HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:39 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
But the rth+stab.code should work on other arduinos too right.
Sure
But atm it's just an idea, still a long way to go.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
1 more flight!
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Aarhus
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Interesting. Subscribed...
/martin
Martintin is offline Find More Posts by Martintin
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
I have a problem uploading to my arduino. A simple program works fine, but when I try to upload version 18 in arduino 1.0 I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync

Has anyone else had this error? Does anyone know what is wrong?
using an Arduino uno
the program compiles and then starts uploading to the board (tx/rx leds flash) but after about 20 seconds the arduino program window gives me that error.
Thanks!
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:52 AM
Paris
Joined Dec 2010
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post
I have a problem uploading to my arduino. A simple program works fine, but when I try to upload version 18 in arduino 1.0 I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync

Has anyone else had this error? Does anyone know what is wrong?
using an Arduino uno
the program compiles and then starts uploading to the board (tx/rx leds flash) but after about 20 seconds the arduino program window gives me that error.
Thanks!
You should search net with google. I got plenty of references typing the error line. You could begin with arduino forum :
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...=1187909552/45
Hope it helps
PS : I have read that all versions of arduino IDE are not equivalent. I use 0.22 version. Perheaps you could try it.
happyusers is offline Find More Posts by happyusers
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, ID, Fruitland
Joined Apr 2008
32 Posts
I finally got around to hooking up one of the cheap GPS receivers I mentioned in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1280

The Pharos GPS-500 GPS unit ships with certain versions of Microsoft Streets and Trips. You can get them off Ebay for $19 + free shipping. See the post linked above for a link to the ebay auction.

The Pharos communicates at 4800 Baud with a 1 Hz update rate and works with both 3.3 and 5 volts. Hooking it up is pretty simple, just solder vcc, ground, and signal. The ground has to be looped back to a second pin as well. Check out this link for a description of how to hook it up.

All in all, the GPS works great and it's a cheap alternative to the higher end GPS units.
vasago17 is offline Find More Posts by vasago17
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasago17 View Post
I finally got around to hooking up one of the cheap GPS receivers I mentioned in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1280

The Pharos GPS-500 GPS unit ships with certain versions of Microsoft Streets and Trips. You can get them off Ebay for $19 + free shipping. See the post linked above for a link to the ebay auction.

The Pharos communicates at 4800 Baud with a 1 Hz update rate and works with both 3.3 and 5 volts. Hooking it up is pretty simple, just solder vcc, ground, and signal. The ground has to be looped back to a second pin as well. Check out this link for a description of how to hook it up.

All in all, the GPS works great and it's a cheap alternative to the higher end GPS units.
Great info, thanks. Have you changed any settings in the GPS, or just used the default GPS-settings? Just curious.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Apr 2008
32 Posts
I haven't been able to track down any information on changing the settings on the GPS. Right now, I only have VCC, GND, and TX hooked up on the GPS. I'm not sure which of the two remaining pins is RX and as I fried one of the two GPS units I ordered, I'm a little hesitant to experiment with this one.

I have read a couple places where people have succeeded in getting Pharos to send them a pinout for the GPS and at least one person was able to reconfigure the GPS data output but they didn't say which pin was RX or if they used the standard or proprietary commands to update the GPS settings.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Apr 2008
32 Posts
Just did a little more searching and from this page, it looks like Pin 4 is the GPS RX. Apparently in the Microsoft cable, RX is looped to pin 1. From what I'm reading in the comments on that page, you can send the GPS commands on pin 4. What's your take on it?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasago17 View Post
Just did a little more searching and from this page, it looks like Pin 4 is the GPS RX. Apparently in the Microsoft cable, RX is looped to pin 1. From what I'm reading in the comments on that page, you can send the GPS commands on pin 4. What's your take on it?
I don't have any knowledge on that specific GPS - so I no idea. Sorry.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Here is something I did relating to RTH airplane stabilization...

DIY Roll Stabilization Test on a remote control drone (18 min 26 sec)

roll stabilization using 2 gyros, 1 on the yaw and one on the roll. Basically:
signal from aileron channel goes to yaw gyro, which goes to roll gyro, which goes to a y harness, which goes to my 2 aileron servos.
It is a simple system which automatically keeps the roll axis level, and the plane headed in the same direction.
When I turned on both gyros, the plane stayed level and kept its path. The only time I had to give control input was to keep the plane from flying out of sight. the plane was a bit noseheavy so with some up-trim the plane leveled itself on the elevator axis too. I assume in a tailheavy/balanced plane GPS/another gyro could stabilize the elevator? I will post more pics later.
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2008
13 Posts
First I want to thank Dennis for this very nice work and his decision for open-source, super! Also I wanted to thank Seeers for his compact layout.

So I copied his, burned the bootloader and installed the software. Everything was not a problem. Unfortunately I now have a very strange picture on the screen, maybe someone else saw a similar picture or has a good guess. I would be very happy.

EDIT: I exchanged the LM1881 and got the same picture. Might there be any problem with the bigger characters?

Cheers Nils
nils1982ks is online now Find More Posts by nils1982ks
Last edited by nils1982ks; Feb 29, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
By pure accident i tumbled on to this thread and have read through it some times and followed almost all the links to know whats needed so already ordered a small Aurdino mini. Thanks for putting this work out for anyone to use, its just what i have looked for!

A request though:

Could it maybe be possible to program to have an output to just go high or put out a squarewave in a selectable frequency area from say 1 Hz to a few kHz and maybe even pulse this on and off in say a selectable interval of 0 to a few Hz? Then connect the trigger for this to a selectable Max setting like the battery for example or so?

By this you could just put a buffer like a transistor on that output to drive a simple speaker or a buzzer or just drive a LED directly or just light the hole thing up with LED stripes or anything to visually and/or audible warn of some max setting or so if not using the OSD in FPV by whatever reason.

For example if i fly a quad close to me or just testing it out i normally dont use FPV/OSD but it could be good to know when the battery is starting to drain when you already have the OSD on the quad instead of buying some gadget to do it for you that as usual isnt that exact.
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:48 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils1982ks View Post
First I want to thank Dennis for this very nice work and his decision for open-source, super! Also I wanted to thank Seeers for his compact layout.

So I copied his, burned the bootloader and installed the software. Everything was not a problem. Unfortunately I now have a very strange picture on the screen, maybe someone else saw a similar picture or has a good guess. I would be very happy.

EDIT: I exchanged the LM1881 and got the same picture. Might there be any problem with the bigger characters?

Cheers Nils
Hi Nils
I think your problem is the text allignment. For some reason, the text is moved too much to the right.
You can change it in the config/setup part.

Please try to set the align_text_ to 1

// Align text. On different screens/video signals I have seen, that the text is not alligned perfectly. Decreasing the number will move all text left, increasing the number will move it right.
// Smallest number allowed is 1
// Please be aware - no limits have been made, so you can move the entire text as much as you want. If you push the text "over the edge" (when you can't see it anymore) this will cause the text
// to interrupt with the "new line sync". You can give it a try to see what it does - but I deffinately recommend to keep the text on the screen when flying
#define align_text_ 22

Change to:
#define align_text_ 1
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined Nov 2006
80 Posts
Nice Work Dennis. OpenSource rules
One question. Where can i plug the RSSI in the SimpleOSD?
thanx
vscope
vscope is offline Find More Posts by vscope
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:19 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscope View Post
Nice Work Dennis. OpenSource rules
One question. Where can i plug the RSSI in the SimpleOSD?
thanx
vscope
Not to be rude or anything, but the pin marked RSSI would be a good place to start

But you can change the pin-config if you want to use another input.