Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:06 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
What model of F-22 is that??
That's an LX F-22. Big twin 70mm foamy. It's a good flying plane but there are some mods that have to be done for it be good plane.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:21 AM
Universal City
Joined Jul 2010
53 Posts
Have anyone put the Electric retracts in their F-18? Would like to put them in my F-18 that I'm in the process of building.
k-fly is offline Find More Posts by k-fly
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:01 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
I searched around but the only electric retracts weren't big enough or were heavy/very expensive. What were you thinking of putting in?
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:02 AM
Universal City
Joined Jul 2010
53 Posts
Yellow aircraft F-18 single
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:48 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-fly View Post
Yellow aircraft F-18 single
I meant what retracts were you thinking of putting in
Old Apr 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
Universal City
Joined Jul 2010
53 Posts
i was thinking about the Down and Locked Retract Systems.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:50 PM
Michigan
Joined May 2007
93 Posts
As much as it pains me, mine is going up for sale. Its the one this thread was started about way back in the day. I bought it from Sean last year, then suffered some health issues and decided it has to go. It really just needs the finishing touches, and is absolutely beautiful, as can be seen in the thread.
Dynamax/scorpion fan, CC110, 2 6s 5000 packs, rc crafters retracts as well as the stock gear. Just needs a rx, and button up the duct work.
I will have an add on the "other" site.
Scott9146 is offline Find More Posts by Scott9146
Old Apr 08, 2013, 09:18 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
That's a pretty Jet. I'm sure the new owner will be well pleased.

I found a video of the down and locked set in an F-18 but I think it's the twin version not the single. Not sure how big those are or whether or not they fit well.

YA F-18 Hornet with Down`n locked modified retract (0 min 44 sec)
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:07 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Anyone making any progress? Takes a long time to build this guy!

I built my RDS controls and next need to install the RDS pockets and servos. After that I can glass the wings and from there It on to installing internals and finishing work.

On a side note... I keep eyeballing 3d printers. I think I could 3d print some add-ons to the RCCrafter gear that would make the gear look almost 100% realistic. I need something to hold the brake airline to the main gear anyway and I'm thinking of doing some cad work to stick something on there that would make the gear look even that much cooler. That's a ways out though... but I'm really thinking it'd be cool to do something like that.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,359 Posts
Haven't finished mine yet. Getting my flying skills up first on the Habu 32 and a 10lb/4kw L39... Meanwhile--I want to replace the pneumatic retracts with electric ones. I don't mind keeping pneumatic brakes (as if I have a choice in replacing the current wheels/brakes from the RC Crafters gear...), but I want electric retracts. I've seen too many belly landings of expensive planes... Any suggestions? Would the E-Flite 60-120 size work? JTM 90mm ones? Others?
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:55 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
I still have the pneumatics on the dock to wire up. Haven't seen anything big enough or easy enough to install come by the radar. That said... equip is getting better all the time isn't it.

Meanwhile.. I'm going to fiberglass the wings one of these next days (or weeks you know how it goes) and then start doing finishing work.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:20 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,004 Posts
I have seen a lot more planes have gear probs lately with electric retracts than air. A guy this weekend just had problems with his Top Flite 85" FW 190 with one gear not working. I rolled off the end of the runway into some weeds with my XXX and one of the mains just stopped working afterwards. I have eflite 120s in that. On my Ultra Flash turbine I air it up once and can fly 5 flights before putting air in again. Electric retracts still have a way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Haven't finished mine yet. Getting my flying skills up first on the Habu 32 and a 10lb/4kw L39... Meanwhile--I want to replace the pneumatic retracts with electric ones. I don't mind keeping pneumatic brakes (as if I have a choice in replacing the current wheels/brakes from the RC Crafters gear...), but I want electric retracts. I've seen too many belly landings of expensive planes... Any suggestions? Would the E-Flite 60-120 size work? JTM 90mm ones? Others?
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Yoram don't be scared off by air retracts. When set up correctly they are extremely reliable, most mishaps are guys not knowing what they are doing! The Eflite 60-120's are garbage! Because of the backwards cylinder design used in the F-18 your are limited to just those unless you do major modifications!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:38 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,359 Posts
Ahhh... I didn't think about that... I do have the E-flite 120 on a Texan, and never had a problem yet. The easiest (and cheapest..) for me is to stay with the air retracts, as they are already installed... As far as "guys not knowing what they are doing", in the context of air retracts, this would describe me...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon