HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:58 PM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
BN2 Islande questions

I'll soon be working on my BN2 but have a few questions:

1) Being into scale appearances, what affect will cutting off the upturned wingtips have on the plane's performance? I think they are really ugly.

2) I've read that the steerable nosegear is very delicate and easily broken. Has anyone come up with a mod for this?

3) Do you have to have a steerable nosewheel? Can it be fixed straight or castering and use the rudder only for keeping it straight on ROGs?

3) How about converting the plane into a taildragger?

Thanks, Bill
Bill Lesko is offline Find More Posts by Bill Lesko
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2005, 01:38 PM
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2005
959 Posts
I have a fixed landing gear as I added it after flying it without a gear for months. I have found that it was to my advantage to allow the front wheel to turn a little bit to compensate for torque from the motors. As long as the wheel doesn't turn too easily, it has worked great for me.
Travy is offline Find More Posts by Travy
Old Aug 17, 2005, 01:57 PM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
So it is not hooked up to the rudder servo and just casters around but not easily?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 02:13 PM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
Bill, Either of those 2 options can be done. The instructions show how to hook a linkage to the rudder servo. You can just leave that part out when you build it, and let the wheel stay free.
NJ Flyer 72 is offline Find More Posts by NJ Flyer 72
Old Aug 17, 2005, 02:18 PM
crazy builder
United States, CA, Santee
Joined May 2001
222 Posts
I dont understand ?

the real islanders had wingtips just like the GWS one so why cut them off if you are looking for a scale like appearance?

Go to airliners.net and do a photo search using the keywork islander you will see what i mean
flying_pig is offline Find More Posts by flying_pig
Old Aug 17, 2005, 02:30 PM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
I would like to forego the problems of the steerable nosewheel but I have doubts that the plane will be controllable on the takeoff ground run from propwash over the rudder alone. If the rudder was directly behind the prop like a single engine plane it would work, but a twin may not. Has anyone tried a free castering nosewheel with no ground run problems?

The pics of an Islander I seen didn't show upturned wingtips. I will have to check again more closely. Thanks guys Bill
Old Aug 17, 2005, 02:37 PM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
Here's a picture of a real one...
Old Aug 17, 2005, 04:14 PM
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2005
959 Posts
My front wheel is set so that it moves, but really only by hand. I can't steer it, I just turn it slightly left (from memory) then full throttle and I can take off after gaining speed. I can't taxi.
Travy is offline Find More Posts by Travy
Old Aug 17, 2005, 07:30 PM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
I'm actually building one now. Here are some pics. The 2 pictures show the wheel at it's limit of turning. There is a guard to prevent it from turning further. I also attached the direction page for the nose wheel.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:28 PM
field epoxy tech.
canada
Joined Feb 2004
131 Posts
I had that problem with the delcate nose wheel till I stopped crashing it and started flaring now with the lipos my plane is light and I have no problems . this plane doesnt like weight from my expirience if your close to the ground and your batt cuts out with little air speed you will get a nice tip stall followed by an unrecoverable nose dive in to the ground I flew it way too heavy with the 300s and a 1100mah 9.6volt kan packs man it flew fast though . its the only gws plane that ive had that can just drop out of the sky . you could try one of those dubro 1/2a steerable nose gear . I put one on my e sarter works well good shock absorbtion . epoxied an aluminum mount for never comes loose or breaks . Im not sure if the unsteerable nose gear works I'm thinking it will just go straight and thats about it . I love to be able to taxi this plane looks so scale

steve
modman is offline Find More Posts by modman
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the input guys. That's what make this site so valuable.

The picture doesn't really show radically upturned wingtips from what I can see or they are not as exaggerated as the picture of the GWS model. If they are greatly exaggerated I plan on carefully cutting them down or off and saving the pieces for reinstallation, if necessary. Anybody want to venture a guess on the flight performance change without them? In my opinion the picture of the GWS model makes it look like a "Batmobile" plane or something wierd.

Thanks for the nosewheel pics, instructions and all the good input. I think I will try to go steerable. Since I'm getting a SG model I can make up something really strong that will survive hard landings. My plane will be heavy with 8, 2/3 cells and 350 motors.

Talk about a plane falling out of the sky due to low airspeed, try the C-47. It's a killer. You have to fly it into a landing with power on the entire time. Mine has a few epoxy vains as proof of this. Very challanging, but fun. I'll keep you guys posted onthe results of all this when I finish the plane. Bill
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
Vampowered!
Crestview Florida
Joined Dec 2003
1,816 Posts
I love the islander. I have a Funtana, E3D30, Watage Cessna 182 and the BN-2 is my fav. Put foam wheels on her....she'll love you for it. Ground handling is stinky with the plastic wheels. I have almost 150 flights on it with a Vampower 2S2100. I would leave the wingtips on her too....not that they are useful but they do look scale as seen in the photo above.
Have phun!
Vammy
Vamooska is offline Find More Posts by Vamooska
Old Aug 19, 2005, 02:25 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,420 Posts
Leave the wing tips as they are man!! The GWS islander is the most scale looking model of the islander that ive EVER seen. The wingtips were designed like that by BN to give some stability in flight, its called tip dihedral, and also makes the model a lot more stable at low speeds. Without the tips, your plane will be more prone to tipstalls, and also look nothing like the real thing. I grew up flying back and forth between the Scottish islands in islanders, and have seen enough of the real thing to tell you its best to leave them alone. Enjoy the islander, I know you will !!!!!! Barry.
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Aug 19, 2005, 02:38 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,176 Posts
Then again, if he converts it to a taildragger, it won't matter what he does to the wings, because it won't be an Islander then anyway
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Aug 23, 2005, 01:19 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Dawn test flight - A OK

Much as I love my Islander she's been a bit of a challenge with glitching problems which have caused either one or two rises in the futures market for epoxy adhesive. However, finally got round to rebuilding her after the last one and then had to hold on the test flight yesterday defeated by the wind, but at dawn this morning we have a calm.

Picture shows her still in one piece after the test flight. The wall the Islander is sitting on is the boundary between my garden (back yard) and my regular flying field. How lucky am I? Other picture is a panoramic of the field - is that great or is that great? Don't mean the picture - I mean the field
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard