Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 02, 2016, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Brake Weight
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
Build Log
Another 1/35 Orlandoo project

The preliminary build is the same right out of the box. I've a few ideas of my own and will show them as I go. I started this about 6 weeks ago and have waited on my 200rpm motor that has arrived. Now that it's mobile I'm changing my mind on wheels/tires and paint scheme.

I did a CMS and haven't removed the 4 link to compensate for it yet. But it's made with some 0.032" industrial stainless tie wire. Stiffer piano wire would work better, but would oxidize too. I wanted a regular micro servo so I wouldn't have to be stuck with the low voltage gear from BGood. So it's a cheap XYZ esc and a dehoused HPI Rx. I'll be using 2s batteries that I run in my LMcC and my Micro Rallys.

I was going to order a set of those scale 3D wheels/tires for the static models that look so good. But finally decided they wee likely stiffer than what I wanted for a crawler. The stock Orlandoo wheels/tires are just too small. But I think the Micro T wheels/tires are just right. But they've been done several times and I had a brain storm on them. After I made a trip to my LHS to get two sets of them...they only had one set.

So, I dug into my box of micro parts and fished out a set of wheels I had ordered last year to put bike grip drift tires on for my Losi Rally. I never used them because I didn't bother whittling the axle holes out. They're for a WLToys 1/24. I do t remember the number designation. But it's the same as the Orlandoo's. So I disassemble the rear axle and used one of the half shafts. Mount the shaft to the wheel and chucked this into my cordless drill. Rubber banded the trigger and shaved the hub out with a fresh blade in the hobby knife. Then chucked that into my baby drill press and lightly smoothed it with some 200 grit paper until it fit perfectly into the barrel of the Micro T front wheel. The front wheels will be the two Guinea pigs for this experiment.

Now. Attaching them is a different story. I'm hoping to cut out the hub from the Micro T wheels and have the barrel be smooth enough to slip these in square. If so, I think a drop of 5 minute epoxy per spoke should be enough to hold it. Then I'll find a little tube that I can sit onto the wheel and give it a blast of spray paint. Figuring out the back spacing and gluing all four the same will be another task.

The paint scheme will be a simple military themed truck. Matte olive drab body with a white star on the door.

I opened the wheels wells a little different from what I've seen. They're completely round vs. the slightly egg shaped. I used a cut off handle from a shovel and wrapped it in sandpaper. It worked out well and everyone of them is identical.

I ordered these tires for my Micro Rally but they're too big for those wheels. After getting this Orlandoo I realized they may work. I'm waiting on a new set of wheels that they'll fit on. Even though they'll likely never get used, it's a possibility.

#CamBrady2017
Brake Weight is online now Find More Posts by Brake Weight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2016, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
Another 1/35 Orlandoo project

I whittled out the Micro T front wheels and another hub from the WLToys. It went a lot smoother doing it all on my little drill press. Now I just need to do the rears and sort the backspacing before attaching all of them.

#CamBrady2017
Old Jul 04, 2016, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by Mininitrohans
Joined Aug 2015
604 Posts
That looks very good!
Mininitrohans is online now Find More Posts by Mininitrohans
Old Jul 04, 2016, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
Thanks.

I got the wheels glued together last night. Gave them a shot of matte black this morning through the center hole of an old CD. Mounted them up and discovered that I missed the offset on one of them.

Obligatory mall crawler pics.
There's some rubbing on the rear of the fender. I've since sanded that down.

And I'll need to trim the bumper some more.

I'm overall happy with the wheels aside from the one oddball. I'll tend to that in due time. Hopefully the paint will get sprayed today or tomorrow.

#CamBrady2017
Old Jul 04, 2016, 10:21 PM
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
I was able to get two coats of Tamiya TS-28 Olive Drab 2 on during the course of today. Between the grilling, eating, and making of ice cream it came out pretty nice. I sprayed a coat of TS-80 Flat Clear to try to seal it in. But I forgot the tailgate. I'm gluing the mirrors and wipers right now and had to use different screws to hold the grill in. I'm thinking I'll pass on the door panel star unless I can find a sticker the right size.

#CamBrady2017
Old Jul 05, 2016, 12:24 PM
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
I've got to sort the wiring and there's some binding in the drivetrain causing some lean over I need to correct. I'm pretty sure it's the hubs contacting the axle housing and just needs a shave. What I thought was a poor installation of the one hub was just poor alignment of the upper links. I sorted that when I did the panhard this morning.

I used the removed upper link and bent it up out of sight and to take up the needed slack to square up the axle.

#CamBrady2017
Old Jul 05, 2016, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by fastmax
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Nov 2007
2,893 Posts
Looking good! I really like this little kit. Been meaning to pick one up myself, just haven't done it yet.
fastmax is online now Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Jul 05, 2016, 06:45 PM
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
I'm thinking of getting another one to use the chassis and drivetrain with the body of a static model. They're so small that you can't really do anything with it, though.
Old Jul 05, 2016, 09:58 PM
RCP Me!
Joined Nov 2007
2,893 Posts
It's definitely small. I was thinking maybe I could build a scale tabletop trail course for it. Something similar to a model railroad diorama but without the railroad.
Old Jul 06, 2016, 12:12 AM
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
I'm thinking about a 4x8' sheet of plywood with something like that. Make the obstacles modular with styrofoam so you can move and stack them. Then hang it up on the garage wall when not in use.

#CamBrady2017
Old Jul 06, 2016, 08:52 PM
RCP Me!
Joined Nov 2007
2,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I'm thinking about a 4x8' sheet of plywood with something like that. Make the obstacles modular with styrofoam so you can move and stack them. Then hang it up on the garage wall when not in use.

#CamBrady2017
Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Be a lot of fun to build, and a lot of fun to run on.
Old Jul 06, 2016, 09:44 PM
Joined May 2015
934 Posts
I'm also tossing around the idea of making some cement molds out of plywood and things. Then set those out around my wife's flower beds.

#CamBrady2017