HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:20 PM
United States, NY, Endicott
Joined Jun 2006
162 Posts
Discussion
Storing Li Ion and LiFe Batteries

Guys,

Though I've never used LiPo batteries, I know that you must store them in a half-charged state to prevent damage to them.

But what about Lithium Ion and Lithium Iron batteries? Seems like these batteries are used in applications where the user wants them to be as close to fully charged as possible, even after they've been setting for a while, so that they will deliver the longest run time of the equipment.

My battery chargers both have settings for "LiFe Storage" and "LiIon Storage". Is it really necessary to use this feature before putting the LiFe batteries in storage for a period of time (like a couple of months) or is it okay to just leave them in whatever state they're in and then fully charge them before putting them back into use again? Or should I just fully charge them before storage and then leave them in that state while stored?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Warthog_Fan is offline Find More Posts by Warthog_Fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,741 Posts
My Digitial camer Li Ion battery that stays charged for grab and go it about useless and the one that stays at 1/2 charge except when needed is still better than 3/4 capacity after 5 years.

True A123 Systems LiFePO4 seem to take being fully charged all the time just fine but then I do not have any that are 5 years old and most of mine are at aprox. 1/2 charge. I have two 2 cell packs A123s 2300s in flashlights that stay fully charged which seem to be fine after a year and one 3S 2300 that I run in an RC Truck which has stayed fully charged for right at 3 years. It has lost 50% of its capacity but has lived a hard life.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:28 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,553 Posts
My oldest A123 is only 3 years old. It's stored fully charged, ready to go, and is still performing well. I can't quote any data to show how it's fared, but I still get the same-duration timed flights out of it that I initially did.

I've got a couple of Saphion packs which are now 5 years old, and it's the same story with them
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn