop some weight and probably find a way to get more power out of it to handle even an 808 series keychain camera and still be able to move around reasonably. I hope you are able to achieve what you are looking for with yours!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sodbust NW Kansas
United States, KS, Penokee
Joined Oct 2012
176 Posts
The 9116 was my second bird.. My first was a co-x and I could tell after the first day that I needed more of a machine than that co-x..

My 9116 looks like its been in WW3,, and between glue,, tape,, and a bent tail the darn thing still fly's... I got mine on sale for under $50 new and has been a great leaning bird not only to learn to fly but to also work on. I have seen it cart wheel 5 or 6 times,,, free fall from the sky at 30 feet and hit the ground ready to fly again..

The main trick is the moment you see your in trouble,, CUT THE POWER.. The damage too them always happens if the power is on when they hit something or crash.

I got a high dollar bird,, a 180Z wind walker,, and trust me when I say,, it don't like to crash.. Even a firm landing breaks stuff the old 9116 would laugh at..

I think my main motor is getting weak along with the battery's.. My flight time is now under 4 minutes but the bird has been in the sky over 200 trips..
Sodbust
Sodbust is offline Find More Posts by Sodbust
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just an old farmer... !!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
^thanks for the reply. Just wondering, How high was your max height? Also how high could you estimate it to go?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,479 Posts
9116 range

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
sadly I have already ordered my 9116 so theres no going back. I would be prepared to make whatever mods are necessary, but as I have said, It has already been ordered. I don't understand why you are unable to get it to go past 55M, there are many videos of the plane going over 55m on youtube. But I do understand that it does not provide much "strength."
I think your range will probably vary with where you fly. I live in rural NE PA and I've flown mine beyond 100 yds with no problem. My range is more limited by trying to see the orientation of the helicopter. Once it gets way out there it gets hard to see which way it's pointing. Possibly if you're in a suburban area with more radio noise it would cut down the range. Don't know.

Also, you may not want to go back. Although I have and am in the process of learning to fly my 6 ch's I love my 9116's. The parts for them are plentiful and cheap so there is no stress involved in flying them. They are just plain fun and I never regretted buying them.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Last edited by Pa flyer; Dec 02, 2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: more info
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:54 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
Howdy people. A snowy day here in Boston.

So, after quite a lot of research I have ordered the DH 9116 off amazon. The price was rest $68 (free shipping) and Its a step up from my last experiences. (micro and a three channel). I still am very new to the hobby because with my earlier experiences I never really did any research, but just flew away, into the trees. So, Now I'll go over my interests. #1 is just to learn to fly RC's. #2 is to get some great ariel shots. I know most of this has already been discussed. But I just can't find it. BTW I do all my online shopping off amazon just because I have respect and trust for them.

Questions
1) I keep hearing about how the included battery is terrible. Should i consider getting a new one? even before my heli arrives.

2) This is my big question. What is the range like with this helicopter. Im hearing 100m... Is that realistic? could it be improved? (what happens if it goes out of range, also is there a way to tell if its getting close?) I don't want it to fly away to mexico!

3) I really want to get some nice arial shots/videos of the boston area. (don't worry Im far enough away and will fly over a big EMPTY field). I have a kodak zi8 (138Grams) Which i would love to attach to it, but i believe its probably like 50grams too heavy. I was trying to make it lighter, but it doesn't seem ilke it would work. Whats the best recording device? (a live stream would be awesome, but I'm not millionaire.)

Thank you in advance, I hope not to get slammed too much from the experienced people...
1) No, the batt isn't that terrible - just doing its job - even fine for a LiIo type. If you want to get a bit more air time you have to switch to 800-900 mAh Lipos. And should invest in a third party charger, too.
(You'll find some recommendations in this thread)
2. Without modifications of your TX you have to be glad to get 100m range.
Mine have glitch free ranges of about 70m.
You can hook a 1.5 - 2 Watt W-LAN-booster to your TX and extend the range to a mile (and more) - it's a not so easy mod, but doable. Makes no sense for this sub-standard bird imho - the wind in 100m plus x height is considerable stronger than on ground and mostly more than the 9116 can handle.
3. The 9116 is really no candidate for arial photography and even worse for video. Too strong vibrations, too weak motors - upgrading not recommended - you'll open other holes for defects coming out...
There's a reason why most people use quads, hexas or octos for this job.

So I again have to repeat:
It is, first of all, cheap. Nine bought 9116 later – it IS cheap. So you get what you pay for.
But spare parts are cheap (and easy accessible) also.
It is and stays a toy. It is no hobby grade heli by any means but repairability.
It is not meant to be improved much, it won’t do good.
It has its flaws, is too heavy for a heli this size and power, but:
It is easy to fly, easy to repair, ideal for beginners who have a knack for fine mechanics.
You’ll learn a lot for this hobby with this bird, to take the next step to hobby-grade helis.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
145 Posts
Hey guys,

Not sure if posting here is ok but I'm selling my 9116. If you are interested in it, you can take a look at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772330

Thank you!
neosunrise is offline Find More Posts by neosunrise
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
as a newbee to flying the 9116 i figured that i should read thru all the hundreds of pages to learn as much as i can. today in my spare time i made it thru the first 40 pages and now i realize why you guys are so torn up about micks passing. what a nice guy, willing to help anybody. RIP mick
hawkfiend37 is offline Find More Posts by hawkfiend37
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:09 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
585 Posts
Hey guys

Are they there among you who has fly:

1 - V912
or
2- V922
or
3 - QS 9019 ?

I would like your opinion if someone information.

Thank you

Gilles
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Dec 04, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Closed Thread