SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:21 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
My M5 Komrade has been busy making these carbon fibre tail savers.

Name: 003.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 196.4 KB
Description:

He has run the proto version all last year and it stands up well to abuse and saves the notoriously weak rear mudguard. As a bonus, it makes launching the bike by hand much more positive.

They'll be up on eBay soon but if anyone is interested in the meantime then PM me.

Cost will be roughly 18. (ex p+p)
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
It was my first run out of the year (long overdue) on the MkII Thed track. We had a fair few 1/8 buggies tearing up the surface the previous week so it was quite rutted pretty much everywhere. Whitham69 had tried a lead tape trick from golf clubs a while ago so I gave it the full double sided treatment on the front wheel and see how she went.

FanBloodyTastic! The front wheel staid sure and true through the rough stuff and was just SO much better than I've ever had (standard steering spring length/tension) The front wheel shook lock to lock (just like an '87 KX 500!) but it remained so very easy to keep things going. I nailed a lap straight from the off after a 6 month lay off. It stayed straight and true and went where I wanted over rough bumps. I can't quite get my head round how things went! It cost me 4 from eBay for the tape. Definitely recommended giving this trick a try!

Also thanks to ThrottleJunkie for the link to the 40A esc on the MM thread. The e-gyro never missed a beat!

Happy bunny!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:59 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gspeed View Post
Unfortunately 35wt oil will be no use at all in the rear shock, best option seems to be 3000 diff oil which works well.
Is that diff oil thinner, or thicker than the shock oil?

Any more opinions on which oil to use? Preferably one sort that suits both ends, if possible.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Aug 23, 2014, 03:34 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
I tried 10w in the front and 70w in the rear revo shock at sweetnap. Works lovely at the front but the track still induced cartwheels which was difficult to dial out except backing off the throttle a bit or find the elusive sweet spot line.

Post Sweetnap damage report:

S.I.D. the rider is looking a bit broken, with collarbone injury and upper thigh splitting. His head is hanging on, just. Chassis posts took a bit of a battering and need straightening. The gyro seems to have developed a bit of side to side slop internally but it kept going. Need to fix this. Beyond that I had no problems mechanically with it. It's still proving to be one tough little bike.

Sweetnap itself had some vicious bumps in it and somehow the M5 seemed to get through it. I'm still amazed at how well you can hustle these things around when you work at it. It might not be MM fast, nor as capable over 1/5 scale SC created bumps as a bigger 1/4 ARx, but this bike still has me smiling!